• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

How did Doom change gaming for you?

ellmo said:

Doom didn't change my gaming at all. It began my gaming

i COMPLETELY agree

i was in 5th grade when my older brother loaded doom and doom II onto our old 486 all those years ago. my mom saw it and didnt let me play past like the 5th level of doom2 because of the guys who were hanging by their guts and stuff.

we upgraded to a pentium 133MHz latter and i lost doom/II when we got a new 2.2 GB hard drive. (i remember being so impressd with those back then, all those years ago).

so i picked up a copy of ultimate doom about 5 or 6 years ago, and have been playing it ever since (i couldnt wait to get past the 5th level). i havent been playing pwads for more than about 2 years though.

however, the very first time i EVER saw doom i was so afraid of that game (and i was just watching my older brother play it). i remember the doomguy's breathing scared the piss out of me, i kept thinking it was some hellion around the corner wanting to rip my lungs out.

also, i SWEAR that game had just a different... far more creapy feel the first time i saw it. that feeling was there the first coupla times i played it. i was even scared when i played it. id come in from school planning to play it and my heart would be going 'pitter-patter' in my chest in anticipation of the scares to come.

yea, i remember wen i was about6/7 playing doom with my pa all night. he had to cheat to complete map20, it wasnt the cyberdeamon,it was the archvile afterwards....sigh...i can still hear him yelling at the computer in my dreams

Jomero said:
Oh how I loved watching people jump every time that happened. And to make matters worse, if they ran straight backwards, they'd fall into a pit of lava which they'd have to teleport out of.... into the room the barons ported to! :-D

I was an evil, evil bastard!

-Jomero [/B]

* Grin *
Sounds like it was some exellent mapping!
Have you seen my Demon Abundance WAD for JDOOM yet?

the first time i played doom, i went to my grandfathers house, (my GRANDFATHER was a doom freak... thats freaky...) i played the ultimate doom for a while, and ended up takin The Ultimate Doom and DoomII home with me. that was when i became addicted to doom.

then one day i went online to look for doom cheat codes, and thats when the search pulled up some doom sites, i looked at them and found out that i could download new levels, and graphics, and tons of cool stuff. and then i downloaded level editors, and began making my own creations. and now here i am today and doom still isnt even slightly old to me.

I first played doom around maybe 1996/97-ish, when my parents got a new computer. Me and my uncle wanted some games to play, so he went to a friends house and borrowed his copy of doom for me to play. We had it for about a year then got bored with it, to tell you the truth, we didnt even know it had custom levels or multiplayer! I didn't play it for years, then a little over a year ago, I found a copy of doom2 in a Game Stop. I bought it and quickly found out about multiplayer and custom levels. I started to mess with level editors and find ways to play online. Eventually I found CSDoom and played on it, and it was alright, then I discoeverd ZDaemon, and eventually Skulltag. I play on those 2 now, but I have been kinda too busy mapping to play :D .

Well I've been playing Doom for a week now and I've got to say it's changed gaming for me nonetheless. Like Tetris, Legend of Zelda, a handful of other classics, Doom reminds me that the age and graphical quality of a game takes the passenger seat next to gameplay. I've played all 3 Quakes and Doom beats them for fun hands down.

So now my already high standard of what makes a good game is even higher. If a > 10-year-old FPS can be fun, then surely newer games should be able to accomplish that as well.

We have a n00b with a brain!, who doesnt go saying "LOL SPRITES SUX THEY ARE GAY!!!!1" welcome aboard hehe

It's the perfect blend of simplicity and complexity. It's so easily modifiable, and a non-linear (non movie like) design is very possible. It can really get you "in the zone"... each hand uses 4 keys (at least for me... most people play with a mouse probably) so you're pretty maximized in input digits (unless you start using your toes or tongue) coorelating them all into the correct complex input as quickly as your brain can transfer it through your fingers. It's fast paced. The whole concept and enemies are awesome. It can be difficult as FUCK. In some levels, like the graveyard (doom2), smash tv (snes) is sort of like a simplified 2d topview doom.