Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cliff_Burton

Doom 3 McCrashy

Ummm...I checked my DxDiag and it says 9.0b. I have no idea why your's is still saying 8.1. You might try running memtest86 to check memory. But if you are having mem problems it would occur in other games and not just d3 so that might not be it. I would also check you paging file to make sure windows is controlling it and it's not set at a static amount. This fixed one of my other games that was crashing after about 30mins. You also might try a bare computer system where you take out or disable all hardware except those necessary to run d3. Such as take out any sound cards, lan cards. If you have onboard devices disable them in your bios. See if that will do anything. Basically all you want going is your mouse, keyboard, monitor, and vid card.

mem is fine, i run like 5 other games on my system with no problems.
as for no sound card, are u insane? lol ive tryed playing with out sound, and its just lame, u cant hear any thing comeing ur way or any voice data on the PDA, so u cant even play the game.
this is what i have figured out tho.
it crashes for new areas, but once i get there i can go all the way back and forth with no problems, if it was any thing else besides the direct X, i dont think i would be able to run around like that, it would just crash same as befor right?

my specs are amd 2500+,80gig,5123200ddr,9800drivers 4.2 pro ,I had just bought the game like you all .I was getting a crash just like you all so before I started to get pissed off I raplced my drivers with 4.7 it worked for me no more crashing .I had the same problem as most of you so maybe this will help .

I had the same prob, I'm running a P4 3.06 oc'd to 3.6g with a 1gig of ram and a ati9800 pro> I updated my driver to the 4.9 beta catalyst from ati for doom3 and turned off my anti virus (it made farcry crash all the time) and seemed to work for me...

well, i tryed everything else and nothing works.
so, ive done a fresh install of windoes xp pro, and got the sp1
and loaded my sound n mb and blah blah blah...
one thing i didnt do was install any other games,
and i didnt download the direct x patch, or the direct x
on the windows update thing.
and so far so good, im also useing the 4.9 beta catalyst,
but i have set a restore point and will uninstall that and
try the one that came with the my cid card, seeing as ATI says you shouldnt upgrade the old drivers inless theres one of the few set ishuses wrong,that and i have an all in wounder 9700, the 4.9 beta doom cat.
doesnt install all parts, just whats needed for doom to run, go figure lol
but im running things on high and its flawless.
great game, its only getting better!!! GG

BlackFish said:

My guess is that the console could be overloading with warnings about missing files of some sort. I'm not sure.

Most of these sound like RAM issues. You could try extracting your pk4 files with winrar 3.3 and then renaming the pk4 files to .lol or something. This makes load times WAY shorter and it could help. Also, DeFrag your harddrive(s)!

As for the monitor problem, it's definitaly overheating. Try sticking a house fan right next to the monitor's vents and blow it on high.

If your computer is rebooting on it's own, there are 2 things that could be happening.

1. Too much power is being sucked from the PowerSupply. Make sure you have at least 300W PowerSupply and make sure AA and AF are not on.

2. Overheating. This can be done by cleaning every spec of dust inside the computer. Dust generates heat.

i don't think the pk4 files renaming will work because of the 'pure server" checking the game does natively.

1. AA and AF take more power? Diasbling AA is a possible fix?

2. dust doesnt generate heat. dust restricts airflow which helps dissipate heat.

Anyways... I have the same problem, specs:
AMD xp 2500+
nforce 2 board (asus a7n8x deluxe)
512 ddr ram running at 333mhz
Radeon 9800 pro (not sure of driver version, will check tonight)
sound is the onboard sound provided by the nforce2 chipset

Im going to check tonight about latest drivers for everything but I have to say I have played a lot of multiplayer with no crash, but in single player 2-10 minutes causes a crash...

I also changed my seta image_cacheMegs "20"
setting to different levels trying to improve performance, set to 96 or 128 didn't help the crashing, did improve performance tho.. has anyone with the crash altered this or any other setting in the doomconfig.cfg?

Some Llama said:

2. dust doesnt generate heat. dust restricts airflow which helps dissipate heat.

lol, witch means if u have dust, things are hotter then with out dust, meaning dust = heat no dust = no extra heat.

there for, dust makes heat.

saying that dust "makes heat" is wrong.

saying that dust restricts airflow is correct.

The only thing "making heat" are the electrical components.

lets try and fix the problem though.

update: installed latest Nforce2 drivers for the motherboard chipset and onboard components.

installed latest ATI official 4.7 drivers for 9800 pro.

tried to install 4.9 beta hotfix but this crashed my system.. reverted back to 4.7

system seemed more stable but 20 minutes into a game I got a lockup with sound but nothing else... no keyboard or mouse response just ambient music playing.

do what i did, freash install windows, then install only what you need to play doom 3, make sure it all works, then make restore point, then one by one, install all other games and programs, after each one is installed, make a new restore point.

i figured out the problem was with the direct x,
i recomend not downloading any thing from microsoft that has to do with direct x. just use the doom CD to install it.
i think thats what my problem was seeing as everything works great now.

on a side note, the ATI 4.9 cat. for doom works a LOT better proformence wize, all tho it doesnt install the other parts, but who cares lol

as for heat and dust, yes dust doesnt make heat, but it does insalate it. so, ya it dosnt let as much air hit the board or chip, but thats the same thing as what i was saying. eather way more heat comes from haveing dust, doesnt matter how u say it.

To answer Kabe's question, I played it there because I live in a car, and there are numerous logistic problems with trying to play Doom 3 in a car apart from the obvious fact that it would ruin it the experience.

Well, thanks to everyone's advice here I managed to get it to work great after that. And I ended up staying in the motel room with the windows taped shut playing on my front-projection screen at around 70 inches for 4 days straight. Good times, though my pocketbook's sure gonna feel it!

live ina car but have progetor?
im speechless.
but glad u got it to work.

I have a problem that I need fixing...

Pretty much, Doom 3 hates me. Like I have a AMD 64 3200+ with 1024 MB DDR ram, and a eVGA Geforce 5700 Ultra. I've updated the drivers and everything and for some reason I still get this problem:

Everytime I load up D3, It will freeze in 1 of 2 spots.
Spot 1) Right when it says "Initiallizing Menus..." before the id startup video.
Spot 2) If I get passed step 1, then after clicking New Game It will get to the Loading Screen and freeze at approximately 99%.

I'm getting pretty pissed and I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone knows how to fix my problem..

Thanks.

make sure ur direct x is updated and is ver 9.0 or better
thats the biggest thing, after that , id try dleating drivers and then starting over.

Just thought I'd add 2 more things, the 4.9s crash my system before it even loads the OS so no go there... I haven't had ANY lockups or crashes in multiplayer.. no matter how long I play... only in single player.

Patchy time Id?