Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SupremeGeneral

"Great Expectations" .The possiblilties of the D3 map editor

All this talk of a Doom 3 map maker, editor, and game modder is making me feel better that the game's suggested 23-hour play time won't be all there is to expect, and that the 60+ bucks us doomers will spend 6 days this midnight (to the minute) will be worth it tenfold.

I, for lack of a better word, spaz out whenever I start to imagine the possibilities of the editor. Between the thousands of prefrabs, realistic environment, possible user-made object/"wall paint" import ability, and lighting/sound, it is incredible to imagine what this program could do. Not to mention the rumor I heard on I think this forum of the use of Vehicles, and the limitless boundaries of pre, in-level, and post cinematic scripting...

I mean, never with this quality and especially never with these graphic, sound, and environment/mood effects can a non-staff gamer create level-worthy maps almost as good or better than the game!!

And please correct me if I am wrong, but would this be the first video game map editor that can be used to produce such game-worthy maps for such a type of game, would it be the most advanced???

...To make a map with a 5 minute opening scene with UAAF soldiers bashing into a complex and fighting with demons (like the "bashing in" scene from resident evil, the movie), with scripting and all.

To create cinematics, to with our own minds and Carmack's gift create our very own "They took my baby" scenes as often and as varied as we wish, let alone re-create Ultamite Doom, Doom 2, and Final doom with these graphics.....

I'm practicing with Doom-Builder and reading up on my programming skills; this editor will entertain us all for YEARS

Just a thought,
-The General

I don't think the learning curve with the D3 editor will be quite as easy as with previous ID games. I think there will be more power and opportunity there, but it'll also take a greater amount of skill to use these well.

The level editor itself isn't that much harder than previous versions of Radiant, so anyone who's ever made a map for a Quake game should be able to adapt pretty quickly. It's asset creation (new textures, models, etc.) that's going to be the toughest thing. And if you want to do neat cinematics that last more than a few seconds, you're going to need a lot of complicated scripting and new animations.

SupremeGeneral said:

I'm practicing with Doom-Builder

Do yourself a favor and practice with GTKRadiant instead. True 3D editing is a bit different from just drawing lines on a 2D map.

I hope it's better than UnrealED. It always came up with errors and stopped responding when i tried it, and when i finally got it working it was slow and i didnt even know what i was doing (poor documentation). Blah. Unreal Tournament 2003 Sux IMO.

Joe said:

I hope it's better than UnrealED. It always came up with errors and stopped responding when i tried it, and when i finally got it working it was slow and i didnt even know what i was doing (poor documentation).

Did you check Epic's Unreal Technology tutorial site? Heaps of tutorials there. UT2004 DVD Edition also comes with some sort of video tutorial.

Trasher][ said:
Did you check Epic's Unreal Technology tutorial site? Heaps of tutorials there. UT2004 DVD Edition also comes with some sort of video tutorial.

Doesn't change the fact that it's still buggy as all fuck. At least it was when I tried it out...

toxicfluff said:

I don't think the learning curve with the D3 editor will be quite as easy as with previous ID games. I think there will be more power and opportunity there, but it'll also take a greater amount of skill to use these well.

You're right. I have my copy of Doom3 right now, and the editor is heavily based on Radiant, which was sort of an odd editor to begin with. And then, there's detail, lighting effects, etc.