Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

DOOM 3's unique monsters reinterpreted

Hi,

I'm working in a reinterpretation of the monsters that apear in DOOM 3, but not DOOM or DOOM 2, making them as how they would looked in classic DOOM.

The monsters that I plan to include are

-Zombie without guns
-Burnie (probably not)
-Chainsaw Zombie
-Maggot
-Cherub
-Trite
-Tick
-Wraith
-Vagary
-Sabaoth
-The Guardian

Because I'm not really a sprite artist I'm using, editing, and mixing existin stuff.
Currently I'm doing the Maggot, so far it's looking good. I'll upload it when I finish it.

I make this post because I want suggestions for the other monsters (How would they look in classic DOOM, and specially where can I found sprites that can be used as material for the monsters).
And of course (what allow you to newproject tag me), if someone is interested in make a monster for this project, it would be cool.

Wow. I think I can make a .wad with the Doom2 monsters, in Doom - how they could have looked, etc...

Somebody shoot me now, I'm too funny :p

I would, but that poses a major distance issue.

Would you settle for a ban instead?

I'm near to finish the Maggot and the "former human civilian" (zombie unarmed), I made the first (but not last, that's for sure) sprite of the Zabaoth and Vagary, I have an idea where to go with them, and I think that I know how to do the Trite. I'm not sure, but still have an idea and material, for the Guardian and the Wraith. The Tick and Cherub are probably the ones that will give me more trouble, I can't just put the spider from Blood and say "that is my vision of, the classic DOOM version of the Tick", and with Cherub, that's another story.

My main problem is that I don't know how to add extra monsters with Zdoom 63, I don't want to replace the original monsters. Is there a tutorial that explains how to create decorate lumps? The sample that that is included in 63 and 63a.cab are not enough for me.

The Zdoom forums have a bunch of monster creation threads. I myself do not know how to do it, but I have read most of the monster threads. Good luck with this, it seems like a cool idea.

Hmmm, would it be possible to convert high-tech DOOM 3 monsters to simple pixelated ones? I think it'd be pretty difficult to get that DOOMy feeling for them... but I'd love to see your results!

thanks for the coments

To clarify, what I'm doing is not converting the monsters of DOOM 3 into the doom palete, and into sprites(I'd love to see that done).

id software reinterpreted the monsters from classic DOOM into a modern theme, I'm doing the inverse task with the monsters that apear in DOOM 3 but not in DOOM/2.
I don't have DOOM 3, so I'm just basing in the screenshots and descriptions, odd but it will probably work. I try not to make them just as they are in DOOM 3, I put some classic DOOM feel into them.

If you want a bunch of example monsters for ZDoom just download the recently released ZDoom monster pack. It should contain enough examples to get you started. (Look in the latest /newstuff to find it!)

Documentation can be found here:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_new_monsters_and_other_complex_actors

The docs in the .cab file are outdated and some newer stuff is missing

Thanks for your interest, and sorry for my delay.

I finished the Maggot, it took me a bit more than what I expected (I had to study, here we are still in winter) but it's done. I also have some other sprites wich sets will take me less time (easier editing is requiered).

Probably for others these monters would look diferent in classic DOOM, this is just my vision, being done with the materials that I have available, and with my limited sprite skills, still I'm paying attention in making them look good and doomish, so they still can be used in mods.

I don't have a site and I don't know where to post images, but if someone is interested I can send a zip with a wad with the maggot's sprites (no behavior yet, but eight sided fully animated), and a preview of the other monsters that I have started (chainsaw zombie, former human civilian, Vagary, Sabaoth).

That's good very good indeed... I'm working on doom3 weapons in doom but it's for Edge... 2 done so far and they've been 'Doomified' Look Forward to seeing this.

Actually, I had a thought; I don't know whether there are any homeborew GBA coders attached to the community, but if enough resources could be converted in some way to the original Doom/Doom2 format, maybe this could be a starting point for a GBA version of Doom3? GBA Doom2 is good enough, but if The Powers That Be decide to release a GBA port, chances are it'll be nowhere near up to scratch compared with what people around here can do.

Yeah, okay, I didn't say I had a valuable thought, just a thought :D

Vegeta said:

I don't have a site and I don't know where to post images, but if someone is interested I can send a zip with a wad with the maggot's sprites (no behavior yet, but eight sided fully animated), and a preview of the other monsters that I have started (chainsaw zombie, former human civilian, Vagary, Sabaoth).

imageshack.us works wonders for posting images. Try that. I'm interested in seeing what you have so far!