Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Euronymous

FAO people who have it...systems...

Well, as a student, my only hope of playing doom 3 is to convinve my dad to let me use his comp because out of our 2 shitty dells his is the only one which meets the requirements.

the spec is

128meg gforce4mx440
2.5gig p4
512 ram

I know about how annoying system requirement posts are but i just wanted to make this as people now have the game and we can really see how well the game runs. I want to know how much of a bottleneck the card will act as, as the rest of the spec is above the minimum...

thanks in advance, and sorry for the spec question :P

Lol, I just found that, making this thread pretty redundant.

Read that, I'm happy, I had resigned myself to having to wait another year for doom 3. Now to convince my dad...hmm

I would totaly be happy playing the game at that level...maybe up the res to 800X600 in exchange for some detail drops.

Thanks for the link man.

Well just make sure you turn off any background crap that'll hog your CPU, antivirus and such. You might wanna do a virus/spyware scan and maybe a defrag too before you play Doom 3.

Yeah, I will try...The problem is my dad is pretty technophobic. His computer is a work computer and so he is very (very) paranoid about anything damaging it.

Yea, get your own computer and password the bios and xp to keep your Dad off it. If he doesn't like Doom 3 something is wrong with him, hell he probably played the first Doom but he has forgotten how to enjoy games. He is gone, you can't save him, he is one of them now (non-gamers).

Godshatter said:

DEFRAG YOUR HARD DRIVES

that should also help a lot.

what does that mean and how does that help.. as you can see i dont know much about computers.

Tyockell said:

what does that mean and how does that help.. as you can see i dont know much about computers.

Over time, files which are kept on your hard disk get split up into various pieces known as Fragments and are strewn across the drive. This happens if you do a lot of removing/installing/moving of stuff, or it can just occur over a long period of normal use. It happens because Windows tries to give you the shortest possible wait time for file operations (I think), so therefore it doesn't worry about rearranging the files in question nice and neatly each time an operation is performed.

If you drive is heavily fragmented, you'll notice a drop in system performance because your hard drive is looking all over the drive to find all the parts of a particular file, rather than being able to access the whole file itself from a single location on the disk.

Defragmenting basically finds all the different pieces of your files and puts them together in close proximity, thus decreasing the amount of time Windows needs to find all the necessary information when it needs to load something.

Defragging your hard drive won't have nearly as big an impact as you might think. Load times will of course be faster but once the whole game is loaded into memory the hd shouldn't be used at all making defragging worthless. If the hd is being used then you know you have problems :P

Yes, but if the user is low on RAM then defragging will certainly bring about an performance increase. Windows has to utilise the page file once it runs out of physical memory, and if your drive is fragmented then this will make matters even worse.

Also, there is a LOT of content in Doom3 (gigabytes worth it appears). So no doubt there will be a huge amount of loading each time a new "level" is encountered.

The level loading times are way quicker than Farcry! (the loading times are almost comparable to UT2004) Doom 3 only takes up 1.5 gigs of Harddrive space.

mediaxs said:

Yea, get your own computer and password the bios and xp to keep your Dad off it. If he doesn't like Doom 3 something is wrong with him, hell he probably played the first Doom but he has forgotten how to enjoy games. He is gone, you can't save him, he is one of them now (non-gamers).

Lol, he was never a gamer to begin with! I'm 18 now and having been playing doom since I was 8 :) even then he didn't see the apeal of games :S

anyway, my computer's specs are

1.7 gig p4
256 megs ram
64meg geforce 2mx440

i take it there is no chance of running doom 3 on that?