Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Converting Doom to Doom 2 Manually

So, uhm is all I have to do rename the level header and the music lump? (And of course, include any Doom 1 specific textures.)

How deep a conversion do you want? That will start you off sure. You could just grab the texture1, texture2 and pnames lump from doom.wad, and deutex in all the patches and flats.

But why exactly would you want to do it?

Well, heh, I remembered that conversion utility renaming all my textures.

And whoops, I'm talking about PWADS,

I actually did run the utility, but Doom Builder still wants all the other Doom 1 patches, even if they're not used. Damn.

Oh I see.

Quickest way then I reckon, is to make a copy of doom.wad, delete everything in it except for the patches, flats and texture data, and then you should have a basic texture wad that you can run doom1 maps in doom2 with. Of course, if you actually exit into one of the doom2 maps, it will crash.

I'm still not really sure what you're doing though?

Eh, don't worry about it, I got it figured out.

But maybe you can help me with something else. How the FUCK do you split a sector in Doom Builder? Goddarn I miss the simplicity of DETH . . .

Heh, yeah, DETH is really simple. Ahh... good ole' days of DEU and DETH... But, you know, you don't have to use only 1 editor. You can use any number of editors in combination with your favorite, to help you learn your way around a new editor.

Grimm said:

Eh, don't worry about it, I got it figured out.

But maybe you can help me with something else. How the FUCK do you split a sector in Doom Builder? Goddarn I miss the simplicity of DETH . . .

Just draw over one of the sectors?

In the doom2 directory:

zdoom -file doom.wad

In console:

map e1m1

In DB go into sector mode, right click on a linedef. That starts the sector split function.

Okay, You need to draw linedefs in Your sectors that cut trough Your sector like a knife (they go trough the middle of the sector for example) and You are sure it would split it into 2 enclosed sectors. Remember to have that feature turned on in the configurations.

Sector:
--------
|      |
|  1   |
--------

Splitting:

---------
|   \ 2  |
| 1  \  <-- Linedef(s) You draw
---------