Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Star Wars Episode III title announced

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return of the Jedi was originally Revenge of the Jedi, but George Lucas decided that Jedi wouldn't seek revenge, a couple months before it was released. Since this is also the end of a trilogy, it is fitting that it parallels Return of the Jedi, since this is the end of the rise of the sith, and the return of the jedi is the end of the destruction of it.

Alientank said:

What a crappy name

Yeah, return of the jedi, WTF was he thinking? The empire strikes back? Is Lucas actually inspired by anything?

I was hoping for 'Rise of the Empire', but 'Revenge of the Sith' is okay. It's certainly no worse than 'The Phantom Menace'.

Danarchy said:

Still won't get me to see it though.

You might if I mention that

[spoilers]

Anakin gets thrown into a volcano.[/spoilers]

Um, I knew that ever since I read the Star Wars novel about a decade ago.

It's probably going to be worse than Episode I & II combined. It's going to be a big Lucas horse dung orgy of garbage.

Good name. I'll watch it because it's Star Wars but this trilogy is already crap. He should have hired a damn director.

-E

It's not the final film. George Lucas has 3 more movies to make, that's 9 episodes in all, the second three movies take place in the middle of the story, the first three from the beginning, and the last three are supposed to take place a few years later after the deathstar was destroyed. Wasn't there a tv series of star wars though about that?

I heard that when asked about sequels to Return of the Jedi, all the original cast members plainly said "no" to the idea. Oh well, I'd still like to see a "Star Wars Episode 7: Mid-Life Crisis". :P

But this new Episode 3 sure has a lot of ground to cover, if they even hope to bridge the events of this new trilogy with the original one.

Bloodskull said:

It's not the final film. George Lucas has 3 more movies to make, that's 9 episodes in all, the second three movies take place in the middle of the story, the first three from the beginning, and the last three are supposed to take place a few years later after the deathstar was destroyed. Wasn't there a tv series of star wars though about that?

It is the final film. In the 70s, there were nine chapters. The story is different now, and there are only six. I've heard Lucas himself say that he's finished with Star Wars movies after this next one comes out.

This is only speculation, but I assume that he won't want to do the rest of the films because of --

a - He changed his mind, and simply wants the saga to end at VI.

b - the HUGE amount of books written that take place after the final movie don't really leave that much room for another movie to take place in. Well, they could do a movie with the space they have, but I don't think anyone wants a movie that has to cut corners around the "expanded universe" that basically amounts to professional fan fiction. On the other hand, if he completely shafted all of the books and made episode VII as if they didn't exist, that would upset probably millions. He's really between a rock and hard place, here.

"The Phantom Menace" should never have been made and I'm going to blatantly refuse to admit that the prequel trilogy ever existed.

If Lucas would just allow the original version of the original Trilogy (as in, not his crappy "Special Editions") to be released on DVD I would be happy, but he won't even do THAT.

I bet they'll turn it into a TV series after the last movie.

Mogul said:

b - the HUGE amount of books written that take place after the final movie don't really leave that much room for another movie to take place in.

What's more infuriating is the fact that George Lucas has basically shit on most of the writers of Star Wars novels, pre-EpI. Even the original films create holes in the new flicks.

For example, in the Bounty Hunter books, Boba Fett was once a disgraced copper named Jaster Mareel, who became the bounty hunter we know and love. Lucas tossed that one out of the window and came up with the clone storyline instead.
Incidently, you don't get the impression that stormtroopers are clones in the original trilogy. Something about the bantering strikes me as a bit off to come from a clone.
PLUS, Obi-Wan makes out that he was trained exclusively by Yoda in TESB - then Lucas throws Qui-Gonn into the mix and messes that up, too. And i can't believe that Haley Joel Osment and Ryan Phillipe weren't chosen to play Anakin. And... and... argh. Lucas should die. Both him and that dodgily-bred squirrel that passes for a toupé.

Ichor said:

Throw Jar Jar into the volcano instead.

Arg I had forgotten about that thing, thx for bringing it back :(

Anyway I've seen worse titles for movies, this one isn't so bad IMO. I'll surely go see it since I saw them all and I hope it will be good.

insert:
Return of the Jedi was originally Revenge of the Jedi, but George Lucas decided that Jedi wouldn't seek revenge, a couple months before it was released. Since this is also the end of a trilogy, it is fitting that it parallels Return of the Jedi, since this is the end of the rise of the sith, and the return of the jedi is the end of the destruction of it.

I heard the second Star Trek movie was going to be named "Revenge of Kahn" but after Lucas told the media his third Starwars movie was going to be named "Revenge of the Jedi" they changed it into "the Wrath of Kahn" to avoid confusion amongst SF-fans. Then Lucas changed it to "Return of the Jedi".

dan:
Star Wars: The Phantom Plotline

hey, that's funny :-)

Mogul:
I assume that he (George Lucas) won't want to do the rest of the films because of --
a - He changed his mind, and simply wants the saga to end at VI.
b - the HUGE amount of books written

c- He is too old and too fat to make any more movies after this one...

Myk:
bet they'll turn it into a TV series after the last movie.

They already did that, it's called Battlestar Galactica :-P