Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Doom

Final Doom and Level Editors

Can anyone tell me if Final Doom has a built in level editor that I could make my own FD levels on?

Yes but is Final Doom for the pc because I dont have any Doom games downloaded on my pc and the Doom builder doesn't work with Doom demos 4 sum reason.

Yes, Final Doom is for the PC (but like Doom 2, there is no demo version). Basically, Final Doom is just two megawads, although fairly good ones for the most part.

Ichor said:

Yes, Final Doom is for the PC (but like Doom 2, there is no demo version). Basically, Final Doom is just two megawads, although fairly good ones for the most part.

Yup, but its much more difficult than DOOM2. Very good in my opinion if your looking for a nice challenge.

I'm not looking for a challenge, I'm looking for a Doom game that the Doom builder can work on.

Doom2 is the standard choice as the base for pwads. Not everyone has Final Doom.

The only differences between Doom 2 and Final Doom are new music, textures, and maps.

Dr.Doom said:

I'm not looking for a challenge, I'm looking for a Doom game that the Doom builder can work on.

All you basically need is an IWAD, which is the .wad file that comes with DooM, DooM2, and Final DooM. Per id Software's request, map editors will not work with the shareware version of DooM.

As Ichor pointed out, there are differences between DooM, DooM2, and Final DooM -- DooM has the fewest graphics, weapons, and enemies. So, depending on which wad you're intending to build a map for, you'll select the appropriate configuration file in your map editor.

And the appropiate configuration for Final Doom levels with Doom Builder is:

Engine:Doom II
Main IWAD:Plutonia
Extra Textures from WAD:TNT

At least, that's how I do it. :P

So in other words go and buy doom: collector's edition (FROM A SHOP!, WITH MONEY!), install doom and doom 2 (or just copy doom.wad and doom2.wad and play them with a port such as zdoom), and you can also edit for them then

heh..built in map editor, what does he think this is?

deathbringer said:

heh..built in map editor, what does he think this is?

Well, he can't stop making stupid post, can he? :P

Exactly! Some people used to say there are only stupid questions. I have asked many, and still do. Just point the poor person to as many beginner editors as possible. IMO, WadAuthor was the only one that worked for me. I still use it. Doombuilder has the most un-intuitive interface for a beginner.

Stop using DoomBuilder and you might start making some maps!

(BTW, I am NOT attacking DoomBuilder. I know MANY use it including some of my favorite authors, but it just doesn't work for some of us.)

BlueSonnet said:

Nope but there are plenty of editors around.

Everyone uses this

I don't use that one. I still prefer WinDEU :P
Careful not to use too much bias/stereortypes!

DarkJedi188 said:

I don't use that one. I still prefer WinDEU :P
Careful not to use too much bias/stereortypes!

Ugh... That one can't do ANYTHING! How can you work with it? :?

Graf Zahl said:

Ugh... That one can't do ANYTHING! How can you work with it? :?

Dude, it allows me to make everything that I want to in my maps. It never gave me any problems. So I just stick with it. Period.