Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Doom 3 Hit By Software Patents

what the hell is creative doing with the DOOM 3 source code anyway?

obviously thats how they found it....

Did Creative use this questionable patent to force id into supporting EAX? If so... they would have had to take this up with id months ago in order to make the final build of the game right?

Seems like any dumb thing can patent my technology...
However, engines are complex and one method cannot save the world. If Creative patented the result, it's bad. You can have several algorithms which performing the same things. Then my next step is to patent the reality:)
Now Creative looks like totally brainwashed company. JC: "God may sue us for infringing on his exclusive right to reality." That's right John, but you should sue Creative for infringing on your exclusive right to think in way you are. What they will patent next?

Graf Zahl said:

One more company I'm never going to buy products from in the future...

The sad part is that for every angry person who never buys another Creative product, there's 10 more people who will either get a Creative SB with their PC, or just buy one. Consumer ignorance blocks out any chance of a small, informed group making any changes through purchasing power alone. This, of course, sucks balls.

The same could be said of elections, where any 2 idiots can out-vote one person who has a clue :/

Most gamers not reading every little detail about DOOM 3 will be saying "ah, cool, so Creative and id made a business deal? I'll get a Creative sound set for my DOOM 3 games!"

That reminds me, I still need to get another Sound Blaster as a back-up for this one...

Moriarti said:
In this message board thread, a poster named SimmerD claims to have publicly described this technique before Creative patented it. Therefore, there is prior art, and the patent should be null and void. Can anybody comment on that?

In the USA, prior art needs to be established at least a year before patent application. More comments/info/flames can be found in this Slashdot article.

yeah i'm boycotting creative now too.. i refuse to buy products from a company who bases their business model on extortion.

udderdude said:

The sad part is that for every angry person who never buys another Creative product, there's 10 more people who will either get a Creative SB with their PC.

Luckily most PC's today come with an on-board soundchip from some cheap Taiwanese or Korean company so the need for sound card diminishes gradually.

Cajun[CC] said:
Let me get this straight. Creative has patented a programming technique? Is something like that able to be patented? I mean, how am I supposed to know if, when I'm coding in my spare time, I'm using someone's patented algorithms, even though I'm under the impression that I'm thinking it up myself?

I'm really concerned that Carmack didn't stand up to Creative on this. Since if JC did invent the work then surely he'd be able to claim prior art? Unless of course they didn't have time for the legal fight and just wanted to release the game.

Anyway this is pretty damn poor from Creative. Maybe I'm missing the point here, I could patent any form of loop; could make a fortune that.

It's a question of capital; maybe you could patent that loop, as you say... but if you don't have the resources to defend your claim, it won't hold.

Carmack is a businessman too... I don't think he would recklessly get into prolonged and costly disputes with large corporations just to prove some sort of philosophy, just when he's in the middle of releasing his new product.

He already said it. And having worked so long on this game with such a hellish theme, he must have felt a bit more at home making a pact with the Creative demons.