Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Udderdude

Doom 3-themed ZDoom/Legacy maps?

Anyone looking forward to these? Looking forward to making these? Personally I think it'd be a cool project to attempt. After everyone's done playing Doom 3 to death, of course.

Yes, I really hope to see some kind of DOOM 3 Tc, my computer has no chance to run the game.

Level 1 of Ultimate hell (which is EDGE but anyway...) is kind of doom 3 themed, a screenshot is on WIP somewhere

I looked at Ultimate Hell on WIP .. that's not really what I'm talking about. I mean something like a zDoom map with Doom 3 textures, enemies (converted to sprites, of course), weapons, etc.

udderdude said:

I mean something like a zDoom map with Doom 3 textures, enemies (converted to sprites, of course), weapons, etc.

That would look like shit. Why would you want something like that?

Why would Doom 3's textures magically transform into shit once put into Doom? I don't get it. Did Quake textures turn into shit as soon as they hit the Doom engine? Uh, no. They wouldn't be as high quality as the original Doom 3 textures, but they definately wouldn't look like shit. Same with the sprite-converted enemies and weapons.

Quake textures were 128x64 and such, as well as Doom Textures, hence they didn't look to bad. Doom3 Textures on the other hand 512x512, rescaled to 128x128 WILL look horrible. Then there is the pallette. Quake and Doom have plenty of browns, so Quake texes fitted well into Doom. Doom3 on the other hand are hi-color, plus many shades of blue and green that Doom's pallette lacks in-they will look crappy. Then there are the enemies-models have smooth animation-converted to sprites they will have jerky animations and will be pixelated, unless are hi-res made for Zdoom with additional movement frame. But then again-did I mention the pallette?

Some stuff from newer games can look good when put into doom, those walking slime-throwing things from half life show up in a few wads and look quite nice, as does the big blue bug, Also ive seen some VERY nice Q2 weapon sprites. I'm giving us 2 weeks post-doom 3-release before we see "Doom 3 monster patch" "Doom 3 weapon patch" and "Doom 3 Texture pack" turning up in /newstuff

doom3...converted...<breathless laughing>...into....<again breathless laughing>....sprites

that WOULD look shit (and slightly funny...DO IT DO IT)

udderdude said:

Why would Doom 3's textures magically transform into shit once put into Doom? I don't get it. Did Quake textures turn into shit as soon as they hit the Doom engine? Uh, no. They wouldn't be as high quality as the original Doom 3 textures, but they definately wouldn't look like shit. Same with the sprite-converted enemies and weapons.

Doom3 textures have bumpmapping.

doom3...converted...<breathless laughing>...into....<again breathless laughing>....sprites

You never know, it could look good, especially with scaling, and a bit of luck..

The original Doom sprites were created by photographing clay models from various angles, and this isn't so different from what is presumably being proposed here - just instead of a clay model you have a 3D computer model.

I converted screenshots of DOOM 3 into DOOM pal with PSP and they look very similar (thanks god). I'm sure that with patience it is posible to turn the ultra detailed models into cool looking sprites. If the behavior can't be done with Zdoom, it will probably be posible with Jdoom's dlls.

Grazza said:

just instead of a clay model you have a 3D computer model.

Indeed, the method of turning models into sprites has been well known and used in the Industry-like Raven used it for Hexen, Heretic and Midway used it for Doom64. Nevertheless there is still the pallette. It is obvious that doom's pallette was prepared to fit the colours of the models, latter sprites, not vice versa.
Vegeta, might I ask what method of pallette applying did You choose? If You choose the error diffusion, true, large things (like D3 shots) will look good, but small ones.. ugh. Besides, they will need some hand editing, unless converted to decenly hi-res sprites (let's say 150x90) and rescaled.

Well, I just loaded the doom.pal with "nearest color matching". I tested it with just a few screens, but as far as I saw, it looks good, at least for me.

sambobbilly said:

YUO DUMB

But this could really look good if you knew your way around Doom palette conversions, and if you scaled the "sprites" with a dehacked lump...

It's just me, but i think something like IKSPQ5 (That Quake map by Keranen that looked like Quake 2), but done for doom (Doom map that look like Doom3, but NOT a TC!) would be one of the coolest thing to expect...

Nmn said:

Quake textures were 128x64 and such, as well as Doom Textures, hence they didn't look to bad. Doom3 Textures on the other hand 512x512, rescaled to 128x128 WILL look horrible.

Don't forget that ZDoom, JDoom and a few other ports are capable of using high res textures. Of course, the palette is another issue entirely.