Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Wolfenstein3D and Windows XP

I want to run Wolfenstein3D under WindowsXP. It actually runs already but no music plays and sound doesn´t play in the menus.
Is there a good port I could use? (something like ZWolfenstein)
Or any other methods?

-Playing around with the compatibility modes and memory didn´t help (as always)

-Dosbox is too slow. (Maybe this can be boosted?)

-NewWolf looks ugly and isn´t final yet.

Well, if you don't like NewWolf, then too bad. That's really the only normal port for Wolf3d.

Deathmatcher said:

-Dosbox is too slow. (Maybe this can be boosted?)

I can play Wolf3d fine:

- Open dosbox.conf and change "output=surface" to "output=overlay" if you haven't already. This will use the videocard's hardware buffers more for increased performance.

- Boost the CPU cycles to 6000. You can do this by CTRL-F12 (and watching the cycles increase in the title bar of course) or you can do the same in dosbox.conf.

- Enjoy!

Oh by the way, Wolf3d mods with hacked up engines with shading, floor/ceiling textures and all that don't work as far as I know.

Oh by the way Bashe, NewWolf isn't quite fully playable.

Yeah, I just use NewWolf for fun. I know it doesn't run SOD correctly (Spear of Destiny is counted as only a key, etc.).

Bashe said:

That's really the only normal port for Wolf3d.

Well, in one way you're right. But mods like Punisher use a totally new EXE, but it's specific to that mod. I'm sure there's more than NewWolf. And by the way, it runs Spear perfectly fine. What do you mean, only a key? As in,

1. Me picks up Spear
2. NewWolf returns "You got the gold key."

Or do you mean something else?

I meant within the game of SoD, when you pick up the spear it says you got a gold key and it doesn't go to level 21 like it should.

Also, the secret exit for episode one of Wolf3d still takes you to level 2 and not 10.

There's another port out there that's fairly mainstream, but I don't think it's nearly up to par with how NewWolf has developed.

If NW has stopped, perhaps someone should email the author and find out what's up.