Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

Corporate Blackmail, scandals, and fraud, oh my!

Really, what happened? We hear about these problems with Enron and we hear about Martha Stewart's financial and legal woes, but WHY does the greed of the human heart and moral depravity of the mind have to strike the computer industry? Honestly, if there is one indication that humanity will not make it, the way people always screw each other over for their own personal gain is becoming a good indication.

But since the turn of the 21st century technology has advanced more and more, and corporations make billions of dollars. This is where the greed sets in as companies like Microsoft (and this is general concensus, whether it's objective or not) and the major software companies (even Symantec is guilty of this to an extent but their products are fairly priced for their performance) are filing lawsuits against other companies for minor "infractions" (not even at that) and extorting money from them in large volumes. These companies being victimized are for the most part decent, righteous, and inclined on the ethical front, and it's only because they're really popular and make great software.

This post is not only in lieu of the Creative Labs blackmail scandal with Id (the victimized company that makes the best improvements and games action gamers can hope for), but many other things. For instance, the attempt by Microsoft to shut down the GNU community because of "copyright infringement" (some programs like FUCKING TEXT EDITORS). Where is the copyright infringement law being broken in the open source community? OpenOffice.org? Well I, for one, never knew that page formatting and fonts were a patent Microsoft developed and that the open source community broke it. The really objective approach to rationalizing this idiocy is that Microsoft doesn't like competition. This is most likely true, but I think Microsoft also has an aspiration to be the NUMBER ONE producer of software and operating systems in the world. Of course they will claim any software that serves the same purpose as theirs (and is FREE and WORKS BETTER) is copyright infringement.

All I can say is, where the hell is the LOVE? It's a pretty well-used phrase, but must all software titans be little children saying "NO I GOT THIS FIRST!"? ATi and Nvidia compete all the time and they can at least maintain a little air of diplomacy between them. Why can't these big software giants do it too?

Honestly, if there is absolutely NO theft of intellectual property (OpenOffice.org being a Linux-native application without using Microsoft's MFC), don't fucking cry wolf and attempt to extort funds because somebody made a program that is better than yours and $600 cheaper.

When I start CLC this fall for my AAS in computer sciences, I'm doing all my programming and compiling under Linux.

this is strong capatalism in a country in which only an estimated 30% of those legaly allowed to vote.... vote.

so it is duh-duh that things have gotten out of hand and are totaly fucked up! and we have little to blame but our selves. people blame lack of religion, hey even religious people have greed. or the blame violence, oh yea that really affect business. we didnt remove greed from power, just looked the other way cause we might be rich too. the fact is the problem is very very deep.

simple fact is we should never put anyone on a pedistal, more importantly a group or class of people.

People should pay more attention and dig deeper for the truth. trust me there is alot of shit that goes on to make a man vomit to death.

there is a way to change things. vote and take an active role in government or at least knowing issues.

Seph is right. If everyone game a shit about the government and how it's run, things wouldn't be like they are. There wouldn't be scandals, there wouldn't high insurance rates, etc.

Republicans want to let you live your lives without the government interfering! Remember boys and girls, vote Bush in November for a better tomorrow

Sephiroth said:

this is strong capatalism in a country in which only an estimated 30% of those legaly allowed to vote.... vote.

so it is duh-duh that things have gotten out of hand and are totaly fucked up! and we have little to blame but our selves. people blame lack of religion, hey even religious people have greed. or the blame violence, oh yea that really affect business. we didnt remove greed from power, just looked the other way cause we might be rich too. the fact is the problem is very very deep.

simple fact is we should never put anyone on a pedistal, more importantly a group or class of people.

People should pay more attention and dig deeper for the truth. trust me there is alot of shit that goes on to make a man vomit to death.

there is a way to change things. vote and take an active role in government or at least knowing issues.

I agree, honestly I do. A bipartisan government, especially, in my opinion is really fucking worthless, BUT, that is only my opinion.

But the point here is to discuss the extent to which now the computer industry is becoming corrupt, at least among the big corporations and (a few) conglomerates that prey on mostly inoccuous, ethical software companies.

Ralphis said:
Republicans want to let you live your lives without the government interfering! Remember boys and girls, vote Bush in November for a better tomorrow

Yeah. Those filthy commies blowing money on luxuries like schools and hospitals, when we could be giving a Rich CO another tax break so he can afforded to hire another account to fire half his staff, while his company pumps out an even more crappy product. Lucky for him, he is the ONLY jerk providing this type of product so people will buy it any way.

From sea to shining sea.

Not that it would change if you voted democrat, but you might end up with a less moronic foreign policy (a good thing to have, if you don’t like terrorist attacks).