Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Jerry Goldsmith, dead

Jerry Goldsmith is dead. I'm saddened by this, as he's one of the top three movie score composers ever, in my opinion. And I was just thinking about him yesterday, I believe.

EDIT:

A five-time Emmy Award winner, Goldsmith also received 17 Academy Award nominations over a career spanning nearly a half century. His only Oscar was for "The Omen," in which Gregory Peck leads a doomed effort to stop the son of Satan from growing up and taking over the world. He also received a best song nomination for his song in that film, in which he reversed "Ave Maria" making it into a hymn for the devil, "Ave Satani."

Cool.

He was one of my favourite composers as well. He's probably most famous for his work on Star Trek - he composed the soundtrack for Star Trek 1, 5, 8, 9 and 10, as well as the theme music for the Next Generation and Voyager.

He scored the two Gremlins films, and even had brief cameos in them. Several classic TV series of the 50's and 60's also had music by him, including Perry Mason, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from U.N.C.L.E., and the Legend of Jesse James.

Bummer.

I've only heard the First Contact soundtrack, but it was decent enough that he's one of my favorite soundtrackers from that alone.

His stuff on Alien is pretty cool, too. It's not all movie-theme-ish, but almost ambient. It's a good feel for the futuristic space-horror.

Goldenthal is one of those guys that is in the same basic style as Goldsmith and Silvestri. Very cool music from all three of them.