Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ss121883

Doom on P150

I want to play Doom on a P150 w/32 megs of RAM with a Gravis gamepad. I want to be able to strafe using two buttons (left/right, not the default toggle feature), and be able to switch between weapons via the controller; exactly like the PSOne doom, basically. DOOM95 won't let you do this. Doomsday does, but my laptop doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

So, is there a custom Doom launcher that can do what I want, but can also be run on my laptop?

Depends on how his laptop keyboard is. Some are good some are crap.

Btw FPS with a pad are very nasty and make your play style looks rather retarded. I think regular keyboard is better than pad.
Then mouse + keyboard is the next level.

Relica Religia said:

heh, zDoom tend to be slower than other ports in some maps, at least on my system.

I actually run prboom faster than zDoom in maps like hr2-32 or Deus Vult (the splitted ones).

For an old computer I would recommend using 320x200, anything higher would be like a slug under sedatives. Try different ports and make your choice.

For this specific old config I would go for keyb+mouse with either , dos legacy, dos zdoom, doom95, dosdoom, boom or vanilla doom2.exe.

Most Windows ports need too much power.

I would strongly recommend to give up your pad and switch to mouse + keyboard :)

:) IMHO, gamepads actually work real well. I got turned onto the Doom/gamepad thing with the Playstation Doom, which has notoriously great controls. Once you get used to it, movement is silky smooth (it would be a different story if you had to freelook).

ZDoom in Windows 95 was kinda slow, so I settled on the DOS version of ZDOOM at 320X200. It runs good, and the gamepad works great.

we should do a DM and see how you do as a gamepadder... I would be interested to see how you can be more efficient than a good mouser :)