Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clokwerk1945

Gamespot gives Doom3 an 8.5

**I've been looking through the boards for a few weeks and just decided to sign up, so firstly nice to meet you all**

Im from the UK and have to wait another 8 days till I can play Doom 3, hence Im looking at every review I can find. Ive pre-ordered the game so I will get it no matter how good/bad reviews are but its still interesting to see what others have said about it.

The Gamespot review was one I was looking forward to (aswell as IGN and Gamespy) though I was dissapointed to see Doom 3 only getting 8.5 / 10 (85%).

Dunno about anyone else, but if you read the review, it seems like the reviewer was in a bad mode when he reviewed it :P

@[FnG]Lazz: You have to wait till the 13th or what? This is bad. I live in Germany and I would joke around with a friend that we´d book a low cost flight to London just to get the game earlier when it will be released. Now I hear it will indeed ship this late in the UK. Can´t you get the US-Version earlier? I get mine in two days (hopefully).

I agree, they are moroons,

aparently he got his copy yesterday

he probably played for 24 hrs straight, and his brains are fryed

Im telling u this couse he gave doom3 the same score

than... PAINKILLER!

WTF??

ps:

I visited this page for the past 6 months,

very nice! keep up with the doom goodness

and Im in the uk, does not come out for another 8 days! argh!!! :'(

I fully agree, you guys are morons. 8.5/10 and you're bitching at gamespot. 8.5 isn't a bad score at all. How about you guys learn to spell, shut up and stop making stupid threads.

The review is consistent with what a lot of people are saying here: weak sounding weapons, predictable gameplay, linear maps, less than stellar AI, superb graphics and enemy animations, exceptional physics, creepy atmosphere and that Hell > Xen. I agree with that review and believe that it does in fact deserve the 8.5 rating that it received.

LorD BaZTArD said:

I fully agree, you guys are morons. 8.5/10 and you're bitching at gamespot. 8.5 isn't a bad score at all. How about you guys learn to spell, shut up and stop making stupid threads.

Edited by Lazz - sorry for the pointless flame :)

Heh, not really. I just get annoyed at moronic comments and have a tendency to rant if the comment is stupid enough, thankfully though for many, I lurk more than I post, so you won't see me that often and the rest of the forums do a better/funnier job at flaming newbies anyway.

Damnit, I had a nice thought out reply and you remove the flame...way to make me look strange...er, stranger.

I don't read game site reviews, I listen to gamers. Nothing else. Doom 3 is a 98% or so on my scale cause nothing is perfect but Doom 3 is damn close.

They focused mostly on graphics and atmosphere, leaving a so-so gameplay. That's the mistake that most game designers do nowadays. But most players are also rather shallow, if it looks good, it must be good... how dumb.

So, Yes, I think 85% is deserved. A good game is supposed to be fun and that goes thru a good solid gameplay... well... maybe some people have fun with just watching fancy graphics.

Ichor said:

The review is consistent with what a lot of people are saying here: weak sounding weapons, predictable gameplay, linear maps, less than stellar AI, superb graphics and enemy animations, exceptional physics, creepy atmosphere and that Hell > Xen. I agree with that review and believe that it does in fact deserve the 8.5 rating that it received.

it does not matter if u think 8.5 is a correct score,

what I SAY is that the same people reviewed Painkiller with an 8.5 and that does not scuare,

I'm sure that like the original Doom, the main appeal will be the user made maps and mods.

So what? Painkiller is a great game. Great music, nice concept and some tough monster hordes...and those environments look stunning.

It really doesn't matter anyway. The games are two different types of FPS. One being Horde mayhem and the other Action-Horror. There is no law stating horde mayhem games can't get high scores. Different games, Different aims...same reveiw scale...whoopty doo :P

T.I.E. said:

it does not matter if u think 8.5 is a correct score,

what I SAY is that the same people reviewed Painkiller with an 8.5 and that does not scuare,

You say that as if Painkiller is herpes on CD-ROM.

LorD BaZTArD said:

It really doesn't matter anyway. The games are two different types of FPS. One being Horde mayhem and the other Action-Horror. There is no law stating horde mayhem games can't get high scores. Different games, Different aims...same reveiw scale...whoopty doo :P

man... then to read reviews in gamespot u should read first a warning sing like this.

this review is for the "enemy hordes fps only"... dont compare the score with any other first person shooter that does not have more than 25 enemies on screen at a given time... and ragdoll, and allmost no story...

to me does not make much sense really... couse both are first person shooters

And to me, your logic makes no sense. Yeah they are both First person shooters...but they are two completely different games. It makes more sense to compare Serious Sam and Painkiller than it does to compare Painkiller and Doom 3. Just because a game is the same as another type of game, doesn't mean you can compare it. Maybe I'm just looking into it too far, but honestly, does it really make sense for someone to ask you what Painkiller is like and tell them it's like doom? The guy who buys the game based on a description like that is probably going to be disappointed.

but if they ask u how is doom3 and u say well ... gamespot gives it the same score than painkiller, u will probably get the wrong impresion, instead of thinking, of course they can not be compared couse they are diferent games...

I just think that painkiller is not the same score than doom3 not even in their separated stile of fps

this... is going for too long by the way.. :)

Trasher][ said:
You say that as if Painkiller is herpes on CD-ROM.

It isn't? News to me.

Dude, if you're gonna judge a game by the score it got in a magazine compared to another game in the same magazine? You're an idiot. That's not my loss. It's just a reveiw of the game, buy some guy paid to reveiw them. I don't put much stock into a reveiw score anyway, If I play the game, and it rocks...it's a good game, if I play it, and it sucks, it's a bad game. No questions asked. Now, could you stop trying to debate a null topic? and sheesh, start making clearer sentences, it's hard to read your posts.

Painkiller isn't a bad game. Pretty fun IMO.

u must be the idiot, couse u answered my post... and at the same time u dont wanna discuss?

all this post was about just that, the score system in gamespot, if ur not interested just as u say just shush...

and I dont give a shit about spelling, couse I work in 3d graphics... and spellcheck is not in my "to do list"

english is not my mother tongue anyway.. so

que te jodan!

And besides Gamespot made good points which are all true. Some people like a soundtrack and Wide open levels, he was disappointed with the AI which does lack compared to some of the later games. So I respect his opinion and BTW 8.5 isnt even a bad score so I don't know why i'm posting this but.....

And just for me,well, All I expected from the game was a remake of doom with a new,badass engine and that is what I got andI am in love with the game

The AI is smarter than most people give it credit for. I've seen even pinky demons strafe back and forth to dodge my chaingun fire. But the smartest thing about the AI is that they know EXACTLY how to get to you. If you're in a complex room and you're up on a ledge, the AI is smart enough to run all the way around, go through some doors, and get on the same ledge you are. They don't just stand there and take your sniping. Oh no, they're smart enough to run the hell out and come meet you face to face.

The AI is nowhere near as bad as many people here make it out to be. Just because they're not saying "Go! Recon!" and then flanking you does not mean it's bad AI.

No. How does that make me the idiot? I read your damned post. I answered, short of insulting you. End of topic. I'm right and you're stupid, but you keep replying. Stop.

Ok, so english isn't your native language, good for you. Being a 3D modeller does NOT over write the need to speak english. Why is it that most moronic noobs seem to be unable to grasp the concept of spelling in a TEXT ONLY ENVIRONMENT. If you can't type...use a spellcheck.

I think everyone needs to chill about now. Discussion of the review is fine, and people may take it as they will, but you cannot have a good discussion or even arguement if you're going to result to name calling. If you don't feel you're gonna say something better than "you're stupid", I suggest you refrain from posting.

As a side note I agree with Jomero. I've had guys ducking and strafing appropriately, which surprised me since they're FREAKING ZOMBIES PEOPLE. Zombies aren't exactly the most intelligent creatures in the world. The other monsters I haven't really paid much attention to, as I'm too busy killing them.

LorD BaZTArD said:

but honestly, does it really make sense for someone to ask you what Painkiller is like and tell them it's like doom? The guy who buys the game based on a description like that is probably going to be disappointed.

Does it make more sense for you to tell them "it's just as good as Doom3"? Rating games by a scale of 1-10 is no more or less flawed than splitting hairs with genres and what to expect from each splinter. Picking two games from like genres and having two unique experiences(one more satisfying than the other) is just as common as buying a game that rates 10 in every review and you think it sucks.

Case in Point: see every "Overrated/Underrated games" thread in these forums.

Conclusion:
(1) It's a hit-or-miss, depending on the gamer and what he likes.
(2)You're not making any better of a point than he is, and you're trying to make yourself out to be the smart one! L-O-fucking-L!!!

No, but I wouldn't mention doom 3. I'd say "ah it's a game with alot of monsters in dark gothic environments. Kinda like Serious Sam with the huge monster hordes"

If asked about Doom 3 compared to the game, I'd just say it's a different style game, one for if you wanna really spooky experience.
Ultimately though, I'd recommend both for different reasons. It's that simple.

look , they gave farcry 9.2 and underline reads "superb"

Im just saying... farcry is not superb... and there's a lot of room between 8.5 and 9.2.. I would never tell anyone that farcry's far superior than doom3...

I just have the gut feeling that they rated 8.5 couse its the cool thing to do... more than beeing objective...
If they never rated anything more than 9.0 I would be fine, but they gave 9.0 to Halo wich is good but damm its slow and badly optimized and its 2 years old, and 9.4 to unreal tournament 2004, wich is a photocopy of ut2003 with cars...
aliens vs predator 2, a crap of game, that does not even get close to the original AvP and is running on the quake 3 engine gets 8.7!!!
that is a fps with scary monsters, close enough to compare? dunno

sooo... hey! I think I do make a bit of sense saying that ...

THEY RATED LOW FOR GAMESPOT STANDARDS!

Anytime a computer game does what it says itll do its an amazing thing, they prolly made this game in 1 year and polished it for 3 years, The game is without a doubt perfect, theres no glitches and theres no crashes(its just peoples computers) i wouldgive it a 10/10 because if that shitty ass ratchet and clanck that had glitches that keeps you from even beating the game gets a 10 this sure as hell deserves a 10.