Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clokwerk1945

Thank you id.

I just wanted to thank John Carmack, Tim W., and everyone who worked on this game over at id. I also wanted to thank john romero since he was involved in the original doom games and if it wasn't for him and Carmack getting together, we wouldn't have a board about doom3. I'm just very greatful to id for all the wonderful games that they have created that have not only pushed the envelope as far as graphics but also in the area of user immersion in the game. Since I was a young gamer I was playing games made by them, first with the Mars series which was a precursor to Commander Keen, and then to wolfenstein, and on to doom and quake. I remeber before I received my first pentium computer, I was incredibly excited. I had bought a copy of quake in anticipation of its arrival. When i finally received my computer, the first thing i did was install quake and play it into the wee hours of the morning. After that I was hooked on PC gaming and I would never look at the world of video games the same. Quake was the first time I had ever expirienced a true deathmatch and I was amazed. I went through the world of Quake clans and tournaments in the early days of mplayer and I was amazed at how 1 game could bring so many people together. Years went by and I was still awe struck by the first person shooters i was playing, from quake2 to half life, to unreal. All of them owed a great debt to the guys at id. They did it first, canyon abyss(?don't remember name) was the first one I ever played and they have always done it the best. I just wanted to make this post to show my gratitude to id for what they have given me, the hours of fun I had with their games, and I hope they continue making them for a very long time. Doom3 is an achievement in graphics, sound, immersion, and story(read the pdas and listen to the audio clips, doom3 has a really good story), and I personally thank all those responcible.

If you feel the same way about id and their games please post a reply about your expiriences with them in the early days and now.

I feel EXACTLY the same as you. It was in early 1995 when I first came across an id game at a friend´s house: Doom. I was immediately immersed in that kind of gameplay and graphics. At that time, I didn´t own any kind of gaming device myself so I would reguarly visit my friend just to play Doom (and Wolf3D and Keen), while my friend would patiently watch TV in the living room. I was 13 back then. Only some months later, I had gathered enough money to buy myself a fine new Pentium 75 PC - my first ever "gaming device". It was awesome! I played Doom, Wolf3D and Keen (among many other games) until my parents would eventually take away my power cable to "encourage" me to do some homework. Later that year I also got into the Heretic/Hexen series which are also powered by id technology. And in december I had my first LAN experience with another friend. We managed to set up a null modem connection and played Doom2 Coop to the break of dawn. It was so awesome, watching a green marine moving around on your screen that was controlled from ANOTHER COMPUTER!
One year later, I finally got to play the long awaited Quake - which is still the best id game ever (after Doom), because of the unique atmosphere and creepy level design. The years went by and I played all the newer games: I love Quake2 and Unreal and the more recent fps like RTCW or FarCry. But I never ceased playing the old id games.

Now I am about to experience the sequel of sequels - the continuation of the game that started it all. And I am quite convinced that as soon as I will see Doom3 live on my screen I will be 13 years old again and I will shiver in awe. I will play Doom3 until the break of dawn...it´s a never ending story.
Well, at least my parents won´t take my power cable away, this time! :)

I was at my cousins house, they had a 486 DX2 66 mhz machine and Windows 3.11 (ah, good old days). They had the shareware of Doom and we played it alot, then I got a 486 DX4 100mhz with Windows 3.11 and we both got Doom and played it then Doom II. I then played Heretic shareware and beat it but never got the game. I played Doom II for a long time playing new levels from the D Zone discs and PC Gamer discs. I remember playing some Duke Nukem and then the game Blood. I kept looking for a FPS that was as good as Doom and Doom II, but couldn't. Then I found Unreal Tournament and was satisfied, but still craved more Doom. Well I got into RPG's like FF VII and such and played them and then picked up games like BF 1942 and such. Now everything has come full circle. I got Doom 3 and really only for the exception of Unreal Tournament and Halo, no other FPS has been really good. I have LONGED for the Doom eperience again and now I got it. Thanks to John Carmack and the team. I hope that Doom 3 will be added on for many years and the new project they are on will be great. I hope that down the road the Doom series will be revisted and a new chapter can be done on the PC.

Yes, I would seriously like to thank id for soo many years of doom and quake, I played shareware doom with my dad from like 95 to 97 we played through it alot, i just within the last 2 years was able to get doom full and doom2, and now doom3, and the orgional doom series is still the best Multiplayer FPS's there are.

Same here. You people at ID rock!
Thanks for the greatest games ever.

Every game I have ever played that you have designed has been above and beyond what I have expected. Castle Wolf, Spear of Destiny, Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Return to Castle Wolf, and now, the ulitmate "King of all PC Games", Doom 3.

In my eyes, you are the very best. Releasing a quality game with very few bugs is what ALL game designing companies should do. Not only do you pioneer the gaming industry with an extremely stable graphics engine, but you design a game to have awesome content as well.

Bravo ID. Take a bow.