Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redpoints

Supported Resolutions

Does anyone know if Doom 3 will support 16:9 type widescreen resolutions such as 1920 x 1200? Has there been a list of supported resolutions published somwhere?

The leaked alpha version (from E3 2002) only supported standard 4:3 resolutions IIRC. I don't think I've heard about 16:9 being supported anywhere.

According to the Activision website, Doom 3 does not officially support widescreen resolutions.

I am also searching for help on this. I know there is way to do custom resolutions in the autoexec.cfg file, but the correct combination of settings has eluded me. Just changing the resoltion to a format other than 4:3 aspect ration produces no result.

I have an apple cinema display and although the stretch isn't too distracting, it would be nice to take advantage of my fancy new monitor. Seems kinda funny too that even Quake 3 could do widescreen out of the box... c'mon Carmack! Throw is a bone here!

Short answer - No.

Long answer -

You can set Doom3 to use any resolution you like by using the following settings in Doomconfig.cfg (or autoexec.cfg)

seta r_customHeight "600"
seta r_customWidth "960"
seta r_mode "-1"

I used 960x600 since it's 16:9, and my monitor can cope with that ;P

I took some comparion shots (In Alpha Labs 2, no real spoilers, just a couple of rooms) in 960x600 and in 1024x768, to see how it rendered the world in a wider res.

Firstly since my monitor is 4:3, the game showed some of my desktop around the image where it wasn't rendering the game. It picked the nearest 4:3 res (1024x768), and set my monitor to that before drawing the game in a "window" inside that resolution.

http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/d3960_02.jpg
http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/d31024_01.jpg

http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/d3960_01.jpg
http://airraid.mancubus.net/stuffage/d31024_02.jpg

(edit: yey I named them wrong, fixed.)

It is very noticable that Doom 3 just stretches the image to fit the new res, causing things to look fat and distorted. I tried fiddling the field of view settings (g_fov), but this only gives a 'zoom' effect, rather than fixing a horizontal stretch.

In conclusion, yes you could technically run the game in those resolutions, but it will appear slightly distorted (I didn't notice this so much when actually playing the game a bit), and if your monitor/TV isn't in that aspect ratio I can't predict how it will look. I'm guessing you'll still see the 'window' effect where it defaults to a higher 4:3 res and draws your chosen res inside that.

simply put i would gues 90% of the people use 4:3 monitors. also i have seen video cards freak out with 16:9.
we go through this at work alot. if you dont get the correct drivers, or it is not support by the card it is gonna act up. so chances are he didnt support it to aviod the headach.

most monitors will strech to fit, but looks like shit. i havnt taken the time to fix those systems at work. to make matters worse a few of them where setup by vendors, or when a vendor came in. they install a program that is a bitch to disable, or shut down, to fix any problems.

Sluggo of GameSpy reports that 16:9 isn't supported by Doom 3 - the best that happens is that the game stretches sideways to fit. And it sucks.

That's really odd, why wouldn't they take the time to implement 16:10 or 16:9 video modes? Seems kind of weird for such a high-tech game to lack support for high-end widescreen displays, even Goldeneye had widescreen modes. Maybe a patch down the line?

well most of you monitors are still 4:3, i dont see what is really wrong with that 4:3 its fine for desktops and games, 16:9 for movies.
I do agree it should have been supported and chances are it will end up in a patch. there may have been issues. if you do have a 16:9 monitor make sure you got the correct drivers so it isnt just stretching the screen, cause that looks like shit.