Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mudbone

doom 3 = average

Not very impressed with the game after all the hype before hand. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing it, it's just that I expected a little more... Not really sure what , but something. Overall the game is fun, but too dark in my opinion (show off those graphics!) Multiplayer was fun for about 30 minutes but I can't see myself playing after the sp mode is finished. Not alot of replay value imo.
-Mud

Same here, pretty much.

It's 90% atmosphere and 10% gameplay. Doom and Doom 2 played very, very well even after the atmosphere lost its luster because they play so well. This... well, it plays okay, I guess, but it really is all about the atmosphere and not much else.

I second that. This game is absolutely the most amazing piece of PC accomplishment I've ever had the privilege of playing. I am REALLY looking forward to the mods and maps that are coming out for it.

It's very fun, but not scary enough. All of the rooms feel cramped because of the xbox port. The enemy marine demons just aren't smart enough, other than that it plays well but the repetition of enemies won't cut it for the most anticipated game (tied with HL2) since the original doom!

My verdict:

Doom 3 = Excellent (but not good enough)

A655321 said:

Uh, ok. Whatever that means.

I haven't beat the game yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. Gameplay is very straight forward, it's very halo, linear, but unlike halo (imho) the game plays well, and is good for a few jumps here and there. I don't think this game is boring in the least. I guess it's just a matter of personal feelings, I can be very satisfied with generic gameplay (although doom3 does have some non-generic parts) but just the way the game feels and looks, the atmosphere alone makes it worth-while.

It's 2am and I've been playing it for about 5 hours so sorry if I'm not making too much sense. Heh.

A655321 said:

It's very fun, but not scary enough. All of the rooms feel cramped because of the xbox port.

DooM 3's design and levels had nothing to do with the XBox. DooM 3 was designed primarily for the PC with a third party converting it to a port. If they were designing it with the Xbox in mind, the levels would be about 1/3 the size they are.

I think if the game would come with a hand-job and people would be dissapointed wanting sex.. I think it's a great game, can't possibly live up to everyone's expectations.. certainly met mine.

Ed said:

I think if the game would come with a hand-job and people would be dissapointed wanting sex.. I think it's a great game, can't possibly live up to everyone's expectations.. certainly met mine.

Exactly.

I dont know, I had pretty mediocre expectations for it. I thought it was going to be some boring FPS with crazy ass graphics. However, I am loving the gameplay more than I thought I would! I personally think a 94 is a very fitting review.

No, really. The handjob was great, I would go so far to call it a blowjob, but considering it was DOOM 3 (!!!!!) it should have been sex. Hot, steamy sex.

I am ********ly not dissapointed with this game. Being a huge fan of the original games since they first arrived, i had HUGE expectations. They have not only matched my expectations but they have greatly surpassed them all with Doom 3. No other game has felt this involved and frightening. It is an amazing piece of gaming artwork. If you do not have Doom 3 yet, GO BUY IT!!

If you defeated it already, then there is nowonder you were not impressed with the game. You need to turn up the settings as high as your PC will go, and set the level to toughest setting and let the adrenaline flow. If you have already done that and still defeated the game, then maybe you need to find something else to do, because you are probably bored of all video games.

gatewatcher said:

Uh, ok. Whatever that means.

I haven't beat the game yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. Gameplay is very straight forward, it's very halo, linear, but unlike halo (imho) the game plays well, and is good for a few jumps here and there. I don't think this game is boring in the least. I guess it's just a matter of personal feelings, I can be very satisfied with generic gameplay (although doom3 does have some non-generic parts) but just the way the game feels and looks, the atmosphere alone makes it worth-while.

It's 2am and I've been playing it for about 5 hours so sorry if I'm not making too much sense. Heh.

I just beat the game on Veteran less than 4 hours ago... Trust me, if you're only 5 hours in you've got a LONG way to go, and you'll be very pleased with the rest of the game. :D

Two thumbs up for Id!

/me goes to play DM

A655321 said:

It's very fun, but not scary enough. All of the rooms feel cramped because of the xbox port. The enemy marine demons just aren't smart enough, other than that it plays well but the repetition of enemies won't cut it for the most anticipated game (tied with HL2) since the original doom!

My verdict:

Arent smart enough eh? I ran away and went up a ladder and they even came to the ladder and found me, thats damn good AI.

mudbone said:

Not very impressed with the game after all the hype before hand. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing it, it's just that I expected a little more... Not really sure what , but something. Overall the game is fun, but too dark in my opinion (show off those graphics!) Multiplayer was fun for about 30 minutes but I can't see myself playing after the sp mode is finished. Not alot of replay value imo.
-Mud

The gamespot review was right on the money. DOOM 3 SP, IN MY OPINION, sucks and multiplayer is virtually nonexistent. I still prefer 'Quake 3' to any other multiplayer game.

I would be more generous but the game has a serious bug with red and white dots (static).

I am only expression my OWN opinion and each person has his/her own taste, so no flames by the fanboyz.

Bid said:

I would be more generous but the game has a serious bug with red and white dots (static).

So, the entire game sucks because your video card is messing up on you? That's a little unfair.

I'm running a few notches above what the game actually requires and it is very well done. So unless you just have a slow PoS computer with a borderline gfx card then you really can't blame the game, blame your computer and yourself for not upgrading to something half ass decent. Have you even upgraded your computer with anything new since Q3 was released? :P

Imp said:

I beat doom3. It was not scary at all. The gameplay wasnt that good either.

That's nice. Now go back to playing Everquest, you cunt.

Though not revolutionary in terms of gameplay - the atmosphere and the story (yes folks, there is one!) more than makes up for it. I can't believe to imagine how stupid the reviewer of Gamespot was. Fine, some of his reservations were warranted - but at least don't contradict your own points so severely. Moreso, the whole "notion" of not praising id has slightly made the review horribly opinionated - some of his points hardly made sense - particularily when the same site gave a game like painkiller or far cry better sound than doom3. I mean what the fuck?

Anyways, rant over. I love the game - best sp since Half Life.

Relica Religia said:

So, the entire game sucks because your video card is messing up on you? That's a little unfair.

It's not just me man, just look at these forums or any other DOOM 3 forums for the popularity of this bug.

doomedout said:

particularily when the same site gave a game like painkiller or far cry better sound than doom3

though i agree with you (uh, painkiller sucks), Far Cry and Doom 3 are both really great games, in my opinion.

Bid said:

It's not just me man, just look at these forums or any other DOOM 3 forums for the popularity of this bug.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that this bug isn't a very popular fellow

The more I advance in the game the more I like it!

I'm really happy I choose vetean difficulty from the start, I have a feeling that marine is too easy if you have been playing fps games for like 12 years...

Also I only play at night with headphones, and alone to make it scarier, and it works somewhat... I'm definatly on the edge when playing!

good work Id!

Bid said:

No, the fact that it's a problem is one thing - but judging the game itself before you can even properly play it is the ludicrous part of it.