Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d_doomer04

im inserting sprites, can someone help !?

im using xwe, it sucks i know, but its all i have right now. i can make new textures, new graphics, but i cant insert new sprites. i made a bunch of super detailed sprites, but when i went to insert them, i couldnt do it, heres what i do...
1. open doom2.wad
2. copy the image i am going to replace
3. go to my wad file and paste it
4. click <entry> <replace>
browse my image and replace

and when i load the level up, the images are not even there. i first replaced the chaingun, when i went to my level, there wasnt even a chaingun there ! i could pick up the chaingun though... its like its there but its not... basically the sprite just isnt showing up. I NEED SERIOUS HELP !!!! SOS !!!

Xwe doesn't so much..
Before You insert Your graphics the game must know they are sprites, not mere graphics. Make a new entry by going to entry-> new and name it S_START. Make another entry-name it S_END. Put ALL of Your sprites BETWEEN those 2 lumps. You're set.
Make sure the names for the sprite replacements are correct too.

well uhhh i did what u said, i put in s_start followed by s_end, and i put my image in the middle, i am replacing it with the chainsaw this time, so i named it csaws0, which is its original name in doom2.wad then i ran my wad and it does this:
starts up, flashes off, and reads :
application error
the instruction at 004301ff reference
memory at 00000000
the memory could not be read from

what do i do now ???

the chainsaw pickup sprite?
Xcuse me, but what the fuck is csawS0 :)
csawA0, not s, but a. The letter before the number is the animation frame, the pickup sprite uses only one-the default a, that's why Your game crashed. Try now.

well i havent tried replacing the chaingun again, but this time im replacing the guy on spike with an impaled doom marine. this is what i got:

name type size
s_start marker 0
pol1a0 sprite 1,554
s_end marker 0

dats exactly what the screen looks like on my xwe.
and when i test the wad this time, it dont crash instead, again, the image still isnt there, its there but its not, like i cant walk through it, but its not there, its like an invisible block...

grrr... any ideas, or should i just download a whole new editor, what kind do you use ?

btw i just visited your current project, and i downloaded the file undead.rar, how do i start 'er up? i dont know how to use .rar files.
thanks,

d_doomer04 said:

btw i just visited your current project, and i downloaded the file undead.rar, how do i start 'er up? i dont know how to use .rar files.
thanks,

Uh? Haven't you ever heard about WinRAR archiver? (something like WinZIP, but runs on *.RARs also)...
Just extract it.

Are you using doom2.exe (or doom95), "Just putting sprites in" isnt supported in those engines, you need to patch the iwad and other crap. Try a port!

If you are using a port, and think the error might be from XWE, Use Wintex, open up the Iwad, and copy and paste the sprites you want to replace, then open them up in paint and go to 'paste from', and paste in your replacement image

first of all, no i didnt make it a doom flat, im not the most experienced doomer out there but im not stupid, its in its sprite form. and heres the tricky part. when i save it into a patch wad file, the image appears invisible, or sometimes my doom crashes. but if i load the main wad file doom2.wad, and then replace from there, my images turn out perfectly. again this is my form:
s_start
(my sprites)
s_end

when i go to my doom, i browse and load my .wad file, then when i play it, it either crashes or the image just isnt there at all. im gonna try and get wintex, but xwe seems to have worked for me so far, and i think its just something im doing wrong, but i cant figure out what.

Are You using a sourceport? I presume You use vanilla Doom. This is important.

i dont think so... its the regular doom2.wad file that i got with my game, doom II for windows 95. i dont even know what vanilla doom is, but i may have picked up a port from somewhere, i download alot of doom crap. what do i do if i have done that? reinstall my doom II ?

Doom.wad is the datafile. I'm talking about Your exe file. What's the name of it? If it's Doom2 then we are right-Your game will crash. My advice-altough You could mess with deusf and stuff-download a sourceport.
here
Zdoom reccomended-presumably, the most stable one.
Your wad shouldn't crash when played under a sourceport.

d_doomer04 said:

... its the regular doom2.wad file that i got with my game, doom II for windows 95. i dont even know what vanilla doom is... what do i do if i have done that? reinstall my doom II ?

Vanilla doom is one of the original DooM executable files -- e.g., doom.exe, doom2.exe. Since the release of the source code many programmers have modified the original executables to add features to the DooM engine. These are known as source ports, and ZDooM, DoomsDay, Legacy, VaVooM, BooM, and others are examples. Using such source ports will eliminate the need to mess with sprite insertion procedures, as required by vanilla DooM. If, however, you still wish to use vanilla DooM, you will need to use a utility such as DEUSF to 'append' the sprites from DooM into your PWAD.

If you append DooM's sprites to your wad you will not be able to distribute your wad by uploading it to the 3DGamers Archive, which is the most popular site for public downloads. Instead, you will need to upload your wad minus DooM's sprites, and instruct the user to append DooM's sprites using DEUSF. Slightly messy and complicated, but it ensures copyright protection for id Software.