Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mudbone

doom 3 = average

I got this game roughly 6 hours ago, I've been up for roughly 32 hours now. <I seem to be having a sleep probme, let alone tornado warnings are goign for my area currently>

Trust me when you need sleep badly, got a GOOD surround sound system and can run High/Ultra High without stuttering and can have the sound as loud as you want. You will jump. Mind you play on the hardest difficulty and have the lights off. Helps a ton.

This game may not be scary if I was well rested, but as seeing the game is killing my tiredness <Adrenaline?> to a degree, I keep playing it. This game looks well done on High/Ultra High.

Doom 3 = Most grahpically adv. game at the current time.
Doom Series = One of longest running series that finally got a well deserved sequel.

Anyways I'm done my rambling... I also think its time I went to sleep... <reluctantly turns his chair from his laptop to his pc and turns of doom 3>

I haven't beaten Doom 3 yet so I might be missing out on a few details but this is what I've found so far.

I'd give Doom 3 a 70% and this is why.
For one, they took out too many of the original monsters. The Cacodemons were changed, the Pain Elementals weren't included (I don't think), there's no Spider Mastermind or CyberSpider, and a few other demons as well. Some of the new demons were nice and all but to have those AND the old one would have been great. Something else I've noticed, the enemy isn't what's scary, it's the atmosphere. I think the game would be a little bit scarrier if the demons were sneakier and more quiet. Make it so that their movement confuses the player and make him (or her) wonder where it's going to pop out. A good example was the Pinky Demom popping out of the wall in the Alpha.

Something else, as someone stated earlier, some of the rooms are too dark. Whats the point of having phenominal graphics if you cant see them? Now, the darkness thing is cool and you can still keep the eerie effect without a pitch black base. Put some sequences where there's a blackout and all the sudden you hear the scutter of 20 trites or have a blackout and then have images flashing on the walls or even have a strobe effect where you'll see enemies moving around you but you can't tell where they are.

Something else was the constant repetition of combat and gameplay. I won't get into it because it's a "Spoiler Free" forum. But lets just say that the objectives tend to repeat themselves. Locate this, gain access to that, etc...

There were a lot of parts in the Alpha that I think would have been great to have in the hi-res Final version of D3. The PD jumping out of the wall, seeing a PD in the bathroom chowing down on a fat zombie, or the ending sequence of the Alpha with the Baron of Hell. That was probably my favorite part of the Alpha. The sounds I'll admit were better but the gun smoke in the Alpha was a little much in my opinion. Guns let off a little smoke, they don't catch on fire...

But, the game is still addictive in it's own way and the graphics are phenominal (when you can see them), the demons are well modelled, and Doom 3 has a bright future in the mod world.

Though there are faults, there are still many strengths as well and I'd recommend any Doom 3 to any doom or sci-fi horror fan out there. Even some of the newbies would get a kick out of it. Remember, there are always the mods and the patches that will be released in the future. The game hasn't been out for a week yet so dont get rid of your copy yet if you were dissapointed. THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR CHANGE! If not made by ID Software than by a user who has the same opinion as you do.

gatewatcher said:

Uh, ok. Whatever that means.

I haven't beat the game yet, but so far I'm very happy with it. Gameplay is very straight forward, it's very halo, linear, but unlike halo (imho) the game plays well, and is good for a few jumps here and there. I don't think this game is boring in the least. I guess it's just a matter of personal feelings, I can be very satisfied with generic gameplay (although doom3 does have some non-generic parts) but just the way the game feels and looks, the atmosphere alone makes it worth-while.

It's 2am and I've been playing it for about 5 hours so sorry if I'm not making too much sense. Heh.

I think first person shooters in general need to put more atsmopshere in the games, so far most little thrown in ideas havent worked. Like the Mario Brother jumping tendancies that exist now. Without atsmsphere it is just another game with guns and things to shoot. I am a little disapointed with the linear part. Hexen created a hub ststem that worked very well in the fps world. I had hoped Doom 3 would use it. I havent been able to play it yet sniff.

Aren't most FPS like this all linear, and repetative...kill monster...go get something to fix something else? And wasn't the original Dooms sort of like that i.e. going to find a key go find the door etc etc...?

I keep hearing people say D3 is linear very "Halo" well Halo was crap might had been good for all the console junkies out there but I don't like consoles...and the PC version of Halo was laughable. Halo for the Xbox is exactly what Doom was for the PC, so even putting Halo in the same basket other than that is just not right.

I'm not much into playing all FPS out there, I never like Rainbow 6 etc. but I have played all the Dooms back in the day and all the Quakes and other than Quake 3 and Quake...sort of...all of id's fps like this are very large scavanger hunts.

Just my 2 cents...sort of boring hearing people say the same thing about the game when it's just like any other fps out there but with a lot better graphics. *shrug*

I think the flashlight\weapon thing is better for the realism. I mean, not ALL guns have a mounted flashlight.

I thought the same thing about the flashlight but once you get use to it, there's nothing to it. I mean if people want to compare games, how about Halflife couldn't you only use the flashlight for a limited amount of time period? The flashlight switching does not bother me I can still walk down a dark hallway see a fiend switch to plasma and kick it's butt. LoL.

All the cools things we saw in videos and previews were just to showcase the engine. Most of the things id promised are missing in the game. Physics is almost non existent in the game. I remember in one interview they said that you can break glasses and manipulate objects etc.

ZiGZaG said:

Aren't most FPS like this all linear, and repetative...kill monster...go get something to fix something else? And wasn't the original Dooms sort of like that i.e. going to find a key go find the door etc etc...?

I keep hearing people say D3 is linear very "Halo" well Halo was crap might had been good for all the console junkies out there but I don't like consoles...and the PC version of Halo was laughable. Halo for the Xbox is exactly what Doom was for the PC, so even putting Halo in the same basket other than that is just not right.

I'm not much into playing all FPS out there, I never like Rainbow 6 etc. but I have played all the Dooms back in the day and all the Quakes and other than Quake 3 and Quake...sort of...all of id's fps like this are very large scavanger hunts.

Just my 2 cents...sort of boring hearing people say the same thing about the game when it's just like any other fps out there but with a lot better graphics. *shrug*

WEll rainbow 6 isn't really a fps, it is just in first person. I never got into quake either 1 and 3 were disapointments so I didn't bother with 2. In fact Hexen 2 was the last fps I played untill Unreal brought a new sence of wow to the fps genre. Im really happy that so far doom3 does not sound like quake 4 with doom monsters. That is what I was really worried about. I cannot play it until there is either a walk around win 98 or I get xp.

ps the hub system worked wonders for the fps gebre but I have not seen it inany non raven fps game. too bad The lacking of a hub system was my only disapointment in Unreal, and one of the many things that bugged me about quake. I dont want to be bashed so I will keep most quake comments to myself :)

ZiGZaG said:

I'm running a few notches above what the game actually requires and it is very well done. So unless you just have a slow PoS computer with a borderline gfx card then you really can't blame the game, blame your computer and yourself for not upgrading to something half ass decent. Have you even upgraded your computer with anything new since Q3 was released? :P

Blame myself eh? How about you give me money and ill upgrade it, im not a multimillionare So if you wana give me some money then you can use that excuse.

Raptor said:

Blame myself eh? How about you give me money and ill upgrade it, im not a multimillionare So if you wana give me some money then you can use that excuse.

LoL, dude I'm far from a multimillionare...I budget my money to purchase things i enjoy, primarily computer parts upgrade that I inturn sell off to recover some of the money I spent. I have a 2 year old little girl and a 6 month old little girl to support plus a wife and a sick mother-in-law on top of all this I'm weak as dishwater with muscular dystrophy and struggle getting up every morning to get ready and work a 14 hour day with commute to make sure my family are taken care of and I have the extra money to buy the things I enjoy. So don't even come near me with any pitty or hardship case because everyone has their own version of hardships and not having all the money they want.

My point in my reply about the graphics card is to not form an opinion on something that is obviously because your system can't play it the way it was meant to be played. I for one don't even have a system compared to some of the gaming monster machines that some of the guys in these forums even have, but I'm happy with the way the game looks and plays and excited about being able to upgrade in the future and it be like playing a new game because D3 has plenty of room to grow for me graphically and game play wise.

My bud priced what we will need to upgrade what we have and it will cost us 700.00 heh 400.00 of it is just video card. I'll be upgrading as soon as I finish getting my full sleeve tattoo that I have been paying 60-120.00 every 2 weeks on. Which should be done by the middle of October. *shrug*

BTW I'm running:
Athlon 2000+ MP
512 MB Sdram
Geforce 4 ti with 128 mb of memory
20 gig WD HD (I know...that's small but I only use it for a couple games heh.)
Soundblaster Live! EAX
MS Digital System 80 surround
Panasonic - Panasync E21 (21" CRT Monitor).
32x CDrw drive.

So as you can tell I'm half of what most people are using to play this game, and glad I don't have to form a bad opinion on a system worse than mine heh.

I heard theres a way to get Doom 3 to work on any OS. Not too sure how though, I saw a topic for it somewhere. It was either here or planetdoom.com

fun-da-mental said:

All the cools things we saw in videos and previews were just to showcase the engine. Most of the things id promised are missing in the game. Physics is almost non existent in the game. I remember in one interview they said that you can break glasses and manipulate objects etc.

And on the bright side it's not like this is the last and final installment of D3 from id, we have expansions that will be coming out and who knows they will probably add the things that are missing to it...I mean the Cyber Demon was the first big foe to face in Doom...We still have the Mastermind to dispatch...haha...looking forward to face'n him again.

BTW I wonder if our marine has a new pet bunny at home to worry about saving earth for. LoL <---that just came to mind while writing about the mastermind. *scratches his head in wonder*

i am really into the game- the graphics are absolutely phonominal and the whole creepy surroundings give me the whole "on the edge" feel. i hope the game stays this exciting. im in alpha and so far people say there is a baron of hell- thinks for the spoiler!!! but its really scary for me and keeping ammo in good supply is gettin hard- especially with all the baddies comin outa walls and stuff. but the main thing i love about the game is how well it sticks to the origonal story- the only thing i dislike is how they didnt put in the whole phobos, deimos, anomalies. well they might have em- i dunno- but if they dont its a lil disappointing. but with my attitude so far, im sure that there is sumtin ahead that will make me quiver with exitement.

Herbie_handcock said:

people say there is a baron of hell-

Is the thing called a baron of hell? I thought so to but I also saw something that made me think it's called a Hell Knight?

fun-da-mental said:

Most of the things id promised are missing in the game.

The ONLY thing ID really promised was to scare the hell out of us. And judging by all the reviews, i think they succeded...

ZiGZaG said:

Is the thing called a baron of hell? I thought so to but I also saw something that made me think it's called a Hell Knight?

well there are hell knights- but they are weaker than baron of hell's... in the game they had the same image for them but the hell night looked a little more brown. and it was weaker, and shot red fire balls instead of the classic green, and no im not mistaking imps!!! in doom 3 im not sure really which one they used- hell knight- or baron of hell- but the only thing i know is that it is one of those. but my guess is the baron, cuz in the origonal doom game the only one was the baron. the hell knight came out with doom 2 and final doom

they are Hell Knights. the Baron of Hell was done away with simply 'cause the roll isn't needed in Doom 3 and Hell Knight is a much better name.

What's the deal with all the flood of n00bs coming back all claiming to be fans of Doom when it came out and when they come to talk abpout Doom 3 they all whine about how it's too easy, too short, too average, not scary, nothing new and same old deal. If they really were old Doom fans then surley they would be expecting Doom 3 to turn out the way it is now.

hehe i agree with that guy.. i mean comon, its a doom game- what do you think was missin, i mean really!!. an besides coming to this forum and ranting is so pointless, its like they are just looking for mistakes most of the time... if your gonna rant at least come up with a good reason, not being that ur graphics card sux or that its too dark and your too scaired