Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Doom 3 "automatically chooses display settings"

If you saw the hardstuff article, here is one the questions asked and then answered

Does Doom 3 run better on video cards with 256 MB of video memory rather than 128MB? If so, is the difference a big one? What can a person with 128 mb of video memory do to improve performance? What sorts of details should they turn down first?

Rob Duffy: The more video memory, the better. On 64 MB video cards, we have to downsize certain classes of textures to get them to fit. On 128 mb video cards, we run everything at full resolution but use compressed textures. On 256 MB video cards, we run with compressed diffuse and specular textures and uncompressed normal maps. In Ultra Quality, everything is uncompressed but most levels require about 500 mb of texture memory, so we don't enable this setup by default on any currently shipping video card. Doom 3 automatically chooses the best options to use and run well, and someone with a 128 mmb (or even a 64 mb) video card will get great visuals and good performance right out of the box.

Hmm, so seems that it will detect the best settings. However in some games that have done that before, they didn't always pick the best options. I wonder if all there will be for options is to choose "low quality, medium quality, high quality" and maybe not be any option to turn some things off etc. I'd prefer it that way, a lot easier to know that you aren't turning up settings and making the game run over what your video card can handle.

This is an ID game you know. Of course you can turn on/off advanced options to tweak it the way you want it... Right?

Holering said:

This is an ID game you know. Of course you can turn on/off advanced options to tweak it the way you want it... Right?

As long as an id Software game has a console, yes.

Yeaa I think thats a good feature and im almost positive that you will be able to do manual tweaking as well.

I'll be manually adjusting stuff, if only to force the normal map compression off. Thats just too ugly...

Relica Religia said:

I hope id releases some console variables or something like that, to help tweak otherwise invisible settings that way (like in Counter-Strike).

cmdlist is your freind.

As always, I'll let it auto-detect, then go through myself and check what it's done. Heh.

I thought many games did this now. They read your card, assign a performance to it, then give you default settings which are better or worse depending on your card. I don't see why anyone else has a problem with this.

Because they usually choose settings very badly. I trust id to do it well, but I'll still look, even if I don't change anything. Just for curiosities' sake.

I ordered a GeForce FX 5900 with 128 megs ram to replace my G4 Ti 4400. Well now it seems I won't be able to run at high detail. This sucks. I got the new card for Doom 3. *sigh* Oh well.

My system for anybody that wants to see if I can run at high:

Athlon 3000+ 400 MHZ FSB
512 megs DDR 400 Ram
80 gig 7200 rpm ata 133 mhz HDD
GeForce FX 5900 128 megs (coming soon)

i guess it just does that to make it easy for you just to start playing... ie one less thing to worry about...

im sure it will allow you to tweak the settings to be more for your liking.

I would worry about not being able to play at High mode. The Low modes look great! I wouldn't panic until you play the game, see how it turns out.

If, on the other hand, you see a Vogon constructor fleet hovering over your planet, I don't care what anyone says: PANIC!!!!!!

Well by that guide, the 256 megs "required" for high detail is wrong. They are running a FX 5700 with 128 and it looks great. Though I want 1024X768 instead on 800x600.

EDIT: Read closely, with a 5900 (why didn't they test the 128 meg one?) I can run either:

1024x768 Medium
800x600 High

At least I can run it at high on something. Plus I only got a 17 inch monitor, so no big deal.

Are we talking "whatever doesn't crash the computer" best settings?
Or are we going on an abstract idea of what people find visibly appealing?

I might not agree with the next person regarding what is acceptable in terms of framerate, screen resolution, or whatever. Just a thought, not like any of this applies to me or my hardware of yesteryear.

I want a smooth gameplay. I am use to games at 1024x768. I ordered my new card for Doom 3 and I wanted High settings. Only reason I bought the card. I just want to experience Doom 3 in all it's glory. (ultra high seems to me like extra fluff). I wish I had gotten at 256 meg card, but I didn't.

etimmerAZ said:

If, on the other hand, you see a Vogon constructor fleet hovering over your planet, I don't care what anyone says: PANIC!!!!!!

What, hovering in exactly the same way that bricks don't? :P