Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laguna

Linux users - read this now

As much as I'd hate to have to say this, those of you running the Linux kernels (2.6 kernel is best for stability, GET IT NOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT), it just dawned on me that the editing experience will be different in Doom 3 for Linux users.

See, I ran a dependency walker on the leak a while back and just now I remembered that the Radiant application that came embedded into the engine actually uses the Microsoft Foundation Class and isn't built against the GIMP Tool Kit (GTK), so please be prepared to end up downloading an alternate program for Doom 3 mapping. I would say there's a good chance that the Linux binaries won't have a GTK version embedded (probably can't drop down the console and type "editor") because it would require some highly-extensive coding after removing MFC code and then reinserting the cross-platform GTK libraries. Of course I wouldn't put it past Id software to actually jump the gun and eventually put GTK Radiant in, but I'd say that if you are dual-booting, you might want to load Doom 3 on your Win32 partition first. I have prepared for this (and regrettably so) so I would suggest others follow suit if they have any Windows NT based OS kernels.

Basically what this means for people who are not familiarized with any form of programming is that under Linux you will probably have to get some sort of extraneous files/libraries OR if you're really into high-risk potential data loss, running WinE or Cedega (which can emulate the Microsoft Foundation Class under a UNIX environment). In any case this is the only time I would say I'm lucky to have WinXP outside of DirectX based games.

id will always have the support of the OS community, because of their previous goodwill in releasing native ports of all their games, and JC's commitment to OpenGL.

It's always baffled me why gaming companies usually don't take the time to make their editing/modding tools available to linux users, even when they port the game server/client.

Almost by definition, we're more likely than M$ guys to get our hands dirty in time, labour, and code to bring something new to the mod scene.

It's the whole philosophy of open source, after all, to give something back to the community.

And most importantly, I've personally been looking forward to getting stuck into Doom3 mapping... ;)

the lone crouton said:

id will always have the support of the OS community, because of their previous goodwill in releasing native ports of all their games, and JC's commitment to OpenGL.

It's always baffled me why gaming companies usually don't take the time to make their editing/modding tools available to linux users, even when they port the game server/client.

Almost by definition, we're more likely than M$ guys to get our hands dirty in time, labour, and code to bring something new to the mod scene.

It's the whole philosophy of open source, after all, to give something back to the community.

And most importantly, I've personally been looking forward to getting stuck into Doom3 mapping... ;)

Unfortunately Activision basically owns Id, which means Activision now has a say so, and when it comes to them open source and what not it's pretty limited.

That...kinda sucks. So i'll have to use one pc for editing (XP) and multiplayer, the other one i'll use to play SP in my room (using Linux). Oh my. The linux community will come through though, as they always do. I've recently become a linux user and i have a pc with XP so i'm not bothered what happens really.

this might be the reason for the delay of the linux version, is changing some of it to be more linux friendly. Also, I know Epic for one is going to have a version of there editor that will run in Linux for there next game, so some are getting around to it.

Piezo said:

Unfortunately Activision basically owns Id, which means Activision now has a say so, and when it comes to them open source and what not it's pretty limited.

Ummmm... No they don't. Activision publishes the game for them. Id software has NEVER consolidated with any larger corporate entity. If they did, don't you think that the game would've been done 2 years ago? Come on...

According to qeradiant.com, there WILL be Doom 3 Support in the next GTK build of Radiant, which would also mean Linux support. It's just not probable that the Linux Doom 3 binary (executable game) will have GTK Radiant built in. It's bad enough they'd have to remove the old MFC code, why would they insert GTK code in when there's already a GTK build of Doom3Radiant in the works by the editing community? :)