Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StRiKeR

Now this sucks!

My computer got hit by lighting last night, even though it was plugged into a surge protector. It was a wicked storm, that lasted 4 hours. Some of the loudest thunder I have ever heard in my entire life. Anyway, I opened up the case and my motherboard, sound card, and video card are fried. I just bought the 9800 XT last week :-( So it's gonna be awhile before I can experiance the gaming bliss that is DOOM 3... Why not go buy another one, well unfortunetly, my fridge, and washer, and dryer are fried also. So.......

So guys, if a storm comes up, unplug all expensive equipment regardless if its plugged into a surge protector or not. Better yet, cut off the main power at the freakin breaker! :-(

Sorry about that, but when I am done on my pc, I turn it off and un plug it. Always. Never have to worry about lightning. Hope you get the computer up and running soon.

Yeah we live and learn, I am on a Athlon 800 mhz,64mb ram,and a 32mb gforce 2 right now,lol.

If you just bought the card you might be able to exchange it.

Don't TELL them it got fried by lightning. Unless it's real obvious by looking at it just say "It doesn't work in my system, I need to exchange it for another one." As long as you have the receipt they should go for it...unless of course you bought it on ebay or something like that. I had a modem I bought at BestBuy get fried like that within a week of getting it...I took it back and traded it in (for a better modem no less).

Tonight at 8:00 (GMT -700) I will stop playing DooM 3 and turn off my computer from 5 minutes in memorial to your PC.

etimmerAZ said:

Tonight at 8:00 (GMT -700) I will stop playing DooM 3 and turn off my computer from 5 minutes in memorial to your PC.

Likewise. Although I won't have Doom 3 for 2 weeks (must stop gumbling about that).

Who wants to bet he replaces his pc first and is playing Doom 3 in a few days while starved (no food), wearing same clothes for a week (no washer), and unbathed (maybe water heater got taken out too!)?

Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the company that made the surge protector to replace your system?

On a related note, a friend of mine had a similar problem and found out that his gear was infact fine, it was the power supply that needed replaced. The system would come on but only in windows and only 8 bit color or something like that.

Took the repairman 3 days to realize the problem was the power supply.

-E

I will turn off my computer for 30 minutes with Doom 3 sitting on my desk to mourn for your loss...

...But its odd cause my house got surged many times and my pc never fried ????

My weekend got all fucked up and didn't get to play D3 as planned. I offer this weekend up in memory of your PC.

My weekend>30 min>5 min My sacrifice rules!

Buff the charred carbon off the insides and take it back to where you bought it. Throw a big fucking tantrum in the middle of the store.

Don't swear or act physically aggressive, but make a lot of noise and demand to see the manager. Don't admit to any technical knowledge about pc's, just bitch up a storm and demand a replacement, now, at once, and fucking immediately. Threaten them with Trading Standards and false advertising, because the piece of shit they sold you just doesn't work, and you've already spent a fucking month on the phone to their tech support, who are all useless wankers...

Err, but don't swear. I know it's hard... ;)

They'll give you a new one if you're loud enough.

Guaranteed. ;)