Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom 3 [H]ardware Guide

Looks like I'll be sitting in the 35-40 fps range for a while. On the other hand, I will primarily be playing 1v1 deathmatch in this game, so my fps might be a bit higher, since there will only be two characters in a given map at one time.

Sounds like since I have the 256mb version of the 9800 Pro, I should be fine at High Quality/1024x768. Kyle from HardOCP e-mailed me. Awesome.

I'll probably put it down a few notches anyways since I'd rather have a high framerate.

OK, I think that we can tweak D3 in console, so we can move performance from texture to texture by shifting between the compression levels thus the result can be surprising...
Nice work! As many people here I'm glad that low setting looks good.

My computer won't even be able to run Doom 3. 1.2GHZ, 256MB RAM. Although I do have the minimum Video Card (GF4MX).

God, I should just go buy a new computer. damn increasing technology... making my computer get outdated quickly.

Look like it is no good buying the highest of the highest stuff right now if your monitor not even support 1600x1200. Heh

Excellent, 20 fps on average at 640x480 on High Quality. That just made my day. Looks like I'm going to disable shadows and even bump-mapping to get something decent.

deathz0r said:

Excellent, 20 fps on average at 640x480 on High Quality. That just made my day. Looks like I'm going to disable shadows and even bump-mapping to get something decent.

just go for a lower texture detail, why use high quality? it creates a big memory load

There can be a problem. If D3 requires GF3 as the minimum that is capable to process the rendering system. GF3 is the first GPU with programmable pipeline (it can perform both pixel and vertex shader programs). These programs define how objects in scene are lited and deformed. Question is: Can we really disable shadowing in this advanced technology? (advanced = future, superior, Carmacks...)

Looks like 800x600 High Quality for me. (2.8Ghz P4, 1GB RAM, Geforce 5700/256MB)

EDIT: Wish they included more video card options for the faster CPU's.

Intel17 said:

1024x768 high quality! Im glad I bought a 256MB 9800pro

Kinda look like it is the same for both the 128mb and 256mb of radeon 9800pro. So
not much of a deal. At least looking at the screenshots, I am not seing much of a different between medium and hard. :P

Goddamn JPG compression on their screenshots really ruins the subtle quality differences they're supposed to illustrate. Other than that, great article.

Looks like 1024x768 @ Medium Quality for me. Sounds super.

AirRaid said:

What? A hardware related thread where Alientank didnt mention his graphics card?

GEFORCE 6800 GT

Don't be so jealous