Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clokwerk1945

Gamespot gives Doom3 an 8.5

Though not revolutionary in terms of gameplay - the atmosphere and the story (yes folks, there is one!) more than makes up for it. I can't believe to imagine how stupid the reviewer of Gamespot was. Fine, some of his reservations were warranted - but at least don't contradict your own points so severely. Moreso, the whole "notion" of not praising id has slightly made the review horribly opinionated - some of his points hardly made sense - particularily when the same site gave a game like painkiller or far cry better sound than doom3. I mean what the fuck?

Anyways, rant over. I love the game - best sp since Half Life.

added:

There is no way in hell anyone can justify such a low score. I do admit gameplay-wise, doom3 was kind of a let down for those seeking something "revolutionary", but doesn't it conform to the "old-school" doom style?

I don't want to get into the sounds. I think they are perfect (still not as good as Trent - which were unbelievably good). If gamespot cacn give a game like painkiller/far cry better sound, then I feel like shooting all the idiots who thought this reviewer had a legitimate point regarding the sound.

Replayability isn't good, but it certainly isn't 7. More like 8. Bitch.

The A.I is perfectly fine - the big demons do what is expected - the z-tech zombies (or whomever sport the guns) are very intelligent (strafing or ducking), but their A.I is a bit predictable, sadly. But, again, A.I is perfectly fine for doom. Its not fucking Half Life or Far Cry - that is what diffrentiates doom from them.

The reviewer complains about flashlight and P.D.A. Wow. Firstly, the PDA added to the game, made it certainly more story-driven and immersive - I frankly loved its addition. Second, the flashlight not being equipped with the gun had a purpose - to add to the "scare" factor of the game - otherwise everyone would have just sported a flashlight onto a gun and the game would have been far easier and less dark. Third, if the dumbass reviewer knew millions would read his contradictory review, he would have at least sit down and try to comprehend as to why the flashlight wasn't equipped with the firearms. iD aren't that dumb not to put that into account.

Game is far too linear. Is that what is bothering him? Or the fact that bashing a seemingly "unbashable" game somehow gives this shitty excuse for a company some creditability. If half life 2 is revolutionary or just fun to play like doom3; they'll be like...wait no one is bashing them, if we bash them - wow our credibility!

This review reeks of that bias. 9.0 at the least for a superb, atmospheric game like this.

Amen to the post above. I am SO D@MN TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THE FLASHLIGHT!!!! I love it. Sure a couple time I wished I had a light on my gun, but it was the scare factor and guess what? It worked!!! Doom 3 is perfect, almost. God I love this game.

I'm not angry at the fact that the reviewer totally fucked up on some points, I'm angry at the fact that the masses who read that review suddenly alter their opinion and embrace whatever bullshit that person spewed. Goes to say, how easy it is to marginalize the public - this time by some cynical opinions.

T.I.E. said:

I agree, they are moroons,

aparently he got his copy yesterday

he probably played for 24 hrs straight, and his brains are fryed

Im telling u this couse he gave doom3 the same score

than... PAINKILLER!

WTF??

ps:

I visited this page for the past 6 months,

very nice! keep up with the doom goodness

and Im in the uk, does not come out for another 8 days! argh!!! :'(

Painkiller had much better environments and had unique and fun weapons.
Honestly, in terms of gameplay, Doom3 is not even on par with PainKiller. Doom3 has extremely boring level design and repetitive gameplay.

fun-da-mental said:

Painkiller had much better environments and had unique and fun weapons.
Honestly, in terms of gameplay, Doom3 is not even on par with PainKiller. Doom3 has extremely boring level design and repetitive gameplay.

I playe the Painkiller demo, just like serious sam. It is very repetitive and had only 4 weapons. Doom 3 is a different experience: to scare the sh*t out of you. Really they are different things since Painkiller is a fast mass killing game and Doom 3 is a horror game.

sandmanfvr said:

I playe the Painkiller demo, just like serious sam. It is very repetitive and had only 4 weapons. Doom 3 is a different experience: to scare the sh*t out of you. Really they are different things since Painkiller is a fast mass killing game and Doom 3 is a horror game.

You missed my point, Painkiller environments had different look and feel on each level. Painkiller's gameplay may be repetitive but it was fun and doesn't suffer from annoying hinderances like Doom3.

Doom3 suffers from extremely dark and boring environments with minimal variations in design. It doesn't offer any fun gameplay elements like other games.

fun-da-mental said:

You missed my point, Painkiller environments had different look and feel on each level.

Well that is usually the first sign of sucky level design :P
Consistency is a very important factor in a game like Doom3.

Shaviro said:

Well that is usually the first sign of sucky level design :P
Consistency is a very important factor in a game like Doom3.

Consistency is suitable for stealth games games like Deus Ex or Splinter Cell, not in games like Doom 3. Problem with Doom 3 is that its gameplay doesn't quite fit environments. Its just moving point A to B, open doors, shoot stupid looking monsters. You do the same thing over and over for 10 hours.

Painkiller is the same thing, just more stupid monsters. :) Really deap down, the gameplay is similiar: you blow shit up/kill shit. They are both linear but have different styles. I like Doom 3 better.

Ok, so you folks disagree with the reveiwer. Good. But he gave the game 8.5, and to me, that's still a high score, if it was out of 100 then it would read as 85/100. Would you people be bitching if it got that score? You probably wouldn't :P

Far Cry did infact deserve that 9.2! Why? Because it looked amazing, the AI was brutal and the atmosphere was spot on, the games story was weak, but it did the job. It was also fairly non-linear in it's exectuion. You had to get from A to B, but how you accomplished it was up to you. "Do I walk up the beach and play hide in the rocks? or do I stay in my rubber boat and pick em off...or hey, that patrol boat looks useful, lets nab it and go blow some shit up" and the trees? wow, you could actually use them for cover...effectively. Made some of the DM games a pain though, as we'd be running around the map shouting "wtf is that sniper" but it was still fun finding the fucker.

Painkiller? The same again. Simple story. Great levels, great monsters and imaginative weapons. Each level had a unique atmosphere too and that's a nice bonus. People didn't like the fact that there was 5 weapons? Poor them, they missed out on the 10 most original weapons I've seen in a long time. (Each had an alternate fire, and each alternate was usually unrelated to the main) Is the game fairly simple in it's horde approach? yes, but each level nearly had it's own monster set! That's a cool touch. The Tarot card system was a pretty cool idea too, you could chop and change several bonus cards to change your bonuses.

See, sandman and fundamental kinda have the same point as me. They may be the same genre but they have different goals, now while both are comparing the two games against each other, the point is there.

Unreal Tournament 2004 was alot more than 2003 with cars. Assault returned, some of the gameplay balance was restored to UT99 standards and the new maps/modes really just played nice. The vehicles rocked, and should never of been omitted from 2003 in the first place. UT2004 also earned it's high rating. For a good reason. It's a good game.

AvP2. Yes again it was a great game, three different species, all with balanced strengths/weaknesses and the tactics you could use as either side was just awesome fun. It's still played at our lans, and with good reason. It's highly scalable and provides hours of fun, not to mention the single player campaigns where so well tied together it's not funny. I loved that story.

I'm also going to correct you here T.I.E. AvP did NOT use the Quake 3 engine...it used the Monolith engine Lithtech, to fantastic effect. The game still looks good.

Overall the problem with gamespot is it's popular, and many people use it to judge wether they buy the game or not, and if the 8.5 score deters them, good, because if they're that stupid, we don't need them polluting our forum. They just miss out on playing a great game. It's not perfect, no game is. But it does a damn fine job at it's intended purpose. Bringing us back to the blood soaked halls of mars, with bucketloads of atmosphere and pant-crapping terror, complete with a flashy interface system that works so well and a well crafted story.

8.5 is a respectable score, and I'll say it again, if you're really that pissed off about a decent score, you're a fantastic idiot. If it got 6.0 maybe you would have a point. But it got 8.5. Seriously...wtf.

LorD BaZTArD said:

8.5 is a respectable score, and I'll say it again, if you're really that pissed off about a decent score, you're a fantastic idiot. If it got 6.0 maybe you would have a point. But it got 8.5. Seriously...wtf.

Just when you think the kid has some very good, well-thought of points; you read that. Your views express your bias, and suffice to say, your bias is pretty fucking blatantly obvious.

I do agree with most of the reviews, but the bottom line for me is, is that the game is fun. I’m not as much a Doom fan as my friend is; he came over and played a bit yesterday since I had bought it. He and I got the impression that it felt a lot like Half-Life.

I agree, 8.5 is a great score. I don't kwnow why people are complaining too much.

And people who compare Far Cry score to Doom3 are missing the big picture.

Far Cry offered much more to table in terms of Gameplay, Environments, AI, physics and multiplayer. Also, it came with much lower price tag compared to Doom3.

Yes, I'm biased...I'm biased in that I think any score above 7.5 is a good score. I see these rather moronic noobs bitching that 8.5 is a bad score. I see you bitching that the game deserves a 9.0 minimum. It's stupid. I'm sorry if you don't like my honest opinion. One word for ya: Cope.

Well deep down, all reviews are opinions (well mostly). I talk to gamers, not read reviews. If it is fun, it is fun, if not, then not. Takes away from the scoring system.

VinceDSS said:

They focused mostly on graphics and atmosphere, leaving a so-so gameplay. That's the mistake that most game designers do nowadays. But most players are also rather shallow, if it looks good, it must be good... how dumb.

So, Yes, I think 85% is deserved. A good game is supposed to be fun and that goes thru a good solid gameplay... well... maybe some people have fun with just watching fancy graphics.

That is sorta disappointing to hear id's balance of focus is lopsided on graphics over gameplay. I totally agree with VincDSS that gameplay is most important and only thing that really matters. These days games should have excellent AI and seriously addictive gameplay. Maybe I just need to become a game designer since no one,not even id, it seems, can perfect the genre of 1st person shooters. The one thing I do like, though, is linear maps. But poor AI and less than perfect gameplay is a letdown. :( But it doesn't matter much since I won't be playing the game anytime soon.

I thought GameSpy and GameSpot had very honest and accurate review. Naturally the Doom purest (or game purest for what ever game) are going to want the game to get high marks and accolades, but then they are biased and the Game Reviewers don’t have that luxury, well, unless they really want their credibility shot.

As a consumer I do read the reviews because I want to get various perspectives and I know these guys know more about games than I do or at least more than I would care to know.

The points they bring up are valid, logical and reasonable. The game is dark, it’s kind of annoying, but I understand that’s part of the atmosphere and ambience of the game, however does it have to be that dark to generate the same ‘startle’ factor?

It would only seem logical that there might be some type of goggles or infrared weapon scope that would allow you to see with a little more clarity than the flash light or have a weapon with a mounted flash light, its in the future after all right?

The gun sounds aren’t that big a deal to me, but the point about the spider droids being able to mow stuff down was another type of imbalance. The graphics are no doubt the games savior, very impressive and immersive.

Despite the reviews the game to me is fun and that’s pretty much why I bought it.

Rule of Thumb: The meaning of the score is directly proportional to the criteria used to generate the score in the first place.

Like I've said in other posts this game means different things to different people. I for one wasn't impressed with FarCry, but others were. There are still some significant lighting issues in that game that they still haven't fixed, and had to pull their second patch after discovering it caused more problems than it solved.

The context of this game is TOTALLY different than something like FarCry. Read any of the interviews! The concept here was to experiment with lighting, and the physics of the environment. The concept wasn't to put you in an environment where you had to figure out how to wipe out a room full of badguys with the shotgun, or try to figure out how to use the radiation suit to explore all of the lava passages. It's a different type of game. Close quarters and "linear gameplay" was originally intended to create a sense of claustrophobia. Since I"m claustrophobic it worked like a charm.

Give it a chance, and get excited about the mods.

BuzWeaver said:

It would only seem logical that there might be some type of goggles or infrared weapon scope that would allow you to see with a little more clarity than the flash light or have a weapon with a mounted flash light, its in the future after all right?

Yes it would seem logical, but being able to see in the dark using goggles would lose the entire concept of the scary atmopshere

damn, I find it hard to play now. Very limited gameplay indeed - despite the old school nature of the game. meh.

To all the people complaining about the gameplay: Are you playing the same Doom 3 as I am? I find the game to be incredibly fun, and it's gameplay does exactly what it intends to do.

I've always found reviews to be stupid altogether. How can you compress the quality of a game into a two digit number?

Ichor said:

I'm sure that like the original Doom, the main appeal will be the user made maps and mods.

Yes.

This game is even more emabrassingly linear than Half-Life

Replay should be ZERO if it weretn for multiplayer and mods

the Firingsquad review isnt harsh enough

There were a few good scares, but most of the game is just trying to make you jump out fo your seat... it suceeds, btu even that gets boring after two or three sessions

Teh game does seem to be gettign better, so I cant realy comment until I finish... but yeah so far *everythign AndrewB warned us about is excactly right