Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incubusspawn

Well does Doom 3 deserve the title Doom ?

Well I cracked and got xp. I cannot believe how much of a powerhouse this game is. I knew the min requirements were stiff, but jeez I cannot believe that for the first time in forever I have to play a game in the 640 resolution and everything turned off. I like the game and am glad they got adventurous with some of the tidbits and atsmosphere. I actually like the Imp even if they dont look like gorillas anymore :D What I don't like is how some of the zombies are smart and how they imps have forced suprise attacks, I understand dropping down and comeing through some walls, but from underneath stairs after you all ready looked and saw that nothing was underneath the stairs? I gues they felt we should not be able to foil ambushes :P I like the ai but so far from what I have seen Unreal 1 had better monster ai. In that game they actually run circles around you had one monster attack you and another flank you. Even hunt you down through a level in some cases. Will I see that kind of behavior later in game? or is the first 3 levels as good as they ai gets?
other than that and how they overhauled the graphics I realy like it and it definantly is a Doom :D Congrats ID you are back on my hard drive for the first time in 7 years.

Just a little beefing and whineing here because I need to. I do not mean to really compare to unreal so the following comparison is not actually comparing the two games as it is compareing graphics. Obviously Doom3 have better graphics than Unreal II. But I and so many people have to tweak the graphics so low that Unreal II in effect looks a lot better. Maybe 3 years from now we will see the true wonders of Doom3 graphic wise, but the release date was in 2004 not 2007. For Unreal fans Yes Unreal II should have been called Unreal TCA or Awakeining, just as this game Should be Doom revisited and not Doom 3 ( whats with developers these days ) But who here would have actually complained if the graphics was on the level of Unreal II, so we could actually have flawless gameplay and get into the game a little more? Yes I am ranting so maybe now is the time to remind you poor people who are actualy still reading this rant ;) That I do really like Doom3. AS I am not in any way a quake player I could not be polite and compare it to quake and still know what I am talking about just remember that whenever I mention Unreal ok ;)

"I don't like is how some of the zombies are smart and how they imps have forced suprise attacks, I understand dropping down and comeing through some walls, but from underneath stairs after you all ready looked and saw that nothing was underneath the stairs? I gues they felt we should not be able to foil ambushes :P"

Hehehe that’s pretty much the entire games sustenance, your in for one hell of a ride.

On a side note Doom 3 runs perfectly for me, and mostly everyone else too. I experience no lag in the highest settings and this PC I’m using is about 9 months old.

I would have prefered if the imps where smarter and zombie guys dumb as ****, and intelligent ambushes. Oh well. I doubt most people are getting perfect performance out of this game at the highest setting IMO.

ps what does IMO mean anyway???????? :D

ps before anyone decides to do that stupid ( whiney nOOb thing ) I do like the game and am simply discussing it. thank you very much.

IMO=emotional 1 out of ever 10 "imo" people don't actually know this.

"On a side note Doom 3 runs perfectly for me, and mostly everyone else too. I experience no lag in the highest settings and this PC I’m using is about 9 months old."

Read what I’ve said very carefully, dissect it word for word, absorb every detail as if it is a savory piece of steak. Do you understand why saying "I doubt most people are getting perfect performance out of this game at the highest setting IMO." is the result of a misread yet?

IMO is not In My Opinion then ok Ill remember that ;) oh wait a minute youre pulling leg IMO is not EMO LOL.
I dont eat red meat so if I was to absorb it like a savory pieve of steak, I would simply vomit. You dont love me do yo ;)

Ok You get no lag that would be online, not system performance... err you have a nine month old cpu you got youre last cpu pregnant and this new little tyke is faster????? and you think most everyone else got thier last computer pregant and gave birth to a new little tyke that is faster?????? ;P

I beat the game and it was AWESOME but with the replay value about as good as shit, the game feels like trash when it is completed.

That is a real downer.

It’s Doom, well, because it’s Doom. I wasn’t a Doom player but my best friend was. His impressions were that it felt much more like Half-Life than what he would have imagined.

I didn’t play any of the other Doom games so I have no frame of reference. To me the game is fun and that’s why I bought it.

ok, if anyone really knows the origonal storyline of doom- then there is absolutely no doubt that it is a doom game. i really dont see how you can call it sumthin else. the only real similarity i see to half life is the short beginning, and that is basically it. the rest is pure combat between a tuff ass marine and hell itself.- which is doom

story line obviously it is doom, My initial question was gameplay wise. Does it feel like doom would be another way to ask. PErsonaly now I am playing it I have my answer and my fear of Doom3 being quake with doom monsters is over...they did not do it. ( I am one of those who just dont like quake )

Raptor said:

Well, i think this doom is as revolutionary as the 1st doon was for its time.

bollocks!

Herbie_handcock said:

bollocks!-----?

what does that mean?.

It means "rubbish!" which means "you're talking out of your arse" which means that he doesn't agree with you.

Well, the game has more in common with Half-Life than just the beginning. AFAIK this other revolutionary game HAD a "crappy" multiplayer too. And then Counter-Strike was created...

Before I begin, let me say that I absolutey love the game so far. That said...

It doesnt come close to the original doom. Right now Im pretty deep into the delta labs. Fighting the enemies at this point has become mechanical. Strafe while imp fires, kill imp, wait for next imp to teleport, lather, repeat. The enemies are more predictable than they were in the original. And, as others have mentioned, the maps might as well be a straight line from point A to point B.

Most enemies have the same behaviors as well. Trites, ticks, maggots, and cherubs all behave exactly the same way. They might as well be the same monster.

Now before you all jump on me and say that doom had the same types of monsters, you should be aware that it was necessary to have simple behavior for doom's gameplay. Doom3 could have benefited greatly from creatures who actually stalked you instead of running blindly in your direction.

This is not to say that doom3 is a bad game. It's a wonderful game in my opinion. I have enjoyed every second of it. But it is not doom.

^^^Basically excactly how i feel, esp the part about monster behaivor

Herbie_handcock said:

bollocks!-----?

what does that mean?.

Bollocks=Testicles. Weird thing in the UK...

'Bollocks' = bad.
'Da Bollocks' = good.
'Da Dog's Bollocks' = OMFGBESTTHINGEVA.

Go figure.

Herbie_handcock said:

ok, if anyone really knows the origonal storyline of doom- then there is absolutely no doubt that it is a doom game. i really dont see how you can call it sumthin else. the only real similarity i see to half life is the short beginning, and that is basically it. the rest is pure combat between a tuff ass marine and hell itself.- which is doom

The Teleporting Imps are very similar to Half-Life, the building structure and design is very similar to Half-Life. Interacting with various people, the Health Charging machines, just to name a few things.

incubusspawn said:

But I and so many people have to tweak the graphics so low that Unreal II in effect looks a lot better. Maybe 3 years from now we will see the true wonders of Doom3 graphic wise, but the release date was in 2004 not 2007. For Unreal fans Yes Unreal II should have been called Unreal TCA or Awakeining, just as this game Should be Doom revisited and not Doom 3 ( whats with developers these days ) But who here would have actually complained if the graphics was on the level of Unreal II, so we could actually have flawless gameplay and get into the game a little more?

Most everyone playing Doom 3 were well aware of the high end graphics Doom 3 was going to offer and prepared for it.

You mentioned also you have to turn the graphics down to low and it makes Unreal 2 look better (<--your fault for not having a better graphics card or system to run better than 640 and low detail).

Also it will be 3 years before we see the full wonders of Doom 3 graphics.

Well that's what makes id software set apart from most other game companies..they actually produce something that is above the standard in the gaming industry, something new and fresh and usually ground breaking in the field of graphics/gameplay. I mean everytime they produce a game they have to out-do themselves. Any good company would want to do that.

Doom was such a big success and changed the face of gaming, set forth a trend for multiplayer and set the standard on how FPS were made. How are they supposed to out-do themselves today since the trend is already set by themselves? Well...come out with new ground breaking graphics that will only get better and make the game better when fast video cards with more memory are developed and faster computer are developed. Before long playing Doom 3 will be like playing Doom on a P4 right? I remember when I first started Doom my friend had a 486 sx 33 I believe and I just got a 486 dx2 66 he came over to my house and was like wow! Doom runs fast on your computer. So from that point on he's upgraded.

id software could not put Doom 3 out with yesterday's graphics like Unreal 2, though those are nice graphics in their own right. id software had to step the notch up a few points and make the graphics lasting; meaning in 2 years they will still be a standard to compair to and other company's can produce games using the Doom 3 engine and use the same graphics technology.

People complaining about the graphics being to much in Doom 3 better save and upgrade now because it's only gonna get more intense from here. Other Software companies are gonna jump on the D3 graphics engine band wagon. Then you will complain because your system is out of date and doesn't play any of the "new" games well at all. Or at least in low res at 640x480 it will.

It's as much DOOM as Episode 1 is Star Wars.
with that said and another huge debate started :p

I have anticpated anything new on the DOOM scene for ages, infact I was still playing DOOM, making DOOM MODS and stuffing with my 486 until I started a job with computers and someone informed me that they things called pentiums and 3d cards, so i went from DOOM2 to q3 and HL.

I think d3 really has "borrowed" way too much from HL, infact I'm astonished that they would let it be so similar in many ways.

But as a confirmed "purist" I have to say that it feels more DOOM than I expected, but for the first 10 minutes of play all I could think of was Half-Life, then imps start teleporting in and I thought of Half-Life! the whole first part of the game is basically Half-Life Day One!!!

I would of like it if it was more like the original, and instead of "playing" the first part of the story, I'd rather watch a cutscene and then start out solo.

the original story was you were left behind while the rest of the marines went in to battle, you were left to guard with nothing but a pistol. after many hours of hearing the fighting, it stops, and you realise the only way to escape is to go through alone. I would of prefered this, same as original, gives more elusiveness to the game.

but I supect that as you get further in the game u r ultimatley left alone, which should work niceley.

but I too really want to love this game, Carmack and others have been putting ideas for this game together since '91 (maybe earlier)
you could say that HL incorporated many of the ideals that DOOM already created. Or the fact that every fps since DOOM is still basically a DOOM CLONE, iD get artistic right to steal of whoever they want :)

but aside from that obvious HL comparison, I think many of the mini missions, cutscenes are remenicent of any Playstation, XBOX game in the past few years (**cough**Resident Evil)

but such such crap aside, to make it feel more like original DOOM.

SOUNDS - as mentioned everything sounds like a big lizard, the old imp and zombie sounds would probably work better. the zombies dont seem to be to be very vocal. and the marine zombies seem way to nimble and not zombified enough. apart from eyes and skin they still act and look very human. Infact I shot a zombie in the back and was worried I killed an NPC because the movement is too perfect.

COLOURS - at some points they could of tried to use familiar DOOM colours, I can't think of a way to explain this but, it all seems washed out, where's all the lovely blue computer walls from the DOOM levels. Is it just me or is it looking a bit like HALO or something,
or just too heavily influenced by certain unnamed sci-fi's. and - why have grey imps in a game where 90% of every wall in the game is grey, the classic brown imp colour makes sense here.

ENEMY DEATHS - the whole turn to flames when dead thing is old, and is awful, something like this belongs in a vampire game, and that's it. where's all the damn gibs to be left behind!

GUNS - WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SUPER SHOTGUN!!
and I believe the inclusion of a old fashioned shotgun whould be cool, like the original doom gun.

DOOM GUY - WTF is wrong with the DOOM Guy!!! why doesn't he look like that mad picture on the original DOOM title screen - he looks like some shitty EA Games "standard scoccerguy model" and what's with the gay battle suit on other marines, looks like halo or worse.
where's his badass Gloves, really is a NO FRILLS Doom Guy model, like 3 parts to him.

REPLAY VALUE - I dunno about you guys but if I had a dollar for everytime I've played e1m1 in DOOM, let's just say that I could buy a small country.
I don't want to do that crappy first DOOM3 stage again!

considering to obvious point A to B to C straight line stages and storyline events for half the enemy encounters, there will be few stages that you'll load up just to do some fragging, because all will be impeeded by a cutscene or something.

I'm just gonna stop now because I'm probably not even making sense, it is almost daylight and I need sleep, my mind is going I can feel it.....

IN CONCLUSION - I still think that jDOOM using hi-res models and textures is more like the DOOM remake we NEED to see.

i am sorry for long post

well, doom is doom- they prolly had sum regrets about sum of the layouts a few years after making the origonal doom and thought about changes they could have made. for instance, the old doom costume was a guy in a green stretch suit, wut moron would prefer that to the new armor modeling. i mean, y would you even complain about sumthing so irrevelant.

and they changed the story a little bit-of course- to a more simple story that is putting you into the more needed view- instead of you recieving a call from scientists on lunar bases- who probably wouldnt have even been able to make a transmision with the hellish experience that happened- you were actually part of the hired guards that the UAC keeps close just incase they do sumtin bad. and it has an ongoing plot now- not just get the the next level, but actually accomplish sumthing, and with this whole idea in mind, they had to start the game from an average work day- not that they thought that half life was so ingenius that they were thinking about doin it the second they saw it. and all of this halo referencing. its not halo- and there is NO connection to halo other than the fact that it is a sci-fi fps. you may say that the buildings look the same- but they dont- the only thing is that they both are placed in a semi-simalar time frame. and any regrets about the super shotgun not being in doom-3 is just stupid. the shotgun is verypowerful as is. and because all the weapons in the game are military issued only- there is only gonna be one type of shotgun because if they made 2 and one type is much better, im sure the military would consider the weaker one obsolete therefore the shotgun you had was the only one in the game.and if that isnt the issue and you are complaining how you "need" the super-shotgun- then you are just weak are too scared without the kinda protection the supershotgun gives.

i personally like the new storyline- it makes it a whole lot.... well... helpless. ther are fualts in the game- but i really havent heard any good reasons to rant at all..

BuzWeaver said:

The Teleporting Imps are very similar to Half-Life, the building structure and design is very similar to Half-Life. Interacting with various people, the Health Charging machines, just to name a few things.

I agree about the health machines. Building structure is reminiscent of Half life a bit in Mars City, but realistically, it goes way beyond Half Life in later levels. Just look at the monorail and Delta Labs 3. Just mindblowing! If you think about it the level design is Doom episode 1 on crack. Half Life was an improvement of that style.

Also, id invented teleporting imps in Doom, way before Half Life came along.

Some things are simply common. I remember someone complained that Unreal 2 was copying doom because there was shotgun. A fricken shotgun for petesakes, ID software wasn't even dreamt of yet when the shotgun first came around. And health machines are becomeing common as well. Long story short some similarites canot be helped. If the half life resemblance is the medical buildings and doctors/ scientist get over it, what half life had it so god forbid if any other game has a medical institution with interaction with npcs in it???? I think this goes in line with complaining how castle levels have been done before :P I think the health machines and lockers is much more realistic than randomly spralled items. It covers that problem nicely and we will see more of its likes in the future I am sure.

Origionality can be how one portrays a common theme. Not neccesarily creating a brand new theme. That said I see a lot of origionalty in Doom 3. For the gameing genre. We may have seen nothing we have not seen on tv or the Movies. But this is a game. I am very pleased with the game, and only question what I have all ready done. I think that whenever a company first makes a new engine for a game, they are all ready burned out on it by the time the make the gameplay and levels. It is a shame, but I think companies that buy engines have one up on engine creaters in this area.

thanks Black Hand,

Now I don't really think that they copied anyone really, I just found it surprizing that such similarities are left in and not attemted to be made to seem different. yeah teleporting imps were all through old DOOM, but the way it looks in game now just reminds me of HL when the aliens teleport in. I was just surprized that's all, as the nature of Carmack and iD, I would of thought that they would spend a great deal of time to avoid such comparison. Especially with the whole hl2 vs d3 debate, it just makes sense that they would want to make the game feel very original.

none of the above really bothers me. and I don't need a super shotgun for power, just posterity. for me it's just like not having the BFG, yeah BFG was overpowered most ppl save it for the big badasses. the super shotgun was a very remembered part of DOOM 2, which seems to be more popular among people who wern't total DOOM fans. I've seen a million posts etc. ppl who haven't thought of DOOM since '96 - "I remember DOOM, the supershotun was wicked" blah blah

it's not integral, infact it always had one purpose, taking down pinky in one hit! - about the best use it would have in Doom3 also.
I aint scared, my shotgun doesn't leave my hands unless it's empty!

But what does get me, or basically reminds me I'm playing a computer game, which sucks in such an immersing game.

How all the touch pads say "CLICK HERE" - wtf! I guess it stands to reason the biggest corporate power in the world is using mirosoft for their computer systems :)

for me all it needs is CLICK replaced with PRESS

wtf am i clicking with? my UAC marine issue mouse?

I really think this is an oversight.