Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raziel

Underrated Pwads?

What are some underrated pwads that you think are very good but for some reason not many people know about? Just wondering.

Most of the good megawads are quite well-known. Here's a quick cut/paste of the basic info from my list of favourite episodes from this thread, but with the well-known ones deleted.

Doom Resurrection - Zdoom - 5 maps - by Tommy "Fatal" Quick
Death Tormention II - Ultimate Doom - 9 maps - by Paul Corfiatis, Kristian Aro and Chris Harbin
Enigma - 9 maps - by Jim Flynn
Kill! Zone 1 - 7 maps - by Don Howard
Kill! Zone 2 - limitless source port recommended - 7 maps - by Don Howard
Squadron 417 - 24 maps (but a few of them are not possible in single-player) - by Sam Lopresti, Jeff Cruser, Keith Hickman and Damon Thomas
One Bloody Night - 9 maps - by Erik Alm
Dark Covenant - 12 maps - by Keith Phipps
Odyssey - 5 maps - by T. Elliott Cannon
Ruinbros -limitless source port - 7 maps - by Kristian Aro
Insertion - 11 maps - by David Shaw, Stephen Watson, Thomas Evans and Adam Williamson
Iditarod - 10 maps - by T. Elliott Cannon
Mancubus - 4 maps - by "turdburglar"
Scientist - 11 maps - by Scientist
Perdition's Gate - 6 maps - by Alex Mayberry
Sinful Discharge - Heretic; jHeretic - 9 maps - by ICE
Trust - Hub; Zdoom - by Tommy "Fatal" Quick

ok. from now on. i mean underrated megawads, full tc's, semi tc's, and regular single map wads. k?

I wouldn't claim that mine was a completely definitive list of underrated episodes, you know.

These are all the non-mainstream megawads I have:

Cleimos 2 (classic-style wad from 1995)
Herian (DooM/Heretic/Hexen mash-up that somehow works)
Herian 2 (More of the same, but better)
Revolution! (small but innovative)
Dal02 (DM maps with SP gameplay)
Rebirth (small but nice. Great with -fast)
Garrulismo (classic-style Spanish wad with SS everywhere)
Vile Flesh (big maps that are really good)

So does that mean that everything except Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed is not 'mainstream'?

Nope. The wads I listed are ones that aren't well-known and/or no-one talks about, so therefore they're not mainstream. (the wads that appear multiple times in every 'favourite megawad' thread are the mainstream ones, and there's plenty of those)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Nope. The wads I listed are ones that aren't well-known and/or no-one talks about, so therefore they're not mainstream. (the wads that appear multiple times in every 'favourite megawad' thread are the mainstream ones, and there's plenty of those)

Well, I have been playing Cleimos 2 since 1995. It's certainly a good WAD but nothing that has any chance of ending on anyone's favorite list. But that doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

Real World - For Doom 2, set of good, mostly small maps.

Kill Allah series:
1 2 3 4 5 - Doom 2, mostly castles.

The Unholy Temple - Doom 2, mostly marble, kind of easy but I remember it fondly.

The Beginning of the End - Doom 1, 2 episodes, oldschool levels.

The Apocalypse series:
1 2 3 4 5 - Doom 1, military/industrial.

Those are the ones that come to mind that I could remember the names of, I'm sure I've seen others...

Even if Requiem is in the top 100 wads of all time list, it's still underrated big time. Requiem was practically on that list before they even thought of the list.

Temple of the Ancients - but it doesn't seem to be at the IDGames archives, and I can't remember the link to Rex's page.

There's 3 maps that I made, but they actually did really suck. :D

ok. also, i don't care if they require source ports. and i'll accept single maps too. but those are considered wads too right?

also. any good underrated/not well known mods?

Darkhaven said:

Even if Requiem is in the top 100 wads of all time list, it's still underrated big time. Requiem was practically on that list before they even thought of the list.

Requiem is definatly not underrated. Lots of people place it in their fave megawads. It used to be th best for a long time.

My personal opinion is that it has excellent maps but also its share of crappy maps...

WildWeasel said:

Temple of the Ancients - but it doesn't seem to be at the IDGames archives, and I can't remember the link to Rex's page.

Here it is. If you don't know the exact file name, search for the title.

No Neith?? :( I'm going to really have to start promoting my better maps or something.

Ruinbros -limitless source port - 7 maps - by Kristian Aro

I love this one <3

Also: Laitos by Espi is ludicrously overlooked.