Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lerner

Good Doom Wads

Yes rtc is godlike,
my favorite doom levels are dark7 and the torment&torture series(esp,2&3).Both only play in zdoom and there's links in the zdoom wiki.I also like strain and the rebirth.

What do you mean by original DOOM wads?

myk said:

What do you mean by original DOOM wads?

Wads for the original Doom.

Actually it was just a quick hack-job. It would be nice if someone made a more comprehensive listing of such threads, with comments on what the main focus of each of them was, and how useful they were. Might be a good idea for a stickied thread (e.g. "Index of 'Best Wad' Threads").

Epyo said:

2002ado!

4 episodes of fun, five stars on /idgames!

Aw, damn, I almost forgot about 2002ADO! That was a great wad!

hell revealed 2
alien vandetta

(both for doom2.wad and use zdoom)

those 2 are pretty classic

also the ALIENS tc is damn good too.

for original doom

try The Sky May Be
(i liked it simply because it was so bloody strange)

Godshatter said:

hell revealed 2
alien vendetta
(both for doom2.wad and use zdoom)

Just to clarify, these megawads do not require Zdoom (in fact some things may not work right in Zdoom; I don't know if anyone has tested them systematically, but the exit from map07 in AV doesn't function as intended in Zdoom).

In fact, neither requires a port, though most people will probably find it convenient to use one, since these wads stretch the original engine to its limits. In Doom2.exe, you can't expect saves to work too often, and you'll sometimes get "things" becoming invisible when the limit is exceeded.

Yeah, I played these in Doom95 to begin with, you couldn't see anything. Even Legacy tends to do that a lot. ZDoom is a good port to use. No matter what you have there. everything stays. Even NUTS! if i recall correctly

ARGH. Some of you apparently didn't know what I meant. I should have probably said good doom.wad compatible wads. That being said, I've already played 2002ado.

duncan said:

Yeah, I played these in Doom95

Alot of people will probably tell you...

DON'T FUCKING USE DOOM95!

Darkhaven said:

Alot of people will probably tell you...

DON'T FUCKING USE DOOM95!

Yeah I found that out the hard way back in the days where my internet broke down and doom 95 was all i had. Never again!!

duncan said:

Yeah I found that out the hard way back in the days where my internet broke down and doom 95 was all i had. Never again!!

Praise Never Again indeed! He was the one who supplied the demo recording fix for the launcher, as well as highly relevant information about the engine.

The engine itself is decent for the game itself; more so than most other engines in my opinion. For more intensive usage one needs to know some things about it, since at first glance it seems to have some big flaws. But those can be disregarded or fixed with the right setup and usage. Naturally its not for mods and newer wads, but it stands up there with PrBoom and Eternity for classic play, as an alternative to the DOS engines.

Hmm; this gave me an idea...

Grazza said:
Just to clarify, these megawads do not require Zdoom (in fact some things may not work right in Zdoom; I don't know if anyone has tested them systematically, but the exit from map07 in AV doesn't function as intended in Zdoom).

I've played them both through in their entirety without problems in the older ZDooMs (1.17, 1.22), not counting the map 30's that cannot be completed with those. I suppose you're talking about the newer betas?

Speaking of Hell Revealed 2, which is belived to be one of the best WADs ever. I never thought it would entertain me so much. I was afraid that HR2 has nothing more to offer than silly, 300 monster fights; something like Nuts, but with passable maps.

I was very wrong. HR2 does not have the look of Darkening 2 and climate of Aliens TC, but it's gameplay is among the best. I almost felt like in harder episode of Scythe. Small maps with plenty of ammo (which I though I'd lack here) and dozens of tough monsters. But it's terrific, and well though over...

Kristian Ronge said:

I suppose you're talking about the newer betas?

Sorry, yes.

I don't know with which version the AV map07 problem came in, or where other potentially troublesome issues were introduced. Or if the map30 problem you mention was cured.

ellmo said:

Speaking of Hell Revealed 2, which is belived to be one of the best WADs ever. I never thought it would entertain me so much. I was afraid that HR2 has nothing more to offer than silly, 300 monster fights; something like Nuts, but with passable maps.

I was very wrong. HR2 does not have the look of Darkening 2 and climate of Aliens TC, but it's gameplay is among the best. I almost felt like in harder episode of Scythe. Small maps with plenty of ammo (which I though I'd lack here) and dozens of tough monsters. But it's terrific, and well though over...

Yeah HR2 was something. Hard but fun.