Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

A Good Thread

I've seen threads that grip the reader by the balls and keep them hooked. I have noticed that I haven't created any of them. But I'm not going for amazing, I'm simply going for good.

What is the formula for a good thread?

I know this has been done before but scince loads of n00bs are piling in, it might save us from a tidal wave of shit.

Well first off, once the thread has grabbed you by the balls, it must be careful not to crush them.

A good thread is one that encourages discussion and sharing of ideas. NOT to be confused with threads like "what's your favorite (x)". Those only require single sentence responses. And usually lead to bad humor at the most.

i know i know.. i was just being funny. Sorry. Your right tho, i good discussion in a thread usually makes it work. Theres more "one liner" posts than anything else out there tho, just try not to make habits of em and you'll fit right in.

DMFDxUconn said:

i know i know.. i was just being funny. Sorry. Your right tho, i good discussion in a thread usually makes it work. Theres more "one liner" posts than anything else out there tho, just try not to make habits of em and you'll fit right in.

Eh? I wasnt speaking about your thread specifically. It's just that I've noticed occasional dull periods on these forums. And sometimes people will get the bright idea to liven thing sup by posting something like "Who would win in a fight? (X) versus (Y)".

I haven't started a thread longer than 3 or 4 pages, but my tip is think before acting.

It's all a matter of picking the best topics as well really.

Any thread can degenerate into garbage frightfully fast; all it needs are people who don't read the entire thing before posting. A lot of posts saying the same damn thing (usually in response to a question) just makes a thread dreary.

Asking a question that can't be reasonably answered by just hitting Google (and that isn't completely retarded) is a pretty good way of making a thread. The opposite of this is "HEY CAN MY 3GHZ P4E 2GB RAM GF6800 ULTRA RUN D3??????? KTHXBYE"

Any thread that involves a philosophical or opinionated question. Anything that gets everyone thinking differently at the same time.

I'd say the basic forumla is only start a thread on subjects that you expect people to want to talk about, have a strong opinion on, or simply prove a challenge to think about. You'll get a different audience for each kind, but if you want to provoke discussion you have to play to the crowd. And if you cant, just stay in the audience, thats important too...