Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pandoracell

question about doom collectors edition

I have a question about doom collectors edition. I recently bought it at my local wal-mart, expexting to get the original ultimate doom, doom2, and final doom. well, I got version that seem to run on the doom 95 engine. my question is wether I will be able to mod these games with regular editors(I currently use doom builder) and wether mods I make with thise will work with the original versions. thanks!

Of course you can. The only difference is that the DOS-Exe is missing.

You can either download the EXE from the source ports section here on Doomworld if you need it or better, get a source port.

ok, thanks.(just think its kinda weird that you get all the stuff on this cd for 10$, but on id's site its 20$ for ultimate doom alone)

The original exes can be obtained from myk's site. Then you should have everything you would have had if you had bought these games before the DOS exes were removed (the iwads were not changed).

Also, the shareware v1.9 exe is exactly the same as the Doom2.exe v1.9 (surprising but true).

I bought DCE and I'm happily making my first crappy maps.

I just downloaded zDOOM and put the WAD files in zDOOM's directories. I even made it so when I double-click a WAD it starts zDOOM using that WAD :)

Graf Zahl said:

Of course you can. The only difference is that the DOS-Exe is missing.

Well, you could, but...Doom95... It's just not worth it.

Darkhaven, go to sleep if you have nothing remotely intelligent to say. It's late, boy.

pandoracell said:
my question is wether I will be able to mod these games with regular editors(I currently use doom builder) and wether mods I make with thise will work with the original versions.

Newer editors (DeepSea, XWE, Doom Builder) indeed have lots of features that are post-source code release specific, including things that apply to one engine and not another, so they may be confusing as to what to use and what not to, and where. You could try starting with an older editor (WadAuthor, for instance) if this seems baffling at first. Yet if you manage to understand the usage of a newer editor you should probably be saving time an effort in the long run.