Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile1011

Flies

I've decided that my corpses are missing something. Namely, they're missing a cloud of flies buzzing above them. Does anyone know where I could find such an animation? I doubt I could make one myself, as I'm not the patient type.

Maybe you could add it to the gibs. Anyway, I think it's possible to add a few extra frames, then make a deh patch which delays the final gib frame by about a half minute (say 1000 tics instead of -1). Then refer to the new frames (gibs with a few flies buzzing around) which will loop continuously.

I remember a demo wad for ZDoom features had 'swarming flies' sprites, but I forget what it was called or where to find it.

Don's challenge 1 (for EDGE) had buzzing flies, it was just a few black dots zipping around on random paths above a body, and a buzzing noise. The enemy randomly (but often) 'dropped' the flies when it died

psyren said:

Won't XWE rip into Quake2 files? (files - not flies!)

Yes, but the Quake 2 flies are only particles, not sprites.

Heh, yeah and youre just gonna copy-and-paste 'the flies' from quake 2 into doom and it will work

Well, yeah, if they were sprites and not particles,(as Darkhaven has said,) that is exactly what I would do.

No, you're right though. I'd prolly have to pirate someone elses Dehacked file and modify that to get it working even if they were sprites, (or learn to use that program myself instead of stealing from others.) Or use a port that has particle effects, or scripting. Not that I have any idea how to do this, but if I wanted flies I would find a way.

What engine is this for?

Eternity has a built-in Flies particle effect which can be assigned to surround a Thing. Great for already-dead corpses. Or you could give the effect to a new Thing, and have it be spawned by the monster's death frames.