Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkman 4

Pictures of the Cyberdemon and Hell. (EXTREME SPOILERS)

I never said it was flawless. I just said it was Doom 3. Doom 3 is unique and it should be appreciated as such. Some liked Half-Life because you could turn on a shoulder-mounted flashlight and wield a weapon, while the same crew hated Doom 3. It's all subjective as to whether you LIKE it or not, and by no means does EVERYONE have to like it, but simply hating it because it's not what you cracked it out to be is not an error on Id's part, it's an error on yours.

Do I think Doom 3 is the best game ever? So far, yes, I do. Does it mean that it will ALWAYS be the best game on the planet? Not at all. Do I think some things may be a little goofy in Doom 3? Sure Is it REVOLUTIONARY in gameplay and graphics? Absolutely. It's no secret that John Carmack and his crew have really set the bar higher for video games, regardless of what genre. Now I'm not saying they absolutely hold the market of video games in general, but the FPS should be credited to them at least.

In summary I think Doom 3 is worthy of the hype and I feel bad that some of you expected it to make your otherworldly woes disappear, and didn't get that wish.

It's no secret that John Carmack and his crew have really set the bar higher for video games, regardless of what genre.

Explain that one more. I think Doom 3 is average, it's fun, but brings nothing new to the table.

LlamaGod said:

I think Doom 3 is average, it's fun, but brings nothing new to the table.

I agree, id have only raised the technology bar. There's nothing revolutionary as far as content, functionality and gameplay is concerned.

[EDIT]
Carmack + Raven = Winning combination. Advanced technology and quality content merged into one.

If you look at the whole picture, Doom 3 is a lot more visceral than your normal FPS. A lot of games have improved on it, but Doom 3 has this almost heart-stopping, visceral combat based gameplay. A lot of games are close, but I mean you look at all the subtleties in the way the game flows and you come to realize that you really haven't seen that in a game before. You know?

Like I said it's really subtle (and subjective to the player) but the game has a certain cohesiveness that holds all the different elements together. The guys at Id and numerous reviews have suggested it and it's really the truth. That game has that quality of being superbly immersive and I have yet to see any games match it. Even the newer games coming out don't have that, and that's not a diss but it's just a testament that Id software really DOES make advances in their products, stuff nobody could have even imagined a year or two before it was made.

I'd say the way the game flows alone is probably enough for me. Linearity notwithstanding, it's simply an awesome game.

Trilinear said:

I agree, id have only raised the technology bar. There's nothing revolutionary as far as content, functionality and gameplay is concerned.

Honestly if any of you actually expected ID to bring something new to the 14+ year old FPS 'table' then you are stone cold stupid. It will be many-a-year before any company finds a way to substantially enhance the genre like ID used to.

Doom 1 revolutionary Doom 3 Evolutionary. That’s all anyone ever should have expected.

*In no way does this bash doom 3*

Laguna says :
"...If somebody can exceed Id-quality visuals and innovations I'd honestly love to meet that person."

*Blizzard's team*

Oh...and yes, the cyberdemon is great, but not as great as any of the Painkiller boss...Just my 2 cents :)