Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astump

Doom 3 CD vs DVD

I have a few questions.

1) Will there be a Doom III DVD Edition

2) If there are multiple CDs, will there be someway I could converge all the data on to a single DVD without it not being able to find the "Play" disc?

(I am running verry low on empty CD spaces in my CD wallet.)

Let me clarify Question #2:

With Unreal Tournament 2004, I was able to move all the files from CDs 1 through 5 and the play disc over to a DVD... however, I had to save the play disc because it needed the CD in the drive so it can spin it out. Will I be able to create a DVD with the Doom 3 Install discs like I was with UT2004?

We dont know do we? but i would think doing that is on dodgy legal ground (since youre only supposed to make one copy, ie on your hard drive to play), so i dunno how much advice forum members can give

deathbringer said:

We dont know do we? but i would think doing that is on dodgy legal ground (since youre only supposed to make one copy, ie on your hard drive to play), so i dunno how much advice forum members can give

First off, screw the "dodgy legal ground" BS. If a person wants to save wallet space and simplify their installation without pirating, they are 100% in the right to do it.

The question of the original poster is legitimate and they are completely right for asking. I also run on "wallet space" and the number of discs is actually a major factor in buying. Personally, I think that 5 CDs is excessive. Back in 1997, it was excusable for Riven to use 5 CDs because DVD was a luxurious status symbol. These days, I don't believe that there's an excuse for no DVD option.

AndrewB said:

First off, screw the "dodgy legal ground" BS. If a person wants to save wallet space and simplify their installation without pirating, they are 100% in the right to do it.

I agree. Personally, I despise being required to repeatedly insert discs for all my games whenever I wish to play them. If you had enough disk space, it's quite simple to er... "modify" the game to prevent it from checking for the CD at all. I see nothing wrong with this, as one has legally purchased the game, and is only doing this as a matter of convenience for personal reasons.

As for using a DVD to hold all the game content on a single disk - go for it. I highly doubt id would be worried about some guy (who actually bought the game) burning Doom3 onto a DVD and playing it himself. Honestly, they'd be far more worried about warez sites distributing the game and dodgy retailers flogging pirated copies.

The latest patch for the UT2004 removes CD verification. Why does it need to verify the CD anyhow, if you already have to authenticate your Product Key online? Just needless repitition.

CD obviously for me, since I have no DVD drive....I really need to replace mine with a CD/DVD-RW combo drive.

buy a bigger fucking CD wallet for christ sakes!!!

that is just pure lazyness if you buy games based on that! i keep only games i play in my CD wallet i have a 25 disk wallet. All installation or disks not needed for play are put in a software bin next to the computer.

as for the CD vs DVD, i belive Id just got lazy. i think it should have been made into a DVD first. hell if you own a X800, GT6800 or 9800pro i am sure as shit you got a DVD-ROM. if not its only $40 in alot of places.

Put all the discs in a folder, go get a no cd crack, and burn all that to a dvd-r. I use no-cd cracks cause I don't want my disc scratched and I WILL use it on Doom 3.