Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dittohead

Weapon/Ammo/Monster Stats?

I know there's a program out there you can run on your levels to find out how proportioned the ammo count is to the number of monsters you have to blast. Anyone have an idea where I can get this?

I've never heard of a program that can tell you if your gameplay is good or not. It's really up to the designer to say whether it's good or not.

Mancubus II said:

I've never heard of a program that can tell you if your gameplay is good or not. It's really up to the designer to say whether it's good or not.

No, I'm pretty sure there's a stat counter. I think Grazza mentioned it to me one time. Apparently it calculates the amount of ammo that is available in connection with how many monsters and hitpoints there are to disperse.

Jim Flynn's STAT.EXE does that.

Example of usage:

stat yourwad.wad >wadstats.txt
This generates a textfile called "wadstats.txt" containing a variety of information about each level in a wad called "yourwad.wad".

Not a substitute for playtesting of course, but useful. Read the textfile for information on how to get it to include (or not include) multiplayer-only items. I'm not certain, but I think it takes into account ammo dropped by enemies.

I knew it!

Thanks Grazza. I'm just curious as to see how much lax my map has. I know I can beat it on UV with ammo remaining, but I know the average user isn't going to be as lucky and I think this tool will help.

Remember that if it is a slaughter-style map with big infights, then a 1:1 ammo ratio will be more than enough - though in a map of that type you probably want to give the player an ammo surplus anyway to allow for the inevitable panic, missed shots, and so on. And if it's a map with a berserk and plenty of opportunities to use it, then allow for that too. (etc.)