Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucien

What is Doom 3???? (A gamers perspective)

As a gamer for many years I have grown to love various genres of games. As we all know there is no game that covers everything in regards to gameplay.(interaction,realism etc) As I got older (I'm 39 years young) I have grown to appreciate games that execute well. What is Doom 3??? Doom 3 is an old school FPS that plays great that has limited interaction with the enviroment by DESIGN.
As I have been reading the posts here some folks are critisizing the game beacuse of the lack of interaction or realism.(flash light issue etc).

Realism FPS games.
Rainbow 6
Operation Flashpoint
Swat....(ANd many others) If I want realism I will buy these games and I do own a few of them. Ae they fun? Hell yes!!!!Because I expect these games to deiliver a realistic experience by design.After playing this type of game for a while I wanted something else. I wanted to be Rambo type guy and kick some major @ss without worring how much I can hold ,how fast I can run, no worries about inventory etc.(D3)

Limited tactical gaming.
Farcry
I enjoyed this game big time but the game had serious issues.
1) Acting was reeeeeal bad!!!! The AI ws easy to figure out.Shoot one guy the others look at him a I take out the rest. The graphics were great as long as you were outdoors. Sounds fare I enjoyed the experience.

I need a basic FPS experience. HMMMMMM Shall I buy DOOM 3?? Hell yes!!!
Basic FPS

Doom 3. I am a huge Doom fan. I loved those games becuase they delivered a simple yet very entertaining gaming experience. Everybody on the planet knows (who are gamers) that ID software has a certian game design style. Doom 3 keeps to the roots of the FPS genre. Simply,moody and a blast to play. Doom is not Halflife or Farcry it is DOOM!!!!

I'm sure Half Life 2 will be a great game I loved the first one. No doubt I will buy HL2 the day its released just like I did with D3.I like both games for what they are. Simple.

Doom 3 gets a 9.8 out of 10 in my book. (there is not such thing as a perfect game 10)
I just an old guy who loves games for what they are.Doom 3 delivered in my book.

I think that the 'No such thing as a perfect game' thing would be somewhat correct... although, people may disagree when I say this, and it has nothing to do with FPS or Doom whatsoever, but Falcon 4.0 the Flight Simulator... that would have to be a 10/10 hands down. I know back when it was released it was not 100%, and even the company that made it are now defunct. But, the work that freelance developers and community game teams have been putting into this game over the last few years has been absolutely amazing. So amazing that the lead programmer on the Falcon 4.0 Project who now works for Microsoft (How Predicatable), sent the Falcon 4 Unified Team emails praising their glorious consistent efforts.

Sorry about such a long post totally unrelated to doom, but its 3am here, and i'm bored.

mistertrent said:

I think that the 'No such thing as a perfect game' thing would be somewhat correct... although, people may disagree when I say this, and it has nothing to do with FPS or Doom whatsoever, but Falcon 4.0 the Flight Simulator... that would have to be a 10/10 hands down. I know back when it was released it was not 100%, and even the company that made it are now defunct. But, the work that freelance developers and community game teams have been putting into this game over the last few years has been absolutely amazing. So amazing that the lead programmer on the Falcon 4.0 Project who now works for Microsoft (How Predicatable), sent the Falcon 4 Unified Team emails praising their glorious consistent efforts.

Sorry about such a long post totally unrelated to doom, but its 3am here, and i'm bored.

Falcon 4 was amazing. I played it for a while never learned it like I should have. It is an amazing game. No problem with the long post I like all feedback. :)

its a good game but I kind fee ripped off by paying $54 the game. Game brought nothing new to the table except graphics. All the elements in game either too repetitive or boring. Game doesn't deserve taht high price tag IMO. There are much better looking games with cheaper price.

Great post (first one). Doom is the shit. It started all the games we see today. Many critisize Doom 3 cause they can and really don't have anything else to do. Doom 3 is almost perfect. If people don't like games like Doom 3, then that is fine, but they shouldn't bash it. I don't like comparing Doom and Half Life. HL is a rip off of Doom and I never liked it. I tried 2 or 3 times to set down and go through the game, but just tired of it. Anyway glad to see that somebody that is not a teenager (26 here) appreciates Doom 3 and what it stands for.

man that was the funniest thing i've read so far. its a doom forum and the dude is talkin bout doowm and then you reply and then almost spontaniously change the subject to falcon 4.0 ...... HAHAHA no offence dude but man you sound like you were thinkin bout that for at least a few hours before you sall this opportunity to bring it up. im sorry i just got a luagh outa that one..hehe hehe

Nah, not at all, it was completely spontaneous,... After reading the post I was just thinking if I had ever played a game that was a 10/10... and Falcon 4.0 was one of them, so I thought i'd say it...

There can be a perfect game-- just it is perfect in its own right. As a flight simulator, Doom 3 sucks. As a first person shooter, it rocks. As a multiplayer first person shooter, it probably ain't so good (although I can't speak for experience). This game is primary of the genre FPS. What is the sub-genre? For better or for worse that's Doom. So the question 'how good is doom' is really 'how good is doom at being a doom FPS'. I gotta say its great.
This still doesn't mean anything though. Compare to BF1942. How good is BF1942 at portraying a real life battle? Well better than Doom, but still no good at it. It's still a great game even if it's no good at it's own genre.

I'm sorry I can't come to a point right now but alcohol has trimmed that ability from my mental vocabulary. What I can say is if you like it, it is good, and I like Doom 3, as a doom game, and as a basic FPS.