Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedLineR

NOT a Intel vs AMD thread

OK, as I stated in the topic. This is not an Intel vs AMD flaming thread.

I am about to buy a new PC. Looking at pricing and some benchmarks I could lay my hands on I'm basically down to 3 choices.

AMD64 3200+ on Gigabyte board with NForce 3 chipset
Intel Northwood 3.2 on Gigabyte or Intel board with 875P chipset
Intel Prescott 3.2 on Gigabyte or Intel board with 875P chipset.

The main competition is between the AMD64 and the Northwood.

The Prescott is always slower than the Northwood.
The new socket Prescott is also not really an option because of the heat generated and various other factors.

Now when I'm talking speed I'm not looking at mpeg or anything...
Only pure FPS... So if anyone has any comparisons between a Intel and AMD machine running DOOM3 with same screencard and memory, please let me know!

I am probably getting a athlon 64 pc3200 and ASUS K8V Deluxe.

Don't have a comparison, but I will say I am very happy with my Athlon 64 3400+. I also have that Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard. It honestly didn't impress me as much as the MSI K8T Neo motherboard I had right before it (but upgraded anyway because the version I have only supported 4x AGP). It's a decent board, but the MSI board really impressed the hell out of me, especially with their utilities.

i dont really think there will be a major differnce. Doom3 relies alot more on the graphics card. so you would see more difference in card than CPU.

With a CPU at those clockspeeds, Doom 3 will be Graphics Card Limited, not CPU limited, so you wouldn't notice a difference.

Hardocp will have a more detailed Doom3 benchmark out in the next few days (differing cpu's and cards).

But as it's been stated above the video card is the bottleneck in the system.

Go for the AMD, they're better for multimedia and gaming. P4's are better at maths work and video encoding.

P4's are demonstrably faster for vid encoding, A64's own them at just about everything else.

Either one, backed up with a decent vid card, will do the job for Doom3.

My vote: AMD all the way. ;)

The A64 1MB L2 cache socket 754 came down in price along with a bunch of other A64 procs. Jump on this deal! Check out newegg and pricewatch.