Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brookhaven M.D.

Doom4?

So basically, the odd numbered ones are gonna be Mars/Hell and the even numbered ones are gonna be Earth/Hell? Heh.

Well, id software isn't going to do a Quake IV. They've hired another company to make it. They're not making a Wolfenstein sequel either, they've hired another company to make it. Chances are they'll give Doom 4 to another company.

Great business sense from id. Create great franchises. Hire other companies to make you lots more money off those franchises while you get to start something new and exciting. Sell the exsisting game engines too for loads of $$$.

What is id going to do? Well, my guess is they're going to focus more on vehicles for the new franchise. The Unreal Engine has vehicles, and so does the Source Engine. Vehicles may be very helpful to sell future versions of the engine. Now vehicles could be anything from a dragon, to a tank, to a jet, or to a skatboard.

That being said, if they can top Doom 3. I'm there.

From my understanding, Doom 3 already has support for vehicles. There just aren't any in the game.

-E

I think ID should come up with some new gaming ideas. I mean, they released Return to castle wolfenstein and now Doom 3, both of which are old concepts.

They're new game isn't going to be related to anything they're done before. It's all going to be brand new material. An RTCW sequel is being done by Gray Matter (Am I right there?) and Raven is doing Quake IV so that leaves 2 big names out. Besides, nothing like the feeling of something new IMO. I think they should do something new myself.

I saw the vids to and the "we are done with Doom" made me laugh. They are done, NOW, cause they have been working for years on this. So now they are ready for something fresh. But after a couple years, they will realize (well I think they already know, they aren't stupid) that Doom is the cornerstone on their company and they will make something new in the Doom field. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. (they gave Quake away cause in one of the vids the company didn't like the frantic MP way of playing in Quake)

sandmanfvr said:

(they gave Quake away cause in one of the vids the company didn't like the frantic MP way of playing in Quake)

It's funny how multiplayer Doom 3 is that same frantic level of play. Granted, Doom 3 wasn't focused on multiplayer, you'd think if they were unhappy with that style of online play they would have kept the movement speeds the same as single player.

Personally, I don't like Doom 3's multiplayer. My only wish is that the new Wolfenstein keeps things more realistic.

-E

Well I think they didn't like the WHOLE game to be that way. I like the UT series better than the Quake series, but frantic MP has it's place. I haven't played Doom 3 MP since I have dial up. I wish bots would be released.

Sephiroth said:

i think there was even disagreements and such about doing doom III.

Paul Steed being fired comes to mind.

if they already said they arent gonna make one then oh-well. but im sure it would easily be a top-seller. with all the rant pages on this site im sure they can figure what people want outa another game and how to complete the whole hell on earth feel. i would really like to see id make a remake of doom 2, hehe that would be one tight ass game, if they ever make it.

Jomero said:

DooM II's levels don't flow together very well, and many of them serve no story purpose other than to be a cool level (unless you'd like to tell me just what the hell "Tricks and Traps" was for in the storyline). DooM II did have a story, but you had to search for external means and/or ONLY read the cutscene texts to really figure it all out.

Well screw Doom 2 for a moment here, this is the Doom 3 engine we're talking about and there's always room for improvement.

I always wanted a Doom 2'esque Doom game (when I started dreaming about a Doom III ten years ago, I actually imagined it as a new "Hell on Earth" sorta game, but continuing the storyline after Doom 2) with a better story and better graphics and stuff.
I still think one or two add-ons would do the job nicely - look at the Quake 2 mission packs (especially The Reckoning) for crying out loud! They were pretty much better than the original game.

Btw, I hear the Doom 3 doesn't have much in terms of storyline (makes me want to get the damn game all the more just so that I can see if it's true - I hate being unable to strike back), so a bunch of add-ons with as little storyline to it wouldn't seem to hurt? (bad joke).

Doom3 has a really rich story, it just takes a while to piece together.

And IMO, there's room for an expansion pack story in there... but I dunno about Hell On Earth. I'll say nothing more since this is the spoiler free section. :P

I dunno about iD and especially Carmack giving anyone else his brainchild DOOM - would be like LucasArts giving Star Wars to Tri-Star

I don't think you'll get a DOOM 4 anytime soon, maybe another 10 years, as adding the #4 there would hint/denote a NEW engine.

Anyway stuff iD, give DOOM back to fans anyway, I'm more interested a CLASSIC DOOM MOD for DOOM 3 - something that makes it more like a technology remake of the originals.

Also it would be interesting to see a an official expansion for doom3, which I say is likely as in 6months or so from now people will want something new, and if they can play something new under there fancy d3 engine they'll be happier. No doubt there will be expansion packs fo say an expanded universe stories, think Blue Shift for half-life, say a 10 level add on where you lead a char to his death at the end :)

If there is a DOOM2 story/style version of DOOM3 official or not it would be great to see the future shotgun removed for an earthly one etc. Could also make way for the double barrel!!! Also too see some nice rustic/gothic looking buildings in full 3D in the theme of the old d2 levels

dsm said:

Why do I get the impression that people think that "add-on packs = bad storyline"?

And I think it's pretty certain that Doom 3 does not include "Hell on Earth" for several reasons:

1. There are only 28 levels (revealed in a recent review) - not enough room to portray the entire Doom 1 and Doom 2 storyline into one. Even if they did, the pacing of the story would be too great, too much of a rush.

2. Id have said time and time again that the game takes place on Mars and in Hell. If Earth was an additional setting, they'd have said so I'm convinced.

3. It will require far too much extra effort to create a convincing Earth city setting along with a Martian research base setting - much better if they focused on either setting separately.

4. No screenshots showing Earth-like locations.

Personally I have not played the game yet, so what I'm about to say might not hold very tight on grounds, and I have absolutely no idea what the story is in store of the game. However, for some reasons, if id isn't planning on making Doom 4, which is supposedly a remake of Doom 2, I think id should have really included "Hell on Earth" in Doom 3. Despite the fact that Doom 2 was officially made by id, even though I always felt it seemed more of a pro-fan production, judging on how quick the development went, the theory that demons from hell escape to Earth and once again marine has to start another battle sounds pretty slim to me if that's what Doom 2 has to begin with.

Here are some of my opposite thoughts of what you have pointed out:
1. I agree with you that 28 levels in Doom 3 just wouldn't do the justice for the storyline, and that might just id one more reason to extend the length of the game, since there's plenty of people been complaining about it ever since the info was leaked out of Willit's mouth.

2. I thought I have read in some magazine that said Dr. Betrugar(sp?) was supposed to release a bunch of zombies army to Earth. So I guess that isn't really the case after all. But if id had a larger workers force and resources, I trust they would have had enough time to work it out.

3. All in all, it's basically really up to how they would arrange and adjust the plots. "Hell on Earth" doesn't necessarily have to be as long as Half Life 2. Also, by extending the length of the game would have made up room to fill in this oddness of chaos of Earth. To me, Half Life 2 is basically the same as Doom 2's idea with altered settings and everything else. So maybe playing HL2 would make you Doom 2 fans a bit more satisfied in case you won't get to play a Doom 2 remake.

4. Because they didn't make any.