Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

DOS emulation?

Is there a way to play old DOS games on Win2000/XP? I tried DOSbox, it runs the games like crap. Is there another way to play DOS games besides that? I really wanna play OMF again. I don't think there's any source ports for it.

You can expect Dosbox to run OMF slowly - OMF was designed for a 486/Pentium system, and to be running the equivalent of a 486/Pentium in Dosbox, you'd probably need a 4 GHz computer. And that's with a frameskip setting of 1, and sound disabled.

Damn...

There might (just might) be a source port for it, but I doubt it. Still, is there any other DOS emulation programs?

There's really only a few options, only one of which is freeware. You can try Bochs (freeware), but it runs slower than Dosbox; VirtualPC, which runs faster but is commercial, and then there's VMware which is also commercial.

Increase the CPU cycles in DOSbox to 8000 for decent OMF performance.

(You'll need a 1.3ghz though)

DOSBox isn't slow, it's slow at default. And it's all you're getting.

Try playing in fullscreen or switch output to overlay rather than surface.

win2000/XP are not made on top of DOS.
best case is dual boot, emulators arnt that great right now. i havnt used one that is an absolute beast.
or use an older system as a DOS box.

Not really. They probably have work-in-progress supprot for it.

You don't need a 4GHz to emulate a 486, you can make do with a 1.8GHz to get a full speed 486 80MHz emulated (estimated)

I've played Duke3d in Dosbox on my athlon 950, it was playable, with the screen size lowered a bit.

Ah, it's not worth dual booting. Just forget it. Maybe I could make a OMF port...

YEAH RIGHT!

I could be done, though.

In the time it took you to sit on these forums, your dual boot would be installed and working already. Or you could've gone out to a computer store and bought a refurbished 586 system.

gargoylol said:

Why dualboot? PCI sound cards break almost every dos game in existance.

False, Creative SB Live! are very good for most (99.9%) DOS games (PCI sound cards). The best for DOS games is to use Win98 (SE if possible).
The SB Live even have a DOS driver if you restart in DOS mode (which is very cool).

Even on a Win98se system the Live! causes problems. Slow FM OPL2/3 emulation (that actually slows the game itself, and it doesn't sound correct or authentic either), freeze-ups on Build games with reverb (sure there may be a hex-edit for Duke and Blood, but those only cover specific older versions) and some games not detecting the sound at all and only music (most to all of Sierra's games)

Strangely I can run the build games on my system.

I see no slowdown either... the only bad point is that the midi doesnt sound right.

I have no DOS game sound issues whatsoever with my Creative Sound Blaster 16... the cool thing is that they are still in stock.

What about those AWE32's or AWE64's? They're the same as the SB16, but with additional wavetable synthesis.

And that's not an ISA card :(