Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A655321

Should I buy a new processor or a new video card?

Hello, very soon now I will have Doom 3, as will the rest of you. My computer will surely be able to run it, but not to its full potential. My birthday is coming up on August 19th, and I'm wondering what my one present should be.

PC Specs
Pentium 4 2.02ghz
1 gb of ram
Geforce 4 ti4600
SB Audigy 5.1

Should I get a new processor or a new video card? If I get either it will likely be 500 dollars at the very most.

If I get a video card, should I get an Nvidia or an ATI? Why? Which card should I get, specifically?

So you're suggesting I spend my birthday money on a hooker?

[EDIT]Really though, I'd like to use my birthday on something to improve my computer. What do you suggest?

I'd go for a new video card if you really want to spend the money, but try the game on your current rig first, you may not want to buy anything new if it runs well.

A655321 said:

So you're suggesting I spend my birthday money on a hooker?

[EDIT]Really though, I'd like to use my birthday on something to improve my computer. What do you suggest?

Hmmm you really need a whole new rig, buddy. Send me yours . . .

No offense but your video card is a shitter, time for an upgrade. Don't get me wrong it'll run doom 3. But the experience would be way cooler if you could run it with the graphics bumped up. Get a 6800 ultra if you can or a 6800 gt if the ultra is too expensive for you :P.

Although you should be okay I would rather go for a processor.
What a lot of people don't relize is the ti series is arguably the most outlasting generation ever made. On top of that, the d3 engine is actually made to rely on the central processor for much of its audio and other non-graphic processes. And i stick by my opinion about the ti series. The $200 I payed for my ti4200 is the best $200 I have ever spent on any piece of hardware.

RamboBones said:

No offense but your video card is a shitter, time for an upgrade. Don't get me wrong it'll run doom 3. But the experience would be way cooler if you could run it with the graphics bumped up. Get a 6800 ultra if you can or a 6800 gt if the ultra is too expensive for you :P.

You're wrong, buddy. A GF4600 is perfectly fine for Doom 3, in fact, Doom 3 was pretty much made to run well on one. His specs are fine for running Doom 3 on Medium to High Quality.

BBG said:

You're wrong, buddy. A GF4600 is perfectly fine for Doom 3, in fact, Doom 3 was pretty much made to run well on one. His specs are fine for running Doom 3 on Medium to High Quality.

Yes I said it would run doom 3 fine. I just said it would run BETTER with a higher quality card. In my opinion the frame rates and graphics quality on that card are acceptible but it's ********ly worth the cash to upgrade, and yes I have played doom 3 on a system with that video card.

HOw bout this ?

Amd duron 1,3 ghz
512 ddr ram (333mhz)
geforce4 mx440 64 mb.

what do i need o great knowers !?

btw I'm a swede.. I get the game the 13:th which btw is a friday now that i think of it *gasp*

Nocturnal_poet said:

HOw bout this ?

Amd duron 1,3 ghz
512 ddr ram (333mhz)
geforce4 mx440 64 mb.

what do i need o great knowers !?

Please read the DOOM 3 FAQ before posting your specs and asking whether or not your system will run Doom 3.

I'll let this thread continue unless it turns into more people asking "Hey these are my specs will it run?!1"

Its true, doom 3 runs better on Nvidias, but If I were to upgrade I'd rather go with ATI. A new x800 is pretty much similiar to the 6800 ultra. The 6800 ultra is only a little bit more powerfull than the x800, but also requries two power drops. Your proc is fine. If you upgrade the proc you usually need a new MB, and if you do that, why not just go all the way and get a new comp.

Dont get mad and tell me to look at a stupid FAQ, I have doom3 running good, But when theres alot of stuff on screen and its a large enviorment, i get a large decrease in FPS, I wana know what i would see the biggest improvement out of, one note tho, If i need to upgrade processor im screwed and need a new computer because its got the fastest one this mobo can handel

Intel P4 1.5ghz
512MB ram
ATi Radeon 9200(128mb)

i can only upgrade 1 and im VERY short on money right now.

You'll notice that a) I'm not mad and b) I didn't quote you I quoted the person right above me, so calm down.

I said I would let the thread continue as long as it didn't turn into something like 20 people all posting their specs and asking if it'll run good.

processers usually dont do much for games. Sure they make a differnce, but nowhere near as much as RAM or a new card does. If I had a 9200 I'd probably upgrade it to a 9600 XT.

sorry I was just restless and needed to know.

ANd you know the Faq never really actually to 100 % resembly your own system so..

btw I'm drunk right now.. and I cant believe Linquica sawed Doom3 ยจ*aaaargh*

Well funny thing, I dont think im going to need to upgrade, i might, but i was playing on LOW, and i tried out MED and it actually ran smoother.

I have a system just like you. It has the exact same card to. P4 2gig ,640 megs of ram usung the same video card. I wanted to be safe so I just got a pretty reasonable priced card for $130 >G force FX 5700 256 of ram. I can play the game either two ways. 1024 by 768. on medium settings with surround sound off and its pretty playable. Or I can play at 800 by 600 on high setings with surround on and its very very playable. But if I try 1024 by 768 on high settings with souround on it struggles and cops up abit.. Hope that helps...