Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

The British Zombies are coming!

I think 98.625% of British comedy is totally unfunny, ESPECIALLY MONTY PYTHON (It sucks).

Heh, it didn't occur to me that US folk hadn't heard of this one. It's from the same team that made the brilliant 'Spaced' series on Channel 4 (just borrowed the entire two seasons on DVD from a friend, including the 'Homage-ometer' :)).

Ralphis said:

I think 98.625% of British comedy is totally unfunny, ESPECIALLY MONTY PYTHON (It sucks).

Interestingly enough, I feel the same way regarding American comedy.

Anyway, Shaun of the Dead is absolutely hilarious, but there a lot of in-jokes that most non-Brits probably won't get. Also, I doubt most Americans will have ever heard of any of the actors, with the possible exception of Lucy Davis (who played Dawn in The Office).

Spaced was excellent (I wish they'd made a third series) and Shaun of the Dead is basically just an extension of the 'spaced humour'. I really enjoyed this film, it's probably the only decent thing to come from the british film industry in a lonnnnng time.

Personally I really liked 28 Days Later, and Dog Soldiers is supposed to be excellent. Both of those are relatively recent British films.

Dog Soldiers is an instant classic, but i didn't think a great deal of 28 Days Later. I just felt... 'meh' about it.

Dog Soldiers is an instant classic

LOL, if you liked that shite then Shaun of the dead will blow you away

Ralphis said:

What?? Monty python is great!

Heh, the website won't load for me in Firebird, and I don't feel like getting out IE, so I'll just make comments on British stuff.

British comedy owns. Most of it is infinately more funny than whatever the newest Adam Sandler or Farely brothers shitstorm is. Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean and Blackadder are all pure hilarity. I especialy love that episode of Python where aliens are turning Brits into Scots. God damn, sillyness overload.

Of course, thats all old stuff. Unfortunately, the only British shows these days that make it to America seem to be fucking home and garden shows. Seriously, BBC America has just turned into a home and garden channel with funny accents. PBS (the only other channel that dares to show imports) just shows the afformentioned shows plus Red Dwarf (which I always manage to miss) and Dr. Who.

Also, I just have to mention that Guy Ritchie totaly owns Tarentino when it comes to crime comedies. :P

Yeah, I heard about Shaun of the Dead. I love zombie movies, so I'll have to see it.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Seconded. Although a bit hit-and-miss at times (with stuff ranging from pretty crap to absolute classic) it's still really good.

'And Now For Something Completely Different' pretty much covers the best of the Monty-P sketches.

Red Dwarf (which I always manage to miss)

And on a note generally unrelated to the thread in hand

GIVE US SERIES..ER..9(?)/A MOVIE... YOU BASTARDS!

Ralphis said:

I bet you loved sienfeld.

destx said:

Hey, Seinfeld was the best sitcom ever. Wait...is Fawlty Towers a sitcom?

The only funny part in the whole Seinfeld was when they were locked up for being ignorant fucks. And yes, I would know, seeing as how I had to endure three seasons of that garbage just so I could get some action from my old girlfriend. That's OK, though-- I got my revenge with Emporer Wang Guhn.

Danarchy said:

Wait...is Fawlty Towers a sitcom?

Yes, indeedy.

destx said:

No, I didn't really like Seinfeld very much.

Danarchy said:

Hey, Seinfeld was the best sitcom ever. Wait...is Fawlty Towers a sitcom?

I love the opening credits of one where the name in front of the hotel is changed to "Flowery Twats". How they got away with that in those days I have no idea :P

fodders said:

I love the opening credits of one where the name in front of the hotel is changed to "Flowery Twats". How they got away with that in those days I have no idea :P

Heh yeah, I remember that.

Yeah, so Fawlty Towers is my favorite sitcom then, and Seinfeld is my favorite American sitcom. There. :P

I need to get some Fawlty Towers on DVD.

heh. as soon as I read the title I thought 'I bet that's about Shawn of the dead'

Spike said:
Heh, it didn't occur to me that US folk hadn't heard of this one. It's from the same team that made the brilliant 'Spaced' series on Channel 4 (just borrowed the entire two seasons on DVD from a friend, including the 'Homage-ometer' :)).

Come on Australian DVD release...

I haven't ever seen much british comedy, but I didn't like Monty Python really. I just sat through it with a serious look on my face, kind of waiting to laugh. I think the only thing that made me laugh was the man-eating rabbit and the black knight, out of the entire movie.

Movies can be good though, I absolutely love 28 Days Later.

Ralphis said:

I complety agree.

British comedy is basically American comedy plus about ten iq points. It really pains me to say that, as I’m Irish myself but its true. <.<