Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

Another Doom Review 96/100

Original Link: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29477

PC Powerplay (a popular australian games magazine)

"No mention of "lame attempts at humour", the reviewer said it "provides a much needed comic touch" amidst the tension. Reviewer seems very impressed with the level design, saying that it's exceptionally well-done for a space station."

Some worthy quotes:
"DOOM 3 is akin to a heavenly experience."

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."

"The DOOM 3 shotgun - and believe me when I say I don't speak lightly here - is perhaps the single greatest thing ever."

"DOOM 3 is an exemplary case of just how an exquisitely balanced weapon economy can mine greater depth from a seemingly simple situation."

"Shadowy figures dart across your periphery vision, crazed voices call out for you to follow, satanic runes pulse along the walls, the screen distorts or drips blood and you'll surrender control for a moment all in an effort to unsettle you and sustain an ever present sense of menace."

"... the tale is predominantly told via voice and video links with the other main characters, while the finer details are further fleshed out through accessing emails and video and audio logs on the PDAs of the dead or missing."

"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' "

Final Verdict:
For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100

Oh, and in certain circles (damn those pirates), the word out is

To quote a few people:

"This is perhaps the best game ever made, period."

-man, forget doom. DOWNLOAD THIS NOW
-you mean to say its better than doom?
-does a bear shit in the woods?

"lol, I feel sorry for you. Wait til you see the other baddies."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

"man oh man oh man, i can use this shotgun forever"

I feel like the little girl who saw the porridge (Goldilocks?).

doomedout said:

Oh, and in certain circles (damn those pirates), the word out is

To quote a few people:

"This is perhaps the best game ever made, period."

-man, forget doom. DOWNLOAD THIS NOW
-you mean to say its better than doom?
-does a bear shit in the woods?

"lol, I feel sorry for you. Wait til you see the other baddies."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

"man oh man oh man, i can use this shotgun forever"

I feel like the little girl who saw the porridge (Goldilocks?).

You're kidding me right? It's not out in warez is it? :/

doomedout said:

For
- Gripping atmosphere
- Superb level design
- Perfect weapon balance
- Awesome graphics

Against
- We honestly can't think of any

Overall
A frighteningly intense experience and an absolute masterpiece of FPS design.

Score:
96/100

I'm confused. Another review where they "can't think of any" cons to the game yet give it a 96 out of 100.

Either way I'm happy, this game is gonna rock.

-E

*Spoiler*

New scans are out, both Aussie and German ones.

Vagary and Mancubus are shown along with different zombies.

The aussie mag gave it 96%, the german one I think gave it a 94%, though I can't really make it out.

**There are definitely two shotguns, one looks more massive than the other, but still single barreled. Looks like the super shotgun.**

doomedout said:

*Spoiler*

New scans are out, both Aussie and German ones.

Vagary and Mancubus are shown along with different zombies.

The aussie mag gave it 96%, the german one I think gave it a 94%, though I can't really make it out.

**There are definitely two shotguns, one looks more massive than the other, but still single barreled. Looks like the super shotgun.**

Got links for us?

-E

doomedout said:

"Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!' "

heh

doomedout said:
Against: We honestly can't think of any
Score: 96/100[/B]

Not even four percent?

*DELETED*

/me runs

Note from Lord FlatHead: those scans are waaaay to spoilery for the spoiler-free forum. In fact I already regret having seen them :(

doomedout said:

Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!'

Heheheheheh.

doomedout said:

Heh, it looks like a bunch of game developers read some whiny threads about chainsaws on Mars.

You are kidding, right?

As far as the pirates go? It can't be out yet, it's gotta be all jibba jabba.

Confused,

The Bruce

Early on you find an email from a guy complaining that an ordered shipment of jackhammers turned out to be chainsaws instead. 'What the hell were they thinking?' he writes. 'Chainsaws serve no purpose on Mars!

Thank christ. I just assumed they were going to be some annoying "sci fi" metal cutting chainsaws. They really didn't have to wait a year to tell us that.

Black Hand said:

Thank christ. I just assumed they were going to be some annoying "sci fi" metal cutting chainsaws.

You know, until just now I never thought a chainsaw on Mars was strange. Damn, this is weird, all this time it never occured to me why there would be a chainsaw on Deimos or Mars. Ha!

Oh well, I guess I really DON'T nknow everything.

Darn.

The Bruce

Question -- etimmerAZ,

Why do you sign your name as "The Bruce" at the bottom of EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts? You also post your mood in closing, like this is some radio call-in show.

I hope it doesn't offend you too badly that I'm posting this, I just want to know.

doomedout said:

*DELETED*

/me runs

Note from Lord FlatHead: those scans are waaaay to spoilery for the spoiler-free forum. In fact I already regret having seen them :(

Uh oh =/

Man I cant wait for this game.....7 more days..... (or 8, not for sure) =P

dsm said:

Heh, it looks like a bunch of game developers read some whiny threads about chainsaws on Mars.

Eh? I just figure the whole deal, like, you know that family guy episode: "what would we need guns for, anyway?" *army of octopus stewies invade*

Also the "what the hell" phrase... lol.

Hilarious, in any case. If that's the type of humor PC gamer knocked the game for I'm going to go over and cockpunch each and every one of their writers.