Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Did anyone find the alpha to be more scary looking/sounding then the final?

Man, I just find that the alpha was more scary, like the part that you go down the stairs in the "revised alpha" and there's the imp when you flash the light on him, scared the crap out of me. Sounded a lot scarier too.

Yeaa I just got my copy and I'm not really that pleased.... like you said the alpha was scarier and the sounds were way better :(. The game is still more then decent but not what I had hoped for.

the full game is alot more scary than that dodgy looking alpha, which wasn't even an alpha.

the only thing that does seem a little dulled down is weapon fire smoke, like stated above.

I've seen screenshots where plasma guns leave a trail along with the balls they fire, but I haven't seen this in game yet. Is it only shown on Ultra settings?

The screenie was a multiplayer screen.

-E

one thing is sure.. all the sound effects in Alpha are much much better than final,
espeically shotgun, pinky and commando.
I miss commando grunt sound in Alpha "I smell fear"
Trent Reznor should have made sound effect...:(

Tyockell said:

Yeaa I just got my copy and I'm not really that pleased.... like you said the alpha was scarier and the sounds were way better :(. The game is still more then decent but not what I had hoped for.

Exactly.

I have no idea what you're talking about.. But whatever, one thing i worried about was that the alpha ran SLOW for me. Real slow like, seeing an enemy made it go jerky as hell. But im much happier now that it's completed. I was pretty much praying that it was just a problem with the alpha, and that the full game would run smoother, and whaddaya know, it did!

I think your insane homee, the alpha kinda sucked by comparison in my opinion. Yea, I think some of the level design in the alpha was pretty cool as far as monsters jumping out at you and such. Like i miss walking up to a mirror and seeing a pinky jump out. That was uber creepy the first time it happened. However, I think overall the alphas level of creepiness pales in comparison to the final version. I think what it might be is that the alpha was our first clear view of these kind of realistic graphics combined with an intent to frighten the viewer. On that level, if you had the alpha your kind of used to the graphics by now so your not as awestruck as you were the first time you typed in: map e3/e3_1.

*Sure don't think this is a spoiler, not for anyone who's seen a horror movie*

You're not the least bit scared after looking in a mirror in a bathroom?

Yes, I was about to post something similar. The sound design in the alpha was MUCH better, but this doesn't come as a surprise (with Trent working on it, and all). Also, why won't the zombies get up after being shot, anymore? :(

The zombies constantly getting up in the Alpha was kindof irritating. I think they should have changed that but not completely wipe it out.

And idea might be that they only come back up once or twice depending on where you shoot them.

Head = 0 times
Torso = 1 time
Limbs = 2+ times

Just an idea.

As for the smoke thing, I do agree that it definitely was dulled down a lot, but I don't really mind. Sometimes the smoke got in the way of my vision. But it really wasn't that big a thing for me.

The sounds were definitely dulled down too, they aren't as good. But, I'm sure someone will somehow hack the sounds from the Alpha or somewhere and make it a mod for D3.

Well, maybe someone can rip the sounds from the alpha and make a pk4 file for us! ^_^

I don't know if it's me or if it's because the game is an alpha, but it seemed to me that the sounds from the Alpha version, although different, weren't as clear as the ones from the final product. Maybe someone could do a little editing to sharpen them up too :)

DD_133 said:

Well, maybe someone can rip the sounds from the alpha and make a pk4 file for us! ^_^

Why from the Doom 3 Alpha?
Why not from Doom 2? ;)

clokwerk1945 said:

[..] However, I think overall the alphas level of creepiness pales in comparison to the final version. I think what it might be is that the alpha was our first clear view of these kind of realistic graphics combined with an intent to frighten the viewer. On that level, if you had the alpha your kind of used to the graphics by now so your not as awestruck as you were the first time you typed in: map e3/e3_1.

See, that´s the reason why I did not play it. I want to save all the awe for the final version.

But are the sounds really this bad? Even if you leave the alpha aside?

The reason the sounds in the alpha were so much better is because Trent Reznor did them (or at least had a huge hand in them). When he left they stopped using the sounds he had contributed.

It still sounds good though...but oy, imagine if he'd been involved?

In other words, they're in love with Reznor and him not being a part of this automatically makes the sounds suck. The final sounds are fine, but they suck at the same time because Trent didn't do them....thats what I've gathered.

if trent reznor involved in the final product...
man..all the sound effect would 10 times better.

I agree if Trent woulda been able to continue his work it coulda been alot creeper.But thats a woulda coulda shoulda thing the game is out its good anough for me :)

The sounds on the alpha were much better. I found the cut scenes in the alpha were great. I ripped the Bathroom and the end scene and divx them. wish I cold post them.

The ambient 'breathing' sounds in the background however, are excellent. They add a lot to the atmosphere.

i agree in so many ways. i was just about to post something like this. first of all, there were some really excellent cutscenes that were cut out from the game. thats frustrating. also, the pinky demon slamming out of the pipe wall in the alpha - there needed to be many more sequences in the final game like that. or even just keep that one.

im in hell right now in the game, is there ever a bathroom scene with pinky and the fat zombie? that was classic.

ok and the biggest dissapointment of them all - the zombie general sound effects. he scaried the crap out of me in the alpha because he screamed stuff loudly out of nowhere! like "i smell fear!" and something that sounded like "breeeeth mortal!" sooo much scarier than the quiet, repetitive, and solemn "die" that has made its way to the final product. what the hell, the old sound effects were a sure fire way to scare the pants off the players time and time again, why get rid of them!!!

i wonder if the levels in the alpha are compatible or can be played in the final engine. anybody know?

zencat said:

im in hell right now in the game, is there ever a bathroom scene with pinky and the fat zombie

No, it didn't make it into the game.

i wonder if the levels in the alpha are compatible or can be played in the final engine. anybody know?

I don't have the alpha anymore, but I know someone who did try to load one of the alpha maps in the full game. It just gave him a bunch of errors and a black screen. I don't know if the alpha maps can work in the Doom 3 map editor, but if they do I think it might take a lot of work to get everything working again since none of the textures, sounds, or def files are in the same location as the alpha.