Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

"Last" Classic Doom Project

Okay, so within hours, Doom 3 will have gripped the community (well not me, its not released for another week or so in england) It looks like its goodbye to classic doom

Anyone interested in setting up a pass me around classic doom map (no ports, just classic!) that a few of us can work on, just to have a classic doom map to look forward to in the midst of the Doom3 hype.

Any editors free and interested (ahem. Doom editing that is)?

You blew everything waaay out of proportion. Doom will live, don't worry about it.

There have been lots of threads speculating about the impact Doom3 will have on the popularity of the classic Dooms, with the consensus mostly that Doom 1/2 will be alive and well for many years to come. Possibly with new fans thanks to Doom3.

So these apocalyptic statements are out of place. There will be many more classic Doom projects.

Doom will never die!

There will be a time when Doom3 is just a memory of the past (as it happened to Quake 1+2) but Doom will live on. The gameplay of the Doom cannot be replicated with the graphical demands of today.

This may not be the last project for Doom of all time (there will be many more to come), but does happen to be the last one before the release of Doom 3.

Well, I think that after DOOM 3 will see MORE projects for classic DOOM (for ports and for vanilla). After looking on some of the monsters screenshots I incresed my like for the original creatures.

duncan said:

Anyone interested in setting up a pass me around classic doom map (no ports, just classic!) that a few of us can work on, just to have a classic doom map to look forward to in the midst of the Doom3 hype.

Phobos Revisited, a complete episode replacement for Knee Deep in the Dead, is nearly done (7 maps 100% and the eighth map is at 50%). It's designed for vanilla DooM, but I'm sure people will feel free to use their favorite source ports.

I'm oldskool. Actually, I don't have a computer that will run Doom3 nor do I have the money to buy it anyway.

Doom3 plays so little like the other games, I doubt it'll permanently steal the attention of anyone who likes the classic Dooms enough to still be playing them. It's a different kind of game.

Better games have been made in the last 10 years and we still are moding this relic... why would we all of a sudden stop playing Classic Doom now?

Grazza said:
There will be many more classic Doom projects.

Indeed.

ReX said:
Phobos Revisited, a complete episode replacement for Knee Deep in the Dead, is nearly done (7 maps 100% and the eighth map is at 50%). It's designed for vanilla DooM, but I'm sure people will feel free to use their favorite source ports.

Cool!

I dunno about anyone else, but i will probably still be creating stuff for doom and doom 2 when doomworld.com/20years rolls around, it will be right under the news post saying "Mordeth is nearly finished!"

Yeah, I think this kind of signals Doom finally losing it's steam after all these years... Sad, its true, but I think that the newbies who will, and are showing up, on account of Doom 3, will add to the community a bit. And also, somone's probably going to release a doom 3 celebration Wad. Well, maybe, considering they put some effort into making that Doom 10th birthday wad, with the giant cake.

I got some maps that with some constructive crticism and overhauling could be acceptable for your wad. Anyways, shoot me a PM if your interested.

Yeah, I think this kind of signals Doom finally losing it's steam after all these years...

RTC, Millenium, Mordeth (only joking!), ACTION! Doom, CC2 (Gotta be done soon right) and the others...doom dead? get real, Its just getting started!

Shaviro said:

Did anyone stop to think that Doom/2 and Doom3 might live together, side by side?

Exactly. I for one still love doom and doom2, but I'm playing doom3 right now and will be actively involved in its community base for some time to come. I have no plans of never playing classic doomage ever again.

Shaviro said:

Did anyone stop to think that Doom/2 and Doom3 might live together, side by side?

Unfortunately I think most minds are too small to handle this...

Some sites, like Doomworld, pay attention to both games, which is fine, since they share the DOOM name and are by the same company. Yet; if any site or person sees them as separate, it's not really so unusual, since in respect to toechnology and play (as far as FPSs go) the games are quite distant... we can see for instance, that other sites that catered more to Quake 3 modders now have more DOOM 3 editing savvy members than Doomworld does at the moment.

If you really love DOOM1 then you could always wait around for Darkhaven's megawad to be finished.
I'm currently helping him out as a mapper. :)
The project doesn't have any strict deadlines though, so you might be waiting for quite a while...And the team is kinda small...
But anyways, we are determined to see it get finished sooner or later!!

heh, what? i don't even have actual plans to play doom3 let alone abandon the original. but i'm busy right now working on under neith.

DarkJedi188 said:

If you really love DOOM1 then you could always wait around for Darkhaven's megawad to be finished.
I'm currently helping him out as a mapper. :)
The project doesn't have any strict deadlines though, so you might be waiting for quite a while...And the team is kinda small...
But anyways, we are determined to see it get finished sooner or later!!

Yeah, I've been meaning to update that thread. I've made some key changes since the last update.