Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ayu

Does anyone here know what the word"id" means

Now I know tons of people who have absoloutly no idea what the ID is. I mean I've asked doomers and they said "They make first person shooters". But for all those people who have no idea, the ID is actually a part of your brain, it's basically the point in your subconciance (sp?) where your imagination and emotions come together, as an example things that make you afraid meet the emotions you'd have when you come up to it, etc. etc.

The id is the function of the psyche responsibe for unconscious will, desire, and just plain selfishness.

Funfact: The id software guys originally called themselves Ideas from the Deep or I.D. Later on that name evolved to plain old "id".

Amaster said:

The id is the function of the psyche responsibe for unconscious will, desire, and just plain selfishness.

I wonder what it would be like if Id called themselves "ego" or "superego" instead.

That definition is partly skewed, though, for the subconscious is the "otherness" distinct from the self... would you say the selfish nonself? It's similar in function to the superego, yet opposing; and there is no ego except for a mirage within their clash.

The id disperses the ego, while the superego compresses it.

From what i heard, being put simply:

Id = The wants: food, pleasure, sex and the like. A selfish state
Ego = The protective side to us, and the awareness of danger and the like. Still a selfish state as it's looking out for number 1, and protecting the id (from what i heard)
Superego (sometimes called our conscience) = The protective side for others, being aware of people and the like and may refer to social needs. A non-selfish state. Apparently we have criminals in the world because some of us don't fully develop a superego.

Extend on that as necessary. ;)

That's something else, DooMBoy... although curiously some people end up spelling id incorrectly as ID; which is the usage given for the meaning identification.

On another level the id does have to do with a certain meaning of identity, where everything merges as indistinguishable... thus one, or a unity, in that formless state. The other meaning of identity associated to the individual is pretty much on the other side of the spectrum; to distinguish something separately within that whole.

BlueSonnet said:
Id = The wants: food, pleasure, sex and the like. A selfish state

I'd agree it demands, mostly; but it can't be "selfish" without a degree of pressure from the superego, containing the energy of that demand at the point of the ego. The truly egoistic has both a demanding id and an equally imperious superego. The extreme opposition inflates the ego. Who says desire is miserly?

læmænt said:

While discussing this, remember that Freud was wrong and most of his stuff has been disproven.

He even admitted all his stuff was bullshit once. :P

Anyway, yeah. Id hit it!

Demon Hunter said:

Their name has nothing to do with the psyche it means interactive digital software.

id's website, which is official, says:
id - Freud's primal part of the human psyche

pwned!

Demon Hunter said:

Their name has nothing to do with the psyche it means interactive digital software.

You're stupid.

-E

Black Hand said:

He WAS fired for a reason you know....

DAIKATANA!! HOY! HOY! HOY! HOY! HOY!

læmænt said:
While discussing this, remember that Freud was wrong and most of his stuff has been disproven.

What a troll.

But to expound, theories aren't treated that way... developed thought's an inquiry in nature, not an answer. All theories are wrong, because you can't be right... except during the point you make the claims, and in the effect they have.

So yeah; I agree.

gargoylol said:

Oh by the way, it's pronounced "idd", and not "eye-dee". Official word from Romero.

Up until I watched the G4 video, I had always pronounced it 'eye-dee'

/me blushes

læmænt said:

He was also a cokehead.