Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Do you like the game?

Yes.

The game was everything I hoped for. In fact, I say we change the dating system. August 3rd should be Jan 1st 0000 AD3, and everything before be BD3 (Before Doom 3)... because Doom 3 is way more important than that Jesus dude.

(yes, If there's a hell, I'm sure I got a nice warm spot reserved)

Yes.

dczanik said:

Oh there is. I've been there. ;)

I'm liking it very much so far. I know it's all new and flashy and everything, but in my opninion, it's really shaping up to be the most well produced single player experience to date.

The level of quality in EVERYTHING (I mean everything) I've experienced in the game so far is just top level. Honestly, you just haven't experienced anything like this in a game, ever.

I can't comment much on mp yet, as I don't really know how it works (I've spent most of my time with DOOM II and Quake III, and this game is very different from both in deathmatch). However, it has always been my full intention to focus on multiplayer in this game, so I'll get back with this forum sometime after I get a hang of what deathmatch in DOOM 3 is all about.

Yes, this game fricken rules. Besides the original Doom, this is probably the only FPS I like more than Halo.

However I hope I get a theme change soon or some more windows. I can't stand being cooped up underground in these metal rooms, cmon lemme see some mountains!

It's all right. The graphics are very good, the sounds are sub-par and not all of the the scripted sequences flow right. And most of the 'surprises' are wicked predictable. The story is pretty cool so far though.

The biggest thing is that some of the fight scenes are pretty cool. Like the first time I took on about 6 Imps at once was a really good location. Had to climb down a ladder into a circular room. Then the next time I took on 6 Imps to get the plasma gun I was thinking, didn't I just do this?

Don't get me wrong, I am ********ly enjoying the game but there just something I can't put my finger on that bugging the hell out of me. I think it's the overuse of scripted monsters.

-E

Why the fuck is the word d.efinate censored and not the word fuck?

I am underwhelmed so far, the "surprises" are uber predictable (oh look a chaingun!!! I wonder what will happen when I pick it up???), the sounds are subpar (the plasma rifle sounds worse than the original for chrissakes) and the surfeit of hidden rooms that open up for monsters to pop out at you is very Doomy, but also very strange when placed in a "realistic" game. Oh and having to listen to a long audio message just to get a code for a locker has lost its appeal.

Linguica said:

...and the surfeit of hidden rooms that open up for monsters to pop out at you is very Doomy, but also very strange when placed in a "realistic" game.

I was really wondering how they were going to handle that aspect. To be honest I thought they would leave that stuff out, exactly because it wouldn't fit in with the level of realism in the game.

My only major gripe at this time is that some places are just stupidly dark. You often cant see the enemies and have to fire blindly in hopes that you'll hit them. Or wait for them to fire so you know where they are.

DaJuice said:

I was really wondering how they were going to handle that aspect. To be honest I thought they would leave that stuff out, exactly because it wouldn't fit in with the level of realism in the game.

I agree. Having monsters pop out of holes in the walls that are just that, a hole for that particular monster, kills the emmersiveness (sp) sometimes.

I will admit though, I've been scared a few times though. Usually I get scared when I see or hear a demon warping in, mostly because I don't know exactly what's coming.

-E

The gameplay is meh. The atmosphere is great, but a game can only rely on that for so long.

It's not going to have the longetivity that the first two Doom games have had, and if it does, it will live on like Half-Life has, through mods instead of the merits of the game itself.

Captain Red said:

how half-lifey is it?

Very much so. In fact, I'd say the gameplay is more HL than Doom. Not that there is anything wrong with that. (IMO)

Captain Red said:

how half-lifey is it?

It plays like Half-Life with a lot of shadows. It's not really Doomy at all, aside from some of the enemies (I'd say the weapons as well, but let's face it, every FPS since Doom has swiped from Doom's arsenal, so there's really not much nostalgia in the plasma gun and such).

Basically, if you were expecting a game that was going to push the genre foward, this ain't it, but it's still a good game if you can accept what it is.

Got it today, put at least 2 hours into it. Running fairly well on the ti4600 until new computer is built.

Overall I'm pleased. Why the quake-sound for picking up medkits?? I dont have many gripes so far, except the game is linear, and I knew that was coming. I find the action to be well paced, and scary. So far I've not bored with the game, good sign!

I'm still amazed at how good everything looks, even running at medium quality. I'm not sure if this happens on other graphics settings, but I dont care for the 'insta-gib' when you give a zombie a good blast with the shotgun. They kinda melt and vanish. hmmm...

I can see the HL similarities in certain instances... but this seems more like System Shock 2 to me than anything else. From the chat logs, to the slow moving ambient atmosphere, and the way that just because you passed through an area doesn't mean you've cleared it of enemies. Not that that's much of a bad thing. But it's not orginal by any means.

I didn't think it was very Doomy until near the end of Mars City and then Alpha Labs. Now the pace is finally picking up. The PDA clusterfuck isn't that cool, but I appriciate the short break in between getting scared.

Getting scared.

Now that's not something that Doom 1 or 2 has been able to do to me in a long ass time, and I am loving every second of it.

Too bad the server browser is beyond fucking broken. Still, the DM is fun when you're on the right server, and this game is just begging to be modded into flashlight tag.

Linguica said:

I am underwhelmed so far, the "surprises" are uber predictable (oh look a chaingun!!! I wonder what will happen when I pick it up???)

Yea because the whole doom series targets the intellectual elite.
<.<

It's a masterpiece. It looks and performs wonderful, even on low graphic settings. A credit to some fine coding.

I can't understand people bitching about the audio. It's wonderful. The shotgun sounds punchier to me than even the DB shotty in Doom 2, and I think any hints of weakness in the sounds of the others are another part of the psychological aspect. As in "This fucking huge demon is attacking me and all I have is this wimpy pea shooter?!!?!" In Doom, you feel like a conquerer. I think in Doom 3, the idea is more simply to survive.

The flashlight looks and functions awesome. The inability to hold a weapon at the same time was annoying, but once I bound the flashlight toggle to my middle mouse button it became a non issue.

The PDA is a masterstroke. I adore Doom, always will, but in terms of conveying the enormous tragedy that is the centerpiece of it's story, it failed pretty spectacularly. All you saw were a few dead marines here and there. Listening to the audio logs, watching the videos and reading the e-mails, each giving a feel of the person responsible, I get a much greater sense of human tragedy which only serves to help enhance the game. I feel more like I'm living it. In Doom you just shoot shit. In Doom 3 I feel a greater sense of purpose and direction.

Even after I haven't played it for about 40 minutes, I still feel a weird feeling in my chest from the adrenaline spikes. I've cried out in surprise more often in an hour or two of Doom 3 than I have done in Doom over the last five years. You get the sense that the demons have the upper hand at all times, not you, and any one of them is capable of kicking your ass if you don't deal to them quickly enough. The demons are unpredictable and dangerous. Even in the early days, Doom's woefully predictable AI meant I seldom felt threatened or truely challenged. The exact opposite is true with this new incarnation.

I'm not finding it predictable at all. I got the chaingun out of a security locker, and as is the standard in all games when you come across a new toy, I fully expected an ambush. It's gospel. Everyone does it. Nothing happened, which made me even more nervous.

The hidden rooms which monsters spring from are denoted on the HUD as maintenance areas or something. They all have pipes or similar in them. Makes sense to me.

Is it original? In some ways no, in some ways yes. Originality is overrated. If it does what it does well, it does not matter to me. If you judged and dimissed games on originality alone then you hard drive would be a sad, lonely place :)

It will not suit every one. People who play purely for thrills and action and don't want anything else are likely to be disappointed, but the material available before the game's release spelt that out pretty clearly.

dczanik said:

Yes.

The game was everything I hoped for. In fact, I say we change the dating system. August 3rd should be Jan 1st 0000 AD3, and everything before be BD3 (Before Doom 3)... because Doom 3 is way more important than that Jesus dude.

Now i don get all religious very often but thats a direct insult, And with stuff like that, doom3 will be heaven compaired to hell.

And yes, doom3 is the best experence ive ever seen in a game, even better then Deus games.

JoelMurdoch said:

Long post

I agree completely. A perfect addition to the series. Doom hasn't done much for me in a long time. Doom3 just revived my love for the series.
How the hell do people expect 100% innovation in a shooter anyway?

The more I play the more I like it. I can sit for several minutes in the maps looking at everything and listening to the sounds. It's great!

^ That sounds like a friend of mine, except he does it in real life, and while he's doing it it's impossible to get his attention.