Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Metal_Sonic

Is zdoom the most popular port?

I'm Wondering is zdoom realy the most popular port?

according to sourceforge its not.
a search for doom (at the time of this post)on sourceforge comes up with

1st Doomsday
2nd the edge project
3rd Doom legacy
6th zdoomgl
8th prboom
9th vavoom
12th zdoom

on 22nd july
doomsday had 1,007 downloads
Legacy had 598 downloads
the edge had 52 downloads
vavoom had 49 downloads
prboom had 78 downloads
zdoomgl had 98 downloads
zdoom had 4 downloads

or am i missing something?

Some ports have pages on sourceforge, other ports don't. ZDoom is one of the latter, so obviously a search for it is going to come up with less results than a search for a port which does have a sourceforge page.

Plus those download stats quite obviously only reflect the number of downloads from sourceforge itself. There are many other places to download from - 3darchives, the ports' websites, 3D Downloads, File Planet, etc.

Although ZDoom has a Sourceforge site most of its business is done at zdoom.org so the numbers are not representative.

The Sourceforge site is linked from nowhere and most people downloading from there do that merely by either accident or random chance.

News to me.

Anyway, ZDoom is pretty much the most popular port for level and mod designers, but Skulltag and ZDaemon are more commonly used for on-line play, and JDoom are popular amongst the casual players (i.e. people who only play Doom once a month or whatever) for the OMG priti grafixx!!!!111 Of course there are far more casual players than there are hardcore Doomers...

EDIT: Legacy is quite popular amongst casual players too, particularly for it's splitscreen mode.

http://zdoom.sourceforge.net/download.html
so where ae these /lars links?

people probably download the other ports from those other places too.

and JDoom is popular amongst the casual players (i.e. people who only play Doom once a month or whatever) for the OMG priti grafixx!!!!111 Of course there are far more casual players than there are hardcore Doomers.

have you checked out here occasionaly? (not allways has servers running but has alot at the peak times) with the new netcode alot more people have bee playing it online (but not through doom connector) http://www.doomsdayhq.com/master.php

On Zdoom's homepage.

http://zdoom.org/download.html

BTW you speak as if sourceforge is the primary download site for all Doom ports. This might be the case for some ports, but it's far from true for all of them.

Heh, I never said Skulltag and ZDaemon are the only ports people play on-line, just the most popular for this purpose.

And don't forget that those download stats include all the non-engine related stuff on the site - like the model pack on the Doomsday site. My guess would be that 80-90% of all people who want to check out Doomsday also load the resource pack as well.

What I find much more interesting is the low amount of downloads for EDGE and Vavoom which use Sourceforge as their primary means of distribution.

EDIT: Isn't the most recent version of Doomsday rather new? That would also increase the download numbers because everybody has to upgrade.

Metal_Sonic said:

the good non engine related stuff arnt found on sourceforge either. find the links to them here jdql.tk

The casual user won't know about that and try what's obvious first!

EDIT: Isn't the most recent version of Doomsday rather new? That would also increase the download numbers because everybody has to upgrade.

dosn't zdoom upgrade alot too?

Graf Zahl's post made me realize an interesting (and obvious) point: the more often a port is upgraded, the higher the download count will be.

Doomsday is upgraded relatively often, but in the case of ZDoom, there hasn't been an 'official' release for several years, rather countless 'unofficial' versions. Many people hear the words 'unofficial release' and instantly associate them with 'unstable', and even though in the case of ZDoom this is far from true, most casual players won't know this and hence stick with v1.22.

NiGHTMARE said:

Graf Zahl's post made me realize an interesting (and obvious) point: the more often a port is upgraded, the higher the download count will be.

Doomsday is upgraded relatively often, but in the case of ZDoom, there hasn't been an 'official' release for several years, rather countless 'unofficial' versions. Many people hear the words 'unofficial release' and instantly associate them with 'unstable', and even though in the case of ZDoom this is far from true, most casual players won't know this and hence stick with v1.22.

The download statistics Randy once posted on his forum seem to confirm this. The download numbers for 1.22 are twice as high as for the most recent version.

It was suggested too many times that he take 1.22 off line but he doesn't - and if there is one thing this version is not it's being particularly stable! I can't run it on my new computer anymore due to the shitty libraries it uses. Anyway, the link on Sourceforge's download site doesn't classify 2.0.63a as 'unofficial'.

I didn't know there was that sourceforge site either. Everybody downloads zdoom from /lars!

Graf Zahl said:

What I find much more interesting is the low amount of downloads for EDGE and Vavoom which use Sourceforge as their primary means of distribution.

I'm not surprised at all with the EDGE stats. Given that that our web presence is still under new development (so nothing for new people to get their teeth into) and the project was in statis for the best part of two years (people's interest is not be maintained in a presumed-dead project).

In contrast you have:

ZDoom which has been in constant development since '99 and has a thriving website and associated community.

Legacy historically has been very popular through its multiplayer capability and that remains strong. You'll find legacy quicker on Google then the others. (Enter "Doom" and it'll be the 5th entry)

Doomsday is a popular alternate with new textures and graphical effects.

are you sure over at newdoom legacy is more popular than doomsday?

legacy may have more post but that is because the incident over at newdoom, legacy had backups of its threads, doomsday didnt.
And do you see how many people are in the doomsday forum compared to the legacy forum.
right now 11 people viewing dday forum
and 8 viewing legacy.
but most of the dday forum visitors dont join newdoom

the edge project is a very good port pitty ot to may people have it

But let's not forget that there isn't much going on in the Newdoom forums. Even the ZDoom forums have more traffic than all of Newdoom combined it seems at times.

Linguica said:

Doomworld: ZDoom
Newdoom: Legacy
Casual non-"community" players: Doomsday

the end

Couldn't have said it better myself, except to add "compet-n: doom2.exe (or PRBoom for viewing demos in non-Win32 systems)".

Cant we stop trying to funnel people towards our own favourite things? People have brains and can take things on their own merits if they have a chance.

For those who hates all the extra and pointless stuff, they choose Prboom, or PureDoom.....or maybe Eternity..

Metal_Sonic said:

http://zdoom.sourceforge.net/download.html
so where ae these /lars links?

people probably download the other ports from those other places too.

have you checked out here occasionaly? (not allways has servers running but has alot at the peak times) with the new netcode alot more people have bee playing it online (but not through doom connector) http://www.doomsdayhq.com/master.php

I know this has been answered, but not in the fullness that maybe it should be. The lars files are here --

http://www.zdoom.org/files/lars/ Download the highest numbered cab, for instance 63a.

Deathman said:

For those who hates all the extra and pointless stuff, they choose Prboom, or PureDoom.....or maybe Eternity..

YAY! We're about to start beta testing on v3.31 final, which will be the second non-beta release ever, so keep an eye out ^_^

chilvence said:

Cant we stop trying to funnel people towards our own favourite things? People have brains and can take things on their own merits if they have a chance.

Pff.

Doomsday and Legacy suck, by the way.

Pff.

Doomsday and Legacy suck, by the way.

dont get of topic smack face.

this is about if zdoom is the most popula not what ports suck.