Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtmaWeapon

Am I a rare breed?

I'm basically a Doom newbie. It's not like I never heard about it, but I think I've only played it once in my life and it was only to try and use ZDaemon to do some netplay, which didn't work for some reason. Anyway, I picked up Doom collector's edition from Wal-Mart and started playing today. Following the advice of a friend who led me to this site, I used ZDoom instead of Doom95. After 10 minutes I see why the game has such a following. I figure I'm kind of uncommon, a person who never played Doom at all.

My friend's not the only one that got me interested in Doom, though. I work with someone who constantly refers back to how he used to be big in the Doom map-making scene. He went by Driller online, and claims some of his maps were distributed with magazines. He has also pointed out some of his maps inside a map pack called Memento Mori. Does he ring a bell with any of you guys?

MAP 02 - The Bridge
by David Davidson (driller@cris.com)

Searching for his name gives 29 files

Yep, that's him all right. I think The Bridge is a map he showed me once, it looked really cool. We talk a lot, and he goes on and on about the days of BBSs and playing modem to modem against people. I missed out on that time, we didn't really get a computer until 97 or 98.

I have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me with. I like watching speedrun demos of games, and I was excited to find there was a Doom Done Quick (and Quicker). However, the links from the speed demo archives are to fileplanet, and fileplanet says the file cannot be found. I've dug around the demo links at this site, but they all seem to be for individual levels and I had a little trouble determining if there was anything about entire episodes there. Are there any good places not in the links I could get to?

Also, I'm the type of person that likes learning how to get 100% in every level. I know plenty of places to get text walkthroughs of the entire game, but those can be confusing and I don't like switching back and forth from game to text. It would be cool if there was a guide that had screenshots of the area each secret was in. Does such a site exist? If not, then I will have to make it :p

Anyway, I'm already addicted, so I'm going back to playing. Curse you for getting me started, AlexMax!

*edit*

Wow -- you actually know this guy, huh! Cool!

Yeah, I work with him. I won't give too many details because I don't know how much he'd like me giving all his info away, but we work in the IT department of a manufacturer in TN. He's in a different plant than I am, but my plant has more people and I'm a temp worker (doing co-op rotations, one semester school one semester work), so when there's a virus eruption they send me to help him out.

Oh, dude.

DOOM done quick(er) is totally outdated.

http://www.doom2.net/compet-n/index.cgi

This has tons of speedrun demos for you to find. I would also encourage you to start hanging around the Demos forum, as there are a lot of tool assisted demos you can read about there -- including my personal favorite of all time, Andrey Budko's Ultra Violence DOOM II run in 14:48. Extremely entertaining.

Also, a deathmatch demo archive has just gone up, courtesy of myself (Mogul on ZDaemon) and Opulent, demo guru.

ENJOY!!1

Hmmm lemme dig up a link to where you can get that Andrey Budko TAS run...

Mogul said:

Oh, dude.

DOOM done quick(er) is totally outdated.

http://www.doom2.net/compet-n/index.cgi

This has tons of speedrun demos for you to find. I would also encourage you to start hanging around the Demos forum, as there are a lot of tool assisted demos you can read about there -- including my personal favorite of all time, Andrey Budko's Ultra Violence DOOM II run in 14:48. Extremely entertaining.

Also, a deathmatch demo archive has just gone up, courtesy of myself (Mogul on ZDaemon) and Opulent, demo guru.

ENJOY!!1

It is not just fucking tas demos in the demos forum, also un-assigned demos like mine. :P

Well, that depends. Most demos recorded with doom2.exe will not work with several ports. I recommend watching them in prBoom. In fact, the Budko TAS runs were made on prBoom I believe. And of course, if you've got windows9x, you can watch them with doom2.exe.

So how to get them working? Here's an easy way. Create a shortcut to the program you're using (doom2.exe, prboom.exe, etc) and right click, properties, shortcut tab, and in the command line, write "-playdemo demoname" where demoname is the file's name. Note the dash before playdemo. No quotation marks should be used either.

After that's typed in, just run the shortcut.

Mogul said:
"write -playdemo demoname"

I knew Write was the "limitless" version of Notepad... I didn't know it had additional features too; nevermind DOOM demo support!