Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

Would be interesting if...

I think it would be nice if someone remade the original doom using the D3 engine. Just to see what it would all look like. Last night i was playing, and lookin at all the cheesy graphics i said.."i wish someone would make this game as a mod for D3" that shit would rock.

To be honest, I don't think it's such a good idea to recreate them sticking very close to the originals-I saw a couple of recreations of Doom levels for Q3 and in comparsion to the capabilities of the engine and other maps they looked shitty.
If someone would take the LAYOUT of the Doom maps and remake the architecture using the capabilities of Doom3's engine-now this would be more interesting.

If someone would take the LAYOUT of the Doom maps and remake the architecture using the capabilities of Doom3's engine-now this would be more interesting.

Thats pretty much what i meant. As i was thinking about it, i even pictured some secrets not being there, or windows being in different places. Kinda like what Zdoom does to the original now. In other games ive played, like Raven Shield, they went and made maps from the older RB6 games and they came out looking like eyecandy, a little different in minor areas, but still gave you the feel of playing that old map, with a face lift.

Well I was thinking of attempting this myself once I figure out the editor, that is, use the layouts of classic Doom maps to make Doom 3 maps, not just convert them and include shitty low-res textures, simple BSP architecture, and terrible lighting :P

(666) Cerberus (666) said:

I think that's not a good idea.
But check out doomsdayhq.com
It uses hi-res textures and md2 models.

Thank you for this amazing new info.

I was thinking we could do things differently. Remake the Doom maps, but instead of remaking the maps themselves, make them fit their names. Such exaples would be:

- E1M1 Hanger
- E1M2 Nuclear Plant
- E1M3 Toxin Refinery
- E1M4 Phobos Lab
- E1M5 Computer Processing
- Etc. Etc.

So I guess if someone remade the DooM "1" game in such a fashion, it would be no less than the Phobos and Deimos bases; and since I don't think in Doom III id mentions or has game territory on Phobos and Deimos, there is a plot possibility open to us all to make them ;)

...And come to think of it, a fan-made DooM 3 expansion pack for the 2 Lunar Mars bases would be amazing...