Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

The /newstuff Chronicles #192

Recommended Posts

kristus said:

I can't play Riverwood it says it's missing a player one start.


You'll need to open it up in an editor, find the player starts and change their first arg from 1 to 0.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting... after playing HoC, I opened it up and looked for the scripts that spawned the Hexen and Doom enemies. I couldn't find any; every scripts lump just had an include line and nothing else. Odd. The spawnable thing list in the ZDoom editing pages only covers Doom objects... what would I have to type to spawn, say, a Heretic gargoyle in a Doom level? I'm not really doing such a project (yet), but I'd like to figure this out for future refrence.

Share this post


Link to post
netnomad312 said:

Interesting... after playing HoC, I opened it up and looked for the scripts that spawned the Hexen and Doom enemies. I couldn't find any; every scripts lump just had an include line and nothing else. Odd. The spawnable thing list in the ZDoom editing pages only covers Doom objects... what would I have to type to spawn, say, a Heretic gargoyle in a Doom level? I'm not really doing such a project (yet), but I'd like to figure this out for future refrence.



Don't use the old information. All relevant stuff is covered in the Wiki.
It wouldn't work for Heretic objects in Doom anyway because their numbers are exclusive to each game. For that you have to use Spawnspot and pass the object's name.

Like this:

    spawnspot("Beast", 4, 0, 192);
    spawnspot("Minotaur", 64, 0, 192);
Look here:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=SpawnSpot

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I've got a noob question... I decided to try this, and I got an error I got the last time I tried ACS scripting (and left it alone last time). I used WadAuthor, and compiled it; all it had were the three include lines and one script that spawned a few things. In the level, I got "p_startscript: unknown script 1." I know that it's supposed to compile SCRIPTS and save it as BEHAVIOR, but BEHAVIOR is virtually empty (16 bytes, Wintex says). I figured it might be WadAuthor, so I opened it in Doom Builder next. It had no "compile" button so I hit "close" thinking it would do so automatically, and it locked up. I'll bet a lot of other people ask this, so sorry, but nobody I know who does ACS is online right now...

Share this post


Link to post

Yesterday's nightmare was great! I really should go and check out this author's other maps when I have the time. Awesome week! Lots of great wads.

EDIT: 700th post!

Share this post


Link to post
Dron said:

Yesterday's nightmare was great! I really should go and check out this author's other maps when I have the time.

Some of his stuff isn't in the archive. You can get more here and here.

Share this post


Link to post
netnomad312 said:

every scripts lump just had an include line and nothing else.


I compiled the ACS scripts seperately, and didn't include them in the WAD file. The scripts lumps are just defaults made by ZETH. The scripts aren't anything special, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah... they would be to a noob though. ZDoom crashes when I trigger the script, even though I put the sprites in the wad like you seem to have done. I'm not entirely surprised, but I wonder what I'm missing...

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm. I thought B-onahd would get a little bit of mention here. Oh well, those who try it, enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
netnomad312 said:

Yeah... they would be to a noob though. ZDoom crashes when I trigger the script, even though I put the sprites in the wad like you seem to have done. I'm not entirely surprised, but I wonder what I'm missing...


Try going to the console and type 'summon enemy', where enemy is whatever you put into the game. It will summon anything you put in, but if you don't have the sprites/sounds, it'll just be invisible.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Some of his stuff isn't in the archive. You can get more here and here.

Cool! Thanks

Hyena said:

Hmm. I thought B-onahd would get a little bit of mention here. Oh well, those who try it, enjoy.

That wad rocked! :)

Share this post


Link to post

God what a week. Well done Grazza!

RTC at last :) Well done Shav et al. Wish I could have written more, but real life always gets in the way :(

Share this post


Link to post

This doubt may have already been asked and answered... I really haven't checked... I'm sorry if an answer to this has already been posted, but I need to ask anyway... What is the difference between the two versions of 'RTC-3057: Blue Hub 1'? I'm talking about the 54MB one and the 42MB one... I've got the 42MB one here, since I'm on a 56KB modem, and I was wondering what the other one offered, to decide whether to download it or not... Could anyone please tell me what they differ on? I'd like to know...

Thanks a lot in advance, people.

Ariel.

Share this post


Link to post

One is a zip, one is a rar. Different compression ratios (I presume the zip didn't feature maximum compression). Same files.

The one in the archive is a zip because the archive doesn't accept non-zips.

Share this post


Link to post

Understood. I noticed the difference in format, but didn't mention that. Thanks for your help, Grazza.

Ariel.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×