Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

RTC 3057 Hub 1 Ready to Go

It's this game's version of the old NES beeping effect when you're low on health. A nice, annoying example of this is in Metroid for NES. :D

they didn't look like letters to me, but that's 'cuz i'm running 1028x786, so they were just red dots. i was wondering what was up with that too, then i realized they stopped when i got my health above 25.

nice touch.

i should probably downsize my resolution, though, 'cuz it's kind of hard craning up to read all the log text in one corner of the screen.

speaking of logs, instead of reducing the number of logs, why not just increase the number, but make most of them shorter- i.e. just one page or so, which means managing them script-wise would be easier (i'm assuming). in a way i think it would do much more of a service to the general atmosphere of the mod by adding innocuous little communiques between crew/scientists/etc.

i liked the background on the log screen, makes me think of SNES for some reason. hell, the music alone sort of made me think of super metroid...

listening to the keypad sounds makes me wanna play deus ex again, but playing the wad itself makes me wanna try system shock 2 (i didn't get very far before 'cuz i got SUPER sick that day in june and only just fully recovered a few days ago).

IMO this is the most professional piece of work i have ever seen for any game. damn good job.

btw, about the spot with the barons... was that in any way inspired by silent hill?

dethtoll said:

btw, about the spot with the barons... was that in any way inspired by silent hill?

Do you mean the Hell Knights at the end?

Wow! This wad is stunning! The architecture is phenomenal, and the scripting is done perfectly. There is a bit more reading involved than I care to do in a game (wondering about Doom 3 too)... but fortunately the logs weren't required reading to play/enjoy this hub. Nice work guys :)

One out of five stars

Actually, I don't have the time to check it out at the moment. I seriously hope it lives up to all the hype.

dethtoll said:

btw, about the spot with the barons[hellknights ;)]... was that in any way inspired by silent hill?

Nope, well maybe. Nick did the retexturing of the area. Perhaps he was inspired by something.

deathz0r said:

I seriously hope it lives up to all the hype.

Looks like it already did! :P

Okay, i played a little last night, VERY impressed!, though i did notice a few bugs...

1: On the 'Cell cams', if you choose cell 3, then return to the main menu and choose 'exit console', it goes back to viewing cell 3

2: On the Maintenence window, the help function doesnt work

3: I got some woman's e-mail logs, and the very end of it had the last few entries in a mad cyborg's log

Ah well, other than that its great, even though i did have to re-start it because by the time i got to deck 5 i had no ammo, so i started again (on skill 1...heh) and punched a few demons to death and got down to deck 5 with a ton of ammo..maybe i'll start again on skill 3 and still punch demons to dath, or maybe i'll just shut up and play. The architecture looks beautiful, and i love the occasional shakes and screams, like the ship is really haunted, or that it is still a battle zone in some areas, also i like how un-complicated the puzzles are and how you actually are provided with health in places, more wads should be like this!

I've only played up until the yellow key card... too tired to continue playing after that. But first impressions:

• Nice voice-acting! Great music!
  • Puzzles are not annoying or long-winded, and make some sense. But the floor puzzle does not fit inside a starship-themed level.
  • Overall, nice architecture and design. Slopes/bridges used to great effect. Attention to detail. The interactive switches are great!
  • Layout does not 'feel' like the decks of a ship. The windows provide some sense of being inside a starship. Consoles look weird and not at all like consoles (eg. bridge).
  • Signs are my friends. So are logs.
  • More healthpacks needed.
  • I really like the occasional rumbles and screams.

Actually. The "ship" is more of a space station with engines than an actual ship. Its main "official" use is the transport of cargo and due to its size, it can carry a _lot_ of cargo. Also, the station/ship was based on an old prison ship.

The path puzzle on deck04 actually has a story to it, but we never included it in the logs. Perhaps another time!? :)

I was a bit disappointed in the windows actually. I mean I looked out through them and it didn't look much like a starship to me.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Will it be 4 hubs or 5?

More ;).

BTW we're not just focusing all our efforts on one hub at a time, so you probably won't have quite as long to wait between hubs you'd think. The two hubs with the most effort going into them right now are (obviously) the second hub, but also the final hub.

dethtoll said:

Somewhat :). Just as in the Silent Hill games, it's up to you to decide whether it was actually real or just a hallucination.

dethtoll said:

speaking of logs, instead of reducing the number of logs, why not just increase the number, but make most of them shorter- i.e. just one page or so, which means managing them script-wise would be easier (i'm assuming). in a way i think it would do much more of a service to the general atmosphere of the mod by adding innocuous little communiques between crew/scientists/etc.

It will depend on how much I need to tell in the individual logbook.

The logbooks for hub1 were to tell a long and detailed story from more than one perspective (along with the fact that one person might reveal something another didn't). It was fucking tough to downsize that to a remotely acceptable lenght.
I wanted the mail to the Captain (that you download on the bridge) to be much shorter than it actually ended up, but I had to get down all the plot elements and I needed the letter to seem convincing as a letter from some top dog type of guy to a high ranking officer.

For now, I'll focus on a minimum amount of logs for hub2, but if I manage to make those short enough (and I hope I will - lenghty logs suck), I might write up a few other ones.

I'm interested in how you went about making the logs. I don't know basically anything about HUD, but I don't know if you made it with that or what...

cyber-menace said:

I'm interested in how you went about making the logs. I don't know basically anything about HUD, but I don't know if you made it with that or what...

Yeah they were made with hudmessages.

Permanent hubmessages? Interesting.

I almost finished the darn thing without dying, but the Hell Knights took me down. I wonder, would dying mess up my demo? I loaded from an auto-save so I suppose the answer is most certainly yes.

Epyo said:

I can't open .rars, why not just .zip it?

Wondering the same thing. Though I'm using ZipGenius, a freeware zipping utility that can do anything at the cost of using a crapload of resourses...

NiGHTMARE said:

Somewhat :). Just as in the Silent Hill games, it's up to you to decide whether it was actually real or just a hallucination.

all you need now is sirens and you'd scare the crap out of me at least 4 or 5 times. although i suppose the chessboard and the pentagrams flashing by sort of fill in for that...

dethtoll said:

all you need now is sirens and you'd scare the crap out of me at least 4 or 5 times. although i suppose the chessboard and the pentagrams flashing by sort of fill in for that...

Don't worry. This is only the beginning! ;)

Shaviro said:

Don't worry. This is only the beginning! ;)

i'm scared already. :)

I don't know about the other hubs, but the final hub will be scary as hell :).

NiGHTMARE said:

I don't know about the other hubs, but the final hub will be scary as hell :).

Especially the endgame sequence ;)

This thing is realy cool! ^.^
I like this mix of System Shock and Doom.
Hmm, when will my most beloved AI come around and scare me to death with that background voices behind her own disorted voice? ;)

BTW: Played till start of cargo section and will continiue when my bandage has been changed... if someone can translate: "Fisteln am Steißbein" that got cut out... big hole right above the ass :-((

Bastet Furry said:

BTW: Played till start of cargo section and will continiue when my bandage has been changed... if someone can translate: "Fisteln am Steißbein" that got cut out... big hole right above the ass :-((

tattoo??

dethtoll said:

tattoo??

Not realy...
Tryed a dict.leo.org translation:
syrinx at the coccyx
Hmm... english words i never heard or even read before ;)